Poll - Will Nika make a WNBA roster? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - Will Nika make a WNBA roster?

Will Nika succeed in making a WNBA roster?

• Yes

Votes: 78 58.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 41.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN players have a way of being productive in the WNBA once they're drafted. Nika would have to be able to show the ability to shoot and create a shot. Their aren't a lot of good floor generals in the league. Nika would be if given the right opportunity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_135237_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_135237_Instagram.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 144
Reaction Score
You might have added Crystal Dangerfield to this list, although she now appears to have found a home in Dallas. And MoJeff seems to have found a home in Phoenix, albeit for a bad team. Another example is Natisha Hiedeman of Marquette, who has certainly found a home with the Connecticut Sun. But all of them struggled to stay on a roster at first.

Nika is bigger than most of these players (a key attribute) and more rugged, although not as quick or fast. If she tried to guard any of those named above, she would have a hard time keeping them in front of her. But many slightly slow players with other skills have managed to prosper in the WNBA -- I'm thinking especially of Katy Douglas, although she was never a point guard.

I like the Dojkic comparison -- maybe there is a prototype of a Croatian PG that they both adhere to. Dojkic is strong, fit, cool under pressure, and she can shoot, but she has trouble guarding quick opponents. Nonetheless, she is prospering in the league, and I think Nika can do the same.

Dojkic and Muhl seems like pretty different guards to me. Dojkic does not nearly exert as much effort on defense and prefers to slash out of iso sets. She can pass, but is pretty much always looking for her own shot. When there was a rumor that Breanna Stewart would be her teammate in Italy, I joked that I was looking forward to Dojkic still taking all the shots. Croatia is definitely looking to be able to field both as well as Karla Erjavec, who just finished at Miami, as they all have different playmaking styles.

In trying to do whatever fits the team's needs, I think how well Nika can run a heavy pick and roll based offense has fallen under the radar. A team looking for a backup point guard who can do that might find that she has less of a learning curve than other rookies. Given the range where Nika is likely to be picked, fit and an actual unclaimed roster spot are the most important things.

Reaction Score
WNBA is too competitive. Need to be a very good perimeter shooter or be able to create your own shot. Nika has shown neither skill consistently. I don't think she rates highly with her speed, quickness and size against WNBA opposing guards.

she is a good, creative passer that will be valued. Just don't think that's enough to get drafted. She'll get a lot more playing time in the Euro league.

Reaction Score
WNBA is too competitive. Need to be a very good perimeter shooter or be able to create your own shot. Nika has shown neither skill consistently. I don't think she rates highly with her speed, quickness and size against WNBA opposing guards.

she is a good, creative passer that will be valued. Just don't think that's enough to get drafted. She'll get a lot more playing time in the Euro league.
Well that must be why she won DPOY twice.
Nika can shoot and create her own shots the reason she dont is she usually dont have to. Nika is very quick. She might not win a 100 yard dash against some other guards but she can keep up with them in the half court.

Reaction Score
Well that must be why she won DPOY twice.
Nika can shoot and create her own shots the reason she dont is she usually dont have to. Nika is very quick. She might not win a 100 yard dash against some other guards but she can keep up with them in the half court.
Just ask Caitlin Clark who begged her team mates to get Nika out of her face.

sun

Reaction Score
Doesn't she have another year at UConn?
Considering that she had a record setting year, may as well ask while her stock is riding high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom