Poll Who's Your MVP of the Team. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll Who's Your MVP of the Team.

Who is the MVP for this Year.

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I voted for Aaliyah. Her stat line is off the charts. I think if we had last year's version of Aaliyah, we would be really hurting this season, given all of the injuries. But Aaliyah is 2nd in minutes played, 1st in FG%, 1st in total points scored, 1st in rebounds, 2nd in assists, 3rd in steals, and 1st in blocks. She is my choice for team MVP.
Thanks for those stats. Absolutely agree. Nika passed, Lou shot, but Aaliyah did everything. Including a great defensive effort against Siegrist, in the game that decided the regular season title.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not so long ago my vote would have been for Edwards. She's still an important part of the team but no longer MVP.
I’m sticking with Aaliyah. The extra attention she gets opens the floor for others.

I will say that this team really isn’t a single superstar and supporting cast. On any given night, any starter could end up being the MVP. Aubrey has, Dorka has, certainly Lou has, as well as Aaliyah and Nika. In my opinion, having so many players, who can go off on any given night is valuable, because it is hard to cut the head off the dragon if you are fighting a hydra.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We should do another pole on who is the “glue” player. That I think goes to Nika, but Aubrey and Dorka are also possibilities.

Reaction Score
I voted for Lou even though there's been some inconsistency on her part of late. Several other players are deserving, and without any one of them, we'd be lucky to have a .500 record since the Big East has given us the competition we always desired when UCONN was in the American Conference. The difference is, Lou's contribution was never a "given", especially since she never played at the competitive level she does now. One stat I did look at was turnovers, and unfortunately two other candidates for the artificial MVP crown lead in that category....by a lot. One can argue that they come with the territory, and that may be true, but they were maddening nonetheless and contributed mightily to each of our losses, especially the fast break passes into the stands. I always feel more comfortable when Lou is on the floor, knowing that she can get hot at any moment, and she made the shot that ultimately made the difference in the game on a number of occasions when things looked bleak. I also appreciated when she would get annoyed and sing "Le Marseillaise" to the opponent who offended her. Anyway, bottom line is they are all collectively MVP, and it will certainly be a year to remember (or forget as some may choose).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The reality is it’s hard to really identify an MVP because the team pretty much has no success without each one of the iron 5. I picked Edwards because she scored, rebounded and played good D. But a case can certainly be made for especially Nika and Lou but Dorka and Aubrey were pretty much indispensable. Kinda why this team had way more Ws than we had a right to expect, missing dozens of points and mostly missing both of the duo that would challenge for the best backcourt in women’s college hoop history.

Reaction Score
Who's your MVP player of this team? I've excluded both Azzi and Caroline do to the number of games they've missed. I included Dorka as she played 23 games compared to Caroline's 17. I have included an option for other which should be used if you want to vote for Azzi or Caroline. Please post the player's name if you choose other.
If we didn't have Nika all season we would have a far less potent offense.

Reaction Score
I voted for Lou for her scoring but if UConn lost Lou, Nika or Aaliyah they would be in big trouble.......
When you only got 5 (now 5 and 3/4) each one is precious.

Reaction Score
In my book Lou is clearly the MVP of this season. Her shooting really made a difference and she often did it under dire circumstances. Lou showed that she is a real 'baller'.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This isnt even close.

Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu222222222222!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I say Nika, and it was easy. You can say “where would the team be” for any of the starters, and it would be a true statement. Lou is so clutch, Dorka so consistent and AE just a force, but Nika is the glue.

Reaction Score
Edwards the brute kept that post open on offense and closed on defense . When a shot was needed, it was Edwards that took it..

I love LOU. Fantastic shooter, when open. Others had to make up for her "loss of scoring" when she slumped. Who made up fo Edwards aggressiveness in the post?
Nika --without her speed, aggressive play, clutch 3's a few games would have been lost.
Griffin??? She is a Pro's Pro. The kid attacks like a pro. She makes near basket shots and 3's. Honorable mention was an insult. Most Improve, certainly qualified to be on the first team you bet. With out her in certain games- a L would be

Reaction Score
2022-23 UConn Huskies Women Win Shares from Sports Reference.

1677899915312.png

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Uconn's biggest problem this year apart from injuries has been Turnovers..
How can you guys seriously consider the person leading the team with the most turnovers by far to be the leading candidate for MVP, seriously?
Takeaway our turnovers this year and we are most likely undefeated....

The MVP this year should be shared between Lou and Edwards, with the edge to Lou because of the same Turnover numbers
because, one player without the other and neither of them would have the year they are currently having...
And honorable mentions should go to both Aubrey and Dorka, who have been reliable and timely this season.

Reaction Score
All are valuable, and in any given game any one of them may have been “most” valuable for that game. You can point to each starter and pick at least a couple of games that we would have lost without that player. Aubrey and Dorka each had their moments, but have been solid rather than spectacular for the season. Nika is the glue and the energy of the team, but the quantity and timing of turnovers hurt, and she is not the player we look to in the critical moments when we really need a bucket. If asked mid-season I would have chosen Aaliyah, but her play dropped off significantly after the Tennessee game (she broke out of the slump yesterday and I hope she continues to play dominant ball going forward). For the season, however, I have to give it to Lou. It is true that her shooting percentage and scoring are down a bit (also since Tennessee), but the other aspects of her game are drastically improved from the start of the season. When the offense has stalled or the other team has been on a run, it is Lou who is most likely to hit a big shot. Although she is the biggest non-Azzi threat from three, she is not just a perimeter scorer. She has the ability to create her own shot, and can finish even with defenders all over her. She has gotten better at driving and dishing, rebounding, and has even learned to take a charge. I know that Lou came to UCONN to improve her game, but she improved UCONN. Without her, this would have been a really ugly season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom