Poll - Will Nika make a WNBA roster? | The Boneyard

Poll - Will Nika make a WNBA roster?

Will Nika succeed in making a WNBA roster?

• Yes

Votes: 78 58.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 41.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
Will Nika make a WNBA roster?
And simply being drafted & invited to training camp doesn't count.
Round & round it goes, where it will stop nobody knows....but take a stab at it anyway!

Reaction Score
I voted "Yes", but I will admit, that is a hope. What Nika brings to UConn might not translate in the W.

Reaction Score
I think she’ll make one… eventually. She may not get drafted, and she may spend a few years in one or another European league. But her skill set will evolve. What will translate to the W or any pro league is her ferocity. Not a lot players have that.

Reaction Score
I think she’ll make one… eventually. She may not get drafted, and she may spend a few years in one or another European league. But her skill set will evolve. What will translate to the W or any pro league is her ferocity. Not a lot players have that.

She will be a very popular role player who will play as long as her fouls allow. Part of pro ball is entertainment, and Muhl will entertain with her furrowed brow and that stare.

Reaction Score
I voted "Yes". What Nika brings to a team is unmeasurable. Jerry West said it best back in the early 2000 range when asked about what he saw in Kobe that the other 12 GMs didn't see, and he said he same thing about Curry, when folks were saying how Curry was too small, too weak and not going to last long in the league. Jerry West said "I am looking at the heart of a player. A player who might lack speed, lack a certain level of skill set but they have the heart of a lion" That describes Nika to the fullest.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She's a big physical guard who defends well and is a strong passer. She'll likely get a roster spot, but whether she sticks long term I'm not sold on. I think she compares favorably to Westbrook/Chong and both of them made rosters.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Wow! Excellent question I haven't even considered. :eek:

Nika has been a pleasant surprise for UConn. Especially, considering the class she came in with. Totally overlooked and undervalued by so many people, other than the Coaches.:rolleyes:

Personally, I would go home and make more money and punish players in international play and in the Olympics. :)

Reaction Score
I voted yes, but who knows if that's even a goal of hers? She'll be a great European league player if she doesn't opt for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I voted "Yes". What Nika brings to a team is unmeasurable. Jerry West said it best back in the early 2000 range when asked about what he saw in Kobe that the other 12 GMs didn't see, and he said he same thing about Curry, when folks were saying how Curry was too small, too weak and not going to last long in the league. Jerry West said "I am looking at the heart of a player. A player who might lack speed, lack a certain level of skill set but they have the heart of a lion" That describes Nika to the fullest.
Bryant, Curry, Muhl... interesting point.

Reaction Score
I vote Yes. What Nika would bring to any team that would draft her is the heart of a lion and a diamond in the rough. She was raw when she came to Uconn and developed herself into a premier player. Nika would do the same in the WNBA and will develop to WNBA standards of play, because NIKA is NIKA. GO NILA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I love Nika. But IF (and for me that's a big IF) she makes a roster and sticks, she'll have to continue her offensive scoring production. I hope she does of course.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not initially.

As a denizen of the WNBA thread on the General Board, I'm used to seeing how point guards who did well in the NCAA have a hard time finding a lasting roster spot in the W, rightly or wrongly. Some who have bounced around are now getting minutes, including UConn's own MoJeff to ND's Lindsay Allen, both of who were well-trained. Others, like Evina Westbrook, are still trying to find a spot. We've been over the reasons multiple times, but the player needs to keep working on her game.

Nika's tough as nails, defends well and keeps the ball moving to key players. However, she's got to become a viable, consistent offensive threat from mid- and long-range to snag a spot. If she has it, but hasn't been showing it, well maybe sooner rather than later.

Realistically, I could see her being like Ivana Dojkić -- spend a few years overseas, then come back. By that time, there might also be more openings with expansion.

Reaction Score
Because of the limited number or teams in the WNBA it is a challenge for anyone to make a roster as a rookie if they are not considered a top 5 prospect at their position. There are a lot of young(er) guards in the league at present, so I don't know if there will be room for Nika to be honest. I see her style of play fitting better in Europe and I think that she will make her mark there rather than in the WNBA.

However, if the right WNBA team has an opening and their coaching staff and management are really interested in UCONN as a source for players because of their pedigree and preparation, she will have a great shot at proving me wrong.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As a starter or off the bench Nika is a "glue" player who doesn't tend to score a lot, but does other things very well (pass, defend). Given the limited number of spots available, I don't think her athleticism and lengtrh are at a level to make a W roster long term. Her tenacity, intensity and UConn pedigree (yes, that matters for coaches and GM's) may give her a spot initially in her rookie year, but like Kelly Faris, that can only take you so far. I voted "no" because although she has a shot to stick initially, the W might be the hardest pro league to get established in.

Nika's proven a lot of people wrong in her time at UConn and I'm hoping she does it in the W also. This might be a better poll at mid-season because a lot will depend on her role this season and any development she's managed to improve her game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not initially.

As a denizen of the WNBA thread on the General Board, I'm used to seeing how point guards who did well in the NCAA have a hard time finding a lasting roster spot in the W, rightly or wrongly. Some who have bounced around are now getting minutes, including UConn's own MoJeff to ND's Lindsay Allen, both of who were well-trained. Others, like Evina Westbrook, are still trying to find a spot. We've been over the reasons multiple times, but the player needs to keep working on her game.

You might have added Crystal Dangerfield to this list, although she now appears to have found a home in Dallas. And MoJeff seems to have found a home in Phoenix, albeit for a bad team. Another example is Natisha Hiedeman of Marquette, who has certainly found a home with the Connecticut Sun. But all of them struggled to stay on a roster at first.

Nika is bigger than most of these players (a key attribute) and more rugged, although not as quick or fast. If she tried to guard any of those named above, she would have a hard time keeping them in front of her. But many slightly slow players with other skills have managed to prosper in the WNBA -- I'm thinking especially of Katy Douglas, although she was never a point guard.
Nika's tough as nails, defends well and keeps the ball moving to key players. However, she's got to become a viable, consistent offensive threat from mid- and long-range to snag a spot. If she has it, but hasn't been showing it, well maybe sooner rather than later.

Realistically, I could see her being like Ivana Dojkić -- spend a few years overseas, then come back. By that time, there might also be more openings with expansion.
I like the Dojkic comparison -- maybe there is a prototype of a Croatian PG that they both adhere to. Dojkic is strong, fit, cool under pressure, and she can shoot, but she has trouble guarding quick opponents. Nonetheless, she is prospering in the league, and I think Nika can do the same.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but like a couple people mentioned, why would she want to? She can go home (or closer to home), play in the right season, make more money. Not have to put up with the silly WNBA rules.

But if she wants, I'm not sure she shoots well enough (or shoots enough) for the WNBA. Although she can play defense and run an offense. So with the right team, I think she can. But it would have to be the right team. Guess depends on who drafts her.

Reaction Score
While she is amazing for UConn, i don't see her current skills set as sufficient to make a roster in the WNBA. You can think off a lot of players who were stars in college who didn't make it to the WNBA. Nika is a great defender and passer but must have a reliable offensive game to have a real shot at the WNBA.

Reaction Score
She could make a W roster but my gut thinks she will have her pro career primarily overseas. If she shows she can be a consistent scoring threat while still at UConn then her W prospects go up. Seeing as she hails from Europe, she might actually prefer playing closer to home.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see it but realistically she's got to improve her offensive game to make it at WNBA level

Reaction Score
Because of the limited number or teams in the WNBA it is a challenge for anyone to make a roster as a rookie if they are not considered a top 5 prospect at their position. There are a lot of young(er) guards in the league at present, so I don't know if there will be room for Nika to be honest. I see her style of play fitting better in Europe and I think that she will make her mark there rather than in the WNBA.

However, if the right WNBA team has an opening and their coaching staff and management are really interested in UCONN as a source for players because of their pedigree and preparation, she will have a great shot at proving me wrong.
Think Minnesota!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc