• Mir Mclean

• Piath Gabriel

• Autumn Chassion

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SO I know there was a "who do you think will start" with an open ended question for a list, but I thought I'd put every player on the team and ask you to vote. You can vote for up to 5 players!

I even put a choice of "other" on top of the core 11 in case someone either wants to be funny, or thinks there legitimately is an "other" who may start. This way no one can say "well my choice was not listed"... :)

And since you can vote for up to 5 players, no one can say I unfairly "assumed" someone might be starting...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SO I know there was a "who do you think will start" with an open ended question for a list, but I thought I'd put every player on the team and ask you to vote. You can vote for up to 5 players!

I even put a choice of "other" on top of the core 11 in case someone either wants to be funny, or thinks there legitimately is an "other" who may start. This way no one can say "well my choice was not listed"... :)

And since you can vote for up to 5 players, no one can say I unfairly "assumed" someone might be starting...

Thanks for making this poll Eric. We can end this debate once and for all..............................until the first game. I take this poll to mean who starts the first game. Geno may move different players in and out of the line up after that based on their readiness and ability to start. The 5 that start the season will probably not be the 5 that start in the final game, when ever that is.

All summer I said Paige would not start because I didn't think she could learn Geno's system fast enough to begin the season in the starting unit. After reading some of the comments from Gen and Christyn Williams, I may have to walk that back. She may be ready. If she is, I'll stand corrected.

While we're at it, I'd like to know who the BY thinks will be UConn's toughest opponent this year. South Carolina, Baylor, Notre Dame or Tennessee? Will these 4 be better than the teams they'll see in the BIG East Conference? We'll have to wait until the official/complete schedule is released. Any chance on UConn going undefeated? :eek:

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I want to congratulate the two other voters who voted for Aaliyah. Your brilliant prognostication is surely based upon you extremely intelligent analysis of the team encompassed by an upper echelon knowledge of women's college basketball. I salute the fortitude of your proclamation in the face of a multitude of naysayers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for making this poll Eric. We can end this debate once and for all..............................until the first game. I take this poll to mean who starts the first game. Geno may move different players in and out of the line up after that based on their readiness and ability to start. The 5 that start the season will probably not be the 5 that start in the final game, when ever that is.

While we're at it, I'd like to know who the BY thinks will be UConn's toughest opponent this year. South Carolina, Baylor, Notre Dame or Tennessee? Will these 4 be better than the teams they'll see in the BIG East Conference? We'll have to wait until the official/complete schedule is released. Any chance on UConn going undefeated? :eek:

I take it to mean who will start the bulk of the games. The first game doesn’t mean that much in the grand scheme.

I hope the last two teams you listed were just included for completeness. I vote South Carolina with Baylor second, both above the Big East competition. I think the BE will have some teams better than ND or Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Even though Geno really doesn't "have positions," for clarity I broke it down to positions:

PG Paige Bueckers
SG Evina Westbrook
SF Christyn Williams
PF Anna Makurat
C Olivia Nelson-Ododa

I think Aubrey Griffin and Aaliyah Edwards will be the 1st 2 off the bench.
The Big East will be surprisingly good competition than people give them credit for!
I also think in order of competition I rank them: South Carolina, Baylor, Tennessee, and Notre Dame! There will be a huge difference between the 1st 2 and the 2nd 2!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Much harder then I thought it would be once I saw all the players listed. I didn't include Evina as a starter as I'm not sure she's going to be ready.
My returning starters are Christyn, Olivia and Anna. Paige is my new starter and I decided to go with Aubrey over Aaliyah. If Aaliyah a true Power Forward and rebounder, I would prefer that she starts over Aubrey. However, didn't know if she is ready.

IF Evina is ready to play right away, then she's in my starting lineup over Aubrey.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I also voted for experience over youthful exuberance, at least at the start of the season. But I acknowledge there is a very real possibility that Paige and/or Aaliyah break into the starting lineup during the season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO folks Liv Evina CW and Anna start. The 5th starter will depend on how Evina plays at the point if she does. She played the point at Tenn however playing point guard for Geno is much different and much tuffer. If Evina can play the point for Geno then Griff starts if she cant play point the way Geno expects then she moves to a wing or off guard and Paige starts with Griff coming off the bench. Geno has said the point guard is the most important position on the floor. Paige and Mir are very good but lack experience and need to be taught Geno's way. Evina has experience and needs to be taught Geno's way to play the point. Another thought is Evina will need to play the point and score. She may be better off not at the point and that leaves Paige to start at the point and Griff coming off the bench.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I take it to mean who will start the bulk of the games. The first game doesn’t mean that much in the grand scheme.

I hope the last two teams you listed were just included for completeness. I vote South Carolina with Baylor second, both above the Big East competition. I think the BE will have some teams better than ND or Tennessee.

Yes, I agree, the bulk of the season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
- Olivia Nelson-Ododa is Admiral Obvious to me, here.
- And I think Christyn Williams and Anna Makurat are not far behind. Williams can get physical when need be and Makurat "gets it," besides the obvious technical skills.
- Paige starts from the get go. She'll get the system. And if she's as good as all of us think (fans, players and Geno alike), he'll let her grow because she'll bring some intangibles that systems don't teach. Hey, that's what makes her shine.
- Evina Westbrook is a talented basketball player. When the Irish played her when she was at Tennessee, she was the ostenisble point guard, but often shifted over to a combo guard approach. I can see Geno having the two of them on the floor together. Think old-school when two lead guards took turns leading the offense depending on situation (Frazier-Monroe, Goodrich - West/Maravich). Paige has played off the ball and I have no doubt she and Westbrook can work this out.
- Griffin will get a bunch of PT at various front-court positions.
- Edwards looks uber athletic and talented, but best coming in from the bench at the start.
- Nike Muhl is a question mark. If she can get used to, well, everything, she could make a move for more PT (much like Anna did). But don't know at this juncture.

Nice issues to have. With Geno and Chris, they'll get better, helped by playing in a better conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I picked my starting lineup based on the start of the season. I suspect it may change by the end of the season by tournament time. I also suspect that with this group "starting" won't mean the same thing as it has in the past few years given the depth the team should have.

As many as nine players from this group could get significant minutes this season if they hit the potential we all hope that they have.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I put Paige and Griffin in there. I can certainly see that not being the case. I just like Aubrey's physicality, aggression and relentless motor. And Paige is Paige, but Geno does not typically start freshmen. Maybe swapping Anna for Paige is the more likely call.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So glad to see that 100+ people have voted. Not to take anything away from the "who will start?" thread, but it's much easier to take the pulse of the BY in a poll that shows up on one simple page.

Looks like the majority feel the core 4 of Evina, Christyn, Anna and Olivia will start and it's really evenly split between Aubrey or Paige for starter #5. What a great problem to have - debating between two uber-elite, but very different players, for the 5th starting spot, then having the other one, Edwards, Muhl, Mclean, etc off the bench.

It's no surprise that Geno's comments have not only been effusive about the freshmen (well THAT is a bit of a surprise), but he also said that they are all so good and competitive that he will absolutely need to find PT for all of them. Shaping up to be a very fun season.

Reaction Score

I'm in agreement regarding South Carolina and Baylor. Should Oregon be considered?

No idea about ND because of Ivey taking over. Regarding Tennessee, I get the rivalry history but I think they're a ways away. Better than some BE teams....no idea, as they're rebuilding and have a lot of new players on the roster this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Like several other's I have my doubts on Westbrook's surgically repaired leg, but I put her in the line up. I wish basketball was a 6 player game because I really want to put Edwards in the line up. Nice problem to have: too many starters.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So glad to see that 100+ people have voted. Not to take anything away from the "who will start?" thread, but it's much easier to take the pulse of the BY in a poll that shows up on one simple page.

Looks like the majority feel the core 4 of Evina, Christyn, Anna and Olivia will start and it's really evenly split between Aubrey or Paige for starter #5. What a great problem to have - debating between two uber-elite, but very different players, for the 5th starting spot, then having the other one, Edwards, Muhl, Mclean, etc off the bench.

It's no surprise that Geno's comments have not only been effusive about the freshmen (well THAT is a bit of a surprise), but he also said that they are all so good and competitive that he will absolutely need to find PT for all of them. Shaping up to be a very fun season.

I’d like to be a fly on the wall during a coaches meeting in Geno’s office. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I’d like to be a fly on the wall during a coaches meeting in Geno’s office. :rolleyes:
He said in another thread, regarding the freshmen (including Evina as a "newbie"), that they are all INCREDIBLY competitive. He acknowledged that among the 7, there are different levels of competitiveness, but he noted their general lack of fear and desire to compete.

I think he even said that their "nature" was going to make for an exciting season, or something similar...

Carnac

Reaction Score
Like several other's I have my doubts on Westbrook's surgically repaired leg, but I put her in the line up. I wish basketball was a 6 player game because I really want to put Edwards in the line up. Nice problem to have: too many starters.

Rocky, I’d bet the farm that Edwards gets starter minutes, and is one of the first two players off the bench. I think she earns her bona fides early in the season. I can't discount her experience playing with the Canadian National team as a 17 year old, and for the most part, holding her own. She was playing against grown women. I also think she’ll be on the floor late in most games as the season progresses. ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom