Poll. Which team gives us the biggest challenge head-head | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll. Which team gives us the biggest challenge head-head

Which team gives us the biggest challenge head-head

• Baylor

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • Louisville

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Miss St

Votes: 70 40.7%
  • NotreDame

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
It’s between Baylor and Miss St., I would give the edge to Miss St as they have already beaten UConn. Baylor does not have a player like Vivians as well, who can help with scoring from the outside consistently
I think K. Wallace at Baylor, is better then Vivian at Miss St.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wallace has trouble when put under pressure, she has a weak left thats why she pushes ball up the court pretty well trying to avoid being put under pressure, keeping her on her left and pressuring makes her turn the ball over. Vivians also has a weak left, every time she will try to go right, if you force her left she will pull up and length affects her.

Reaction Score
WOW! This question sure ruffled some feathers. Outside of Mississippi State, I believe it will be a PAC12 team (take your pick) that will pose the greatest challenge to UCONN this year. I believe the best odds of another team upsetting UCONN is before the final game. FYI: Last year in the UCONN vs MSU game, A bettor risked $7,000 to win $100 on the Huskies. I think the Vegas odds that UCONN wins it all, will be even more in favor of UCONN this year. UCONN is playing great basketball right now.

JS

Reaction Score
Mods I apologize for my prior comment. My choice of the word ignorant meant nothing more than the Websters definition as "lack of knowledge", which was not meant as a personal attack.
Not to be argumentative; I just enjoy discussing connotations of words.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Ignorant
1) Lacking knowledge.

2) Slang: Insult used to describe another party as stupid and/or prejudiced. Often used incorrectly as the most ignorant parties in a debate tend to call others ignorant to make up for their own lack of information or prejudices.​

Yes, the straightforward dictionary definition (meaning 1) is neutral. "They were ignorant of astronomy."

But I find meaning 2 more prevalent in message board exchanges when people call each other ignorant.

I think it's most often pejorative and that people take it as such. Hence the reference in a post above to "ruffled feathers" (cause and effect of said ruffling no longer visible).

An insult only to those who don't fully understand the word.
I guess they're just ignorant -- and am sure they won't mind being called that since being suitably enlightened.

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative; I just enjoy discussing connotations of words.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Ignorant
1) Lacking knowledge.

2) Slang: Insult used to describe another party as stupid and/or prejudiced. Often used incorrectly as the most ignorant parties in a debate tend to call others ignorant to make up for their own lack of information or prejudices.​

Yes, the straightforward dictionary definition (meaning 1) is neutral. "They were ignorant of astronomy."

But I find meaning 2 more prevalent in message board exchanges when people call each other ignorant.

I think it's most often pejorative and that people take it as such. Hence the reference in a post above to "ruffled feathers" (cause and effect of said ruffling no longer visible).

I guess they're just ignorant -- and am sure they won't mind being called that since being suitably enlightened.

I'm glad to know to know that the "urban dictionary" is the end all be all when it comes to the English language. I'm sure that would have made my college comp essays much more interesting.

JS

Reaction Score
I'm glad to know to know that the "urban dictionary" is the end all be all when it comes to the English language. I'm sure that would have made my college comp essays much more interesting.
Not a cooperative response, PG. Your sarcasm is untoward.

Like I said, I so enjoy these little explorations of our (mostly) common language. So here's a bit more.

No one's saying end all and be all, nor is anyone (except perhaps you) suggesting one usage must always prevail over another regardless of context.

You've explained your intended meaning and I've explained why others might perceive it differently, in a way that I've found after long experience to be more prevalent in the present context of sports message board dueling.

Case in point: As you know, since you responded to him, a person you called ignorant said the following: "Lack of Knowledge, I Played 40 years and coached for 30! Did you play or coach? Because if you didn't then please don't waste my time with your Asinine comments!"

Now that person was breaking the board rules by engaging in a personal attack. So his post was deleted.

As was your further response, because you quoted (but talked around) the deleted overly personal protest of your perceived name-calling.

In other words, just doing my job of moderating (check college comp notes; not just presiding over but making less severe) insulting or angry board content that is, or is conducive to, a rules violation.

Capisce?

(interjection, Slang.

1. Do you understand?)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Coach Geno gave our girls credit, why can't you?
We have many here that will give you and your team its due and some that won't because they're UConn fans rather than fans of women's basketball. That's their prerogative.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
WOW! This question sure ruffled some feathers. Outside of Mississippi State, I believe it will be a PAC12 team (take your pick) that will pose the greatest challenge to UCONN this year. I believe the best odds of another team upsetting UCONN is before the final game. FYI: Last year in the UCONN vs MSU game, A bettor risked $7,000 to win $100 on the Huskies. I think the Vegas odds that UCONN wins it all, will be even more in favor of UCONN this year. UCONN is playing great basketball right now.
UConn has already beaten three of the top five Pac-12 teams which leaves Oregon and Oregon State. It would be pretty interesting to see Sabrina Ionescu and Lou shoot it out.

upload_2018-2-24_7-41-33.png

Reaction Score
UConn has already beaten three of the top five Pac-12 teams which leaves Oregon and Oregon State. It would be pretty interesting to see Sabrina Ionescu and Lou shoot it out.

View attachment 28847
I hope we get the chance to see UO or OSU play UCONN in the tournament. A team's game vs UCONN in the NCAA Tournament, is a measuring stick of that program's development.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hope we get the chance to see UO or OSU play UCONN in the tournament. A team's game vs UCONN in the NCAA Tournament, is a measuring stick of that program's development.

Have a heart. Did we not do enough to Oregon Basketball in the tournaments. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just kidding. Would love to see Oregon again. I think they are a much better team than the version we faced last year and they would be much better mentally prepared.

Reaction Score
Have a heart. Did we not do enough to Oregon Basketball in the tournaments. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just kidding. Would love to see Oregon again. I think they are a much better team than the version we faced last year and they would be much better mentally prepared.
UCONN has played both Oregon & Oregon State in the NCAA Tournament over past few years. Would enjoy seeing either of these matchups this time around.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UCONN has played both Oregon & Oregon State in the NCAA Tournament over past few years. Would enjoy seeing either of these matchups this time around.
UConn played OSU in Indianapolis in 2016 and beat them 80-51. In 2017, UConn beat Oregon 90-52, holding Ionescu to 15 points (box score). In 2007, the Huskies beat Cal, Arizona State, and Stanford in consecutive games which caused some Boneyard wags to comment that UConn had not only won the National Championship, they'd won the Pac-10 championships as well.

Reaction Score
Not a cooperative response, PG. Your sarcasm is untoward.

Like I said, I so enjoy these little explorations of our (mostly) common language. So here's a bit more.

No one's saying end all and be all, nor is anyone (except perhaps you) suggesting one usage must always prevail over another regardless of context.

You've explained your intended meaning and I've explained why others might perceive it differently, in a way that I've found after long experience to be more prevalent in the present context of sports message board dueling.

Case in point: As you know, since you responded to him, a person you called ignorant said the following: "Lack of Knowledge, I Played 40 years and coached for 30! Did you play or coach? Because if you didn't then please don't waste my time with your Asinine comments!"

Now that person was breaking the board rules by engaging in a personal attack. So his post was deleted.

As was your further response, because you quoted (but talked around) the deleted overly personal protest of your perceived name-calling.

In other words, just doing my job of moderating (check college comp notes; not just presiding over but making less severe) insulting or angry board content that is, or is conducive to, a rules violation.

Capisce?

(interjection, Slang.

1. Do you understand?)

10-4

Reaction Score
UConn played OSU in Indianapolis in 2016 and beat them 80-51. In 2017, UConn beat Oregon 90-52, holding Ionescu to 15 points (box score). In 2007, the Huskies beat Cal, Arizona State, and Stanford in consecutive games which caused some Boneyard wags to comment that UConn had not only won the National Championship, they'd won the Pac-10 championships as well.
Well, I have been actively promoting UCONN joining the PAC12!

Reaction Score

View attachment 28847
I went to see Oregon play ASU last night. Oregon was fun to watch, has size (two 6’4” starters) and talent. But they really don’t have the speed to keep up with UConn. IMO UConn would/will absolutely maul Oregon, just like last year. PAC-12 is an exciting conference and very competitive within the conference. But this year they just don’t have any truly elite teams at the level of Baylor, ND, Miss State, etc.

Reaction Score
Baylor presents the greatest challenge, and, frankly, in my opinion, it isn’t close. The dynamic for them has truly changed this year, and for two main reasons:
A. Cox is vastly improved, giving them not only the dominating presence of two quality “bigs” underneath, but the effective and intelligent passing game between the two creates very tough defensive matchup problems for any team, particularly one that lacks a banger-type presence down low ( like UConn, whose toughest banger is 5’11”).
B: The remarkable improvement of Wallace as a perimeter shooter, distributor, and lane-driver gives them a threat that balances their formidable inside game in a way we didn’t previously expect from them.

That having been said, my expectation is that the Huskies defeat them in a tight one, with the fast-paced transition game and 3pt shooting ultimately prevailing after a tough first half.

Reaction Score
I went to see Oregon play ASU last night. Oregon was fun to watch, has size (two 6’4” starters) and talent. But they really don’t have the speed to keep up with UConn. IMO UConn would/will absolutely maul Oregon, just like last year. PAC-12 is an exciting conference and very competitive within the conference. But this year they just don’t have any truly elite teams at the level of Baylor, ND, Miss State, etc.
I went to the Oregon State vs Notre Dame early in the year. I wouldn't put any of the teams, with the exception of Miss State, in the same league as UCONN. Oregon State vs Notre Dame was a solid game, and Notre Dame's experience won out at the very end. At this point in the season, I don't think Notre Dame would walk over Oregon State or Stanford. I'm unsure about Baylor, mostly because I have seen 3 of their televised games, and they are solid, but still not in the same league as UCONN.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Baylor and Miss St right now, pose the biggest threat to UConn winning #12. MS is undefeated, and Baylor has the 1 road loss to UCLA with Cox and Milkey back in Waco. Both of these teams impose their will on their opponents. BUT............they do so against teams that can't and won't play the type of defense UConn plays. We must remember that Baylor and MS are not doing what they've been doing against the type of defense they'll see against UConn.

It all begins with defense. Kia Nurse has already proven she can shut down just about anyone, as can Gabby. If you de-claw the tiger, he is no longer a threat. Take away the two biggest scorers on either team, and what do you have? A team struggling to play catch up in the second half. This scenario usually translates to a UConn victory. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom