OT: - Poll: What month will your school/district go 100% online? | The Boneyard

OT: Poll: What month will your school/district go 100% online?

What month will your district/school go to 100% online?

• September

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • November

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • December

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Sometime in 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 23 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After three days of meetings and setting up my classroom, tomorrow starts my first full week at school with kids coming in on Wednesday.

In light of both the Danbury spike and our school announcing on Friday afternoon that a co-worker is now in quarantine (no result on whether that person is a positive case), I feel like I'm entering a void of mystery. There's this illusion that we're projecting to students and parents, but the reality is online learning full-time will happen.

Without getting too existential, I'm curious when you think the school district in your area will go to 100% online.

My mind is thinking mid-October, but after the news co-worker friends of mine now think September.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After three days of meetings and setting up my classroom, tomorrow starts my first full week at school with kids coming in on Wednesday.

In light of both the Danbury spike and our school announcing on Friday afternoon that a co-worker is now in quarantine (no result on whether that person is a positive case), I feel like I'm entering a void of mystery.

Without getting too existential, I'm curious when you think the school district in your area will go to 100% online.

My mind is thinking mid-October, but after the news co-worker friends of mine now think September.

This is going to be a disaster. No one knows how to teach in a hybrid well. I can do all online pretty well or all in person. I can plan hybrid as well as possible. But it is not very good no matter what we plan to do.

There is no good solution. Our response to this as a society is really hard on the most vulnerable students I have. Disappointing.

Reaction Score
I have in school for 2 weeks. Honestly, kids have somewhat done a good job within the building. I'm at a school of 1700 and about 450-500 kids have chosen virtual only. So with our hybrid model only 600 kids are in the building each day.

I'm teaching from home for 12 weeks due to some issues with my daughter. Most of the kids I have are higher level kids and want to be there, but I definitely understand the low level kids or the high risk kids not going to do very well with this learning.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My district is having a week of training starting tomorrow, then 2 weeks with everyone online. Then about 40% signed up for 1/2 day in person starting 9/21. There will be “remote learning experience” teachers and in person teachers. I, as a special education teacher, need to figure out how to do both. As rough as the online stuff was on everyone last year it makes more sense at this point.

Reaction Score
I'm at South Carolina, honestly I don't see how we don't end up online within the next 2-3 weeks. UNC, and ECU have already moved online and have started to kick kids off campus. I tend to think we're on the same path considering how much of a party school we are and how my business calculus class seated about 120 kids in a not very large room.

Things were complicated last year here when it came to doing work online and what not before Corona hit, but this year with everything being forced online we're using a few different websites for homework, online textbooks, research, etc. It's very confusing when you have to do your homework for different classes along 3-4 different websites.

I'm from Charlotte, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if they kick us out again, but I feel for the kids who are from other parts of the country who will have to move out so soon with limited time to make travel arrangements.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm surprised districts haven't negotiated with the online home schooling companies. Many are excellent.

From what I understand in my area, online learning is the kids in front of the computer watching the teacher.

Reaction Score
Kids need social interaction... just my opinion. I Did classes online for my masters and I do way better in classroom setting with teacher available to ask questions in person. I can’t imagine how a student will do online, especially those who aren’t equipped with the tools and parents to help guide them. To many, teachers are essentially a life line and mentor. This is going to be tough.

Im praying everythingworks out and god bless teachers for all you do.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Why grandmother was in school in 1918. They had 1/2 of the students from 7 to 11, the other 1/2 noon to 4.

That makes a lot more sense than this hybrid nonsense.
I mean...they didn’t really have much of a choice? I don’t really think we can compare our options today to what was on the table a century ago.

Reaction Score
I’ve thought October 15th all along we’re all back to remote learning.

I’m starting at a new school this fall and selfishly I‘m hoping we’ll start with the hybrid model to allow me to acclimate to the school community. We start September 8th & a final decision has yet to be made. That’s the most frustrating part but I understand the need to have all of the information possible to make a final call.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sitting in virtual convocation ATM. Everyone’s attitude is surprisingly high.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Big message from superintendent is that with a <1 transmission rate CT data supports in school learning

Reaction Score
My grandmother was in school in 1918. They had 1/2 of the students from 7 to 11, the other 1/2 noon to 4.

That makes a lot more sense than this hybrid nonsense.
Except for transportation cost and scheduling dismissal and arrival so as to decrease interaction, thus cutting even more time from the day. Add that to parents need to work, child care, etc...and half day and half day becomes untenable in today's day.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Except for transportation cost and scheduling dismissal and arrival so as to decrease interaction, thus cutting even more time from the day. Add that to parents need to work, child care, etc...and half day and half day becomes untenable in today's day.

the hybrid model is equally untenable for most working parents. Younger kids need to be in school every day. Older students may be able to handle the hybrid model. Any one size fits all model is absurd.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our school district punted immediately.

Hybrid model does not start until October at the earliest - all online until then.

Not really their fault, though. New York announced that all schools could reopen and then gave them guidelines that essentially meant that in-person education was completely impossible for a lot of them.

Schools around here tend to draw from very large areas and the schools themselves are massive - not uncommon for a high school here to have 3,000-4,000 kids. With the spacing and transportation guidelines, you basically cannot operate a school of that size in this state.

Even the elementary schools with fewer kids but much less space didn’t make the grade so they were punted online as well.

Reaction Score
I’m starting at a new district this year but we’re starting remote (with teachers teaching from the classroom) until October. Then hybrid in October. The thought is there will be a spike Labor Day weekend so they want to get past that spike then go in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
School started today in my area. One HS student left in my house. Parents had option for 1st quarter of either all in-person or all online. We opted for the all online because we had a feeling at some point, there was going to be a problem and they would send all kids home anyway.

Plenty of friends who are in medical field and work daily in medical environments with corona patients are sending their kids to school.

We opted for online not because of fear of the virus spreading at the school but because we felt logistically the school was going to be forced to make drastic decisions. Seeing the videos of the college kids having big parties on and off campus leads me to believe school administrators will see similar incidents with high school kids congregating on or off campus and have to make similar decisions to what college are doing right now.

Reaction Score
the hybrid model is equally untenable for most working parents. Younger kids need to be in school every day. Older students may be able to handle the hybrid model. Any one size fits all model is absurd.
I have a special needs kid, I get it. However, some in school is better than zero. The younger the kids, the less likely they will be able to control the spread. We either continue to control the spread, or we give up and shut back down again, your choice. Ct has a .6-.8 positive rate BECAUSE we have been careful. Throwing that out the window just so we can jam as many kids in a confined space doesn't seem all that smart to me. I have 5 school age kids, I'd totally prefer that they don't bring that stuff home and infect us or grandma. But that's just me. 2 days a week seems fair iyam. It won't be all year unless it explodes. Can't go 0-100 right out of the gates.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And just like that, two periods in to first day of classes our daughter requested to go to in-person classes.

Big difference between classes going full online in the spring and half and half this year is this year the cameras are in back of room to show students and teachers live. Our daughter was having trouble seeing anything on board or hearing teacher's voice.

So, even though school said decision for first quarter was locked on, we switched today. Daughter goes to school tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Interesting scenario:

There are usually three teacher desks in the room where I teach. My desk is normally facing the windows that can open and they overlook the field. It's been my desk for 10 years.

I just got the offer of my own office for this year. No good sight lines, but it's large, decorated well, has a couch, water cooler and no meetings or students are allowed in there this year. Also, I'm friends with the teacher whose classroom I have to talk through to enter the office. Also, I'm away from the annoying people who I usually share the classroom with.

It's a no brainer to take the office, right? Pretend I have my own office, even if it's just a few weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul