Poll Will there be an Undefeated Team at Tournament Time. | The Boneyard

Poll Will there be an Undefeated Team at Tournament Time.

Will there be an Undefeated Team Entering the NCAA Tournament.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will any team be undefeated entering the NCAA Tournament? I'm saying there won't be. However there are two possibilities. UConn is one, and the other solely based on schedule will surprise many. That team is Maryland

If you vote yes, there will be an undefeated, please post which Team(s) do you think will enter the tournament undefeated.

Reaction Score
UConn. The only tests left are Baylor and Louisville. Neither team has been playing at the level needed to beat UConn. Barring anything like St. John’s in 2012 or Tulane in 2017, there are no other teams that will play UConn close.

Maryland has not played a great team yet and they have to play Iowa, Minnesota, and Michigan State. While I question all of those teams’ true abilities, they are all potential trip ups for Maryland and lord knows Brenda Frese can lose a game at any moment to any team.

Reaction Score
If Baylor had Morris, they may still be undefeated and could have given UConn their first lost or only loss. However, lack of true PG and Kalani not playing like she did last season does not lead me to believe they can beat UConn.

UofL has Durr and that isn't enough. UConn's defense can stop her. So unless BU or UofL execute their game plan 95%+ I think UConn will be undefeated going into the tourney.

Maryland might go undefeated, but we shall see.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another way to ask that question is can any of the teams that are still undefeated run the table? That would depend on their schedule, the health of their team, and how well they are playing. We just had a team drop from the ranks of undefeated. MS was dominate through their first 10 games. That can happen to any team. It happened to Notre Dame. Will it happen to UConn? Is Cal the team that could send them into their Christmas break with their first loss?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It's UConn or noone. UConn's not a lock, but if they get past Baylor, which I believe they will, they're pretty close. As others have mentioned Louisville is a one-trick pony and that doesn't work against UConn. Baylor is not at UConn's level, but at home, if they bring their A game and we don't, they have a reasonable shot.

Reaction Score
As of 12/19/18, there are FIVE undefeated teams in Top 25:
#1 UCONN: toughest games left; @ Baylor, @ Louisville
#3 Louisville: toughest games left; @ Notre Dame, UCONN, Syracuse, NC State, Miami
#5 Maryland: @ Michigan State, @ Iowa, Minnesota
#10 NC State: toughest games left; @ Syracuse, Notre Dame, @ Louisville, Miami
#16 Minnesota: @ Michigan State, Iowa, @Maryland, MIchigan State

Each Undefeated Top 25 team has at least one other undefeated top 25 team on their remaining schedule. IMHO, I believe that the two teams with the best chance to run the table to the NCAA Tournament are UCONN and Maryland. It's not going to be easy for any team, to go undefeated, BUT as a loyal UCONN fan I think they can do it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well duh, yeah!

Can there be and will there be however are two different things, and the question here is will. When viewed through the lens of the past and given the choice between one team or the field, take the field. UConn is however the only team perennially, systemically, organizationally and historically, prepared to run the table. This year they also have a nice mix of young and experienced personnel to do so. We'll know more after this switchback road trip is done. But yeah, this year, it's UConn with Maryland having an outside chance.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As of 12/19/18, there are FIVE undefeated teams in Top 25:
#1 UCONN: toughest games left; @ Baylor, @ Louisville
#3 Louisville: toughest games left; @ Notre Dame, UCONN, Syracuse, NC State, Miami
#5 Maryland: @ Michigan State, @ Iowa, Minnesota
#10 NC State: toughest games left; @ Syracuse, Notre Dame, @ Louisville, Miami
#16 Minnesota: @ Michigan State, Iowa, @Maryland, MIchigan State

Each Undefeated Top 25 team has at least one other undefeated top 25 team on their remaining schedule. IMHO, I believe that the two teams with the best chance to run the table to the NCAA Tournament are UCONN and Maryland. It's not going to be easy for any team, to go undefeated, BUT as a loyal UCONN fan I think they can do it.

Thanks PAHuskieFan, excellent post. Appreciate the research. Any team with Notre Dame on their schedule is not a good bet to remain undefeated. ND may not lose another game before the tournament. I would eliminate Louisville and NC State. Their chances of getting past ND are slim.

That leaves Maryland, Minnesota and UConn. Maryland and Minnesota play each other, so one of them will be eliminated after that game. Whoever survives that game has a chance. I think Louisville can be had. As another poster said, Louisville is a "one trick pony" (Asia Durr). Stop or slow her down, you pull their fangs.

So that leaves UConn. IMO, Baylor is the most challenging team left on their schedule. Playing them in Waco doesn't make it any easier. My thinking here is if you can beat Notre Dame in South Bend, you can beat Baylor in Waco. While there won't be any "welcome" mats at the entrance of UConn's dressing room, the detestation, abhorrence and vitriol level in the Ferrel Center at the tip won't be anywhere near the optimum level it was in South Bend. Baylor fans don't hate UConn a tenth as much as ND fans do. ;)

If you look at Baylor's OOC, it's not very impressive, although it's much better than in years past. They've played three ranked teams, #23 Arizona St. (won 65-59), @ #18 South Carolina (won 94-69), and lost @ #11 Stanford 68-63.

I'm going to be a homer here and say that I think UConn has the best chance of the remaining undefeated teams to be undefeated when the NCAA brackets are announced on selection Monday in March. I would not be too quick to overlook #13 Cal, even though UConn will be the first top 25 team they will play this season. They beat unranked Houston at home on Nov 6 to open the season by 1 point, 80-79.

While I also recognize that several AAC member programs have made a significant improvement this year (look at the scores and the number of wins of other AAC teams so far. Much better than in recent years), recently, I don't think THIS will be the year UConn suffers its first conference loss. If UConn loses this year, it WILL NOT be to an unranked mid-major (although they came close on 2/18/17 at Tulane 63-60). Tulane outscored UConn 42-35 in the 2nd half. :eek: They have not come that close before or since.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Another way to ask that question is can any of the teams that are still undefeated run the table? That would depend on their schedule, the health of their team, and how well they are playing. We just had a team drop from the ranks of undefeated. MS was dominate through their first 10 games. That can happen to any team. It happened to Notre Dame. Will it happen to UConn? Is Cal the team that could send them into their Christmas break with their first loss?
Answers from the top: Yes, 1-UConn; No-it will not happen to UConn, they've played this song before in each of the last 5 years; Cal? Really? You're asking if Cal could beat us? I wish my local bakery had as many creampuffs as Cal does on the OOC. This game will be lopsided domination.

Reaction Score
So that leaves UConn v Baylor. IMO, Baylor is the most challenging team left on their schedule. Playing them in Waco doesn't make it any easier. If you look at Baylor's OOC, it's not very impressive. They've played two ranked teams. At #18 South Carolina (won 94-69), and lost @ #11 Stanford 68-63.
Baylor has three games against ranked teams, with a win at Arizona State. I have no delusions of Baylor having much chance against UConn without a real PG, but I can't let a Baylor schedule mention go uncorrected when we actually scheduled a strong non-conference slate. Massey currently has Baylor with the 4th toughest schedule, and projected to finish 6th.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Baylor has three games against ranked teams, with a win at Arizona State. I have no delusions of Baylor having much chance against UConn without a real PG, but I can't let a Baylor schedule mention go uncorrected when we actually scheduled a strong non-conference slate. Massey currently has Baylor with the 4th toughest schedule, and projected to finish 6th.

Thanks. I stand corrected. I missed the #23 next to Ariz St. while viewing their record on ESPN. I'll correct my post. :)

Reaction Score
If Baylor had Morris, they may still be undefeated and could have given UConn their first lost or only loss. However, lack of true PG and Kalani not playing like she did last season does not lead me to believe they can beat UConn.

UofL has Durr and that isn't enough. UConn's defense can stop her. So unless BU or UofL execute their game plan 95%+ I think UConn will be undefeated going into the tourney.

Maryland might go undefeated, but we shall see.
Louisville has to play at ND before they play UCONN. ND most likely will beat Louisville. But I’m not gonna be to confident. Bad juju

Reaction Score

It seems to me that Kim only schedules a tough OOC schedule when she thinks she will have a good team. Look at how she avoided UConn when she didn't think the matchup worked for her.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Kim only schedules a tough OOC schedule when she thinks she will have a good team. Look at how she avoided UConn when she didn't think the matchup worked for her.
I hardly think that's what happened here given that Baylor had a better team last year. I can't remember the specific reason for why there was a year between the matchups but I really don't think it was concern about the strength of the teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Upcoming challenges for undefeated teams before Christmas:
  • Louisville at Central Michigan, 12/20
  • Bradley at Purdue, 12/21
  • South Dakota vs. Indiana (in Puerto Rico), 12/21

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics