Poll: UConn vs Providence | The Boneyard

Poll: UConn vs Providence

Did you ever feel that UConn could or would lose the game?

• Yes

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 103 84.4%

• Total voters

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Clearly our women are fatigued, mentally as well as physically. Their mindset was probably to go through the motions and pick up the win and go home (dorm). The opponent was supposed to be a cupcake. They are not super human and allowed to "slip" along the way. However, when the chips were down, I felt they would grind it out and come through with a W. Geno's post game interview was very understanding and he was defensive for his team. We all know he'll get a lot of mileage, from attitude of the last 2 games, when they practice prior to SC coming to town. ;);)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I've been on teams (wrestling teams, but the same dynamics apply) that showed up some nights just wanting to get out of the gym and go home. Not saying that was what happened last night but there was a similar look/feel. Made it through the grind, time to recharge and reload for the stretch run.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, the team would go up 12, 15, 17 points then kind of lose focus. Providence made some furious scoring flurries then someone on the UConn team would hit a three or get an and-one and the Huskies would go on a run. All game, they’d turn it on and off. But it always felt like the Huskies were in complete control of the game

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The talent gap between the two teams was significant. Providence had nothing to lose so they adopted a defensive strategy where every cutter got bumped, dribblers were slapped and blocked and posts doubled and fouled immediately. UConn only shooting 6 foul shots is criminal. It should have been 30.

Reaction Score
Never!! I still believe there is not a team in the BE that can beat Uconn. The game Villanova won last year was an anomaly that won't happen again. It's like Halley's Comet, It comes around once every 77 years. Oh Ye of so little faith, rejoice, for help is on the way and our future will be bright. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Could be they had Sunday on their minds and just wanted to move on. Not their best effort, jus went through the motions.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Yeah, the team would go up 12, 15, 17 points then kind of lose focus. Providence made some furious scoring flurries then someone on the UConn team would hit a three or get an and-one and the Huskies would go on a run. All game, they’d turn it on and off. But it always felt like the Huskies were in complete control of the game
I agree. I did not play collegiate athletics nor did I stay in a HI last night, however, I can only imagine what it takes to stay mentally focussed for 40 mins when you are tired, dinged up, etc. They are doing their best with what they have, and that should be good enough for us. They make a mistake? Meh. I don't expect perfection.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The talent gap between the two teams was significant. Providence had nothing to lose so they adopted a defensive strategy where every cutter got bumped, dribblers were slapped and blocked and posts doubled and fouled immediately. UConn only shooting 6 foul shots is criminal. It should have been 30.
I often think the refs think they're "keeping it fair" by not calling stuff on UConn's opponents...

Reaction Score
Never crossed my mind. I figured the game would be closer than the first matchup.

Reaction Score
When Providence cut it to a 6 point deficit, was the only time a "possible" loss entered my mind. Griffin's 3 pointer, at that point in time was a dagger and unexpected. I expect someone like LLS to be that person. Recently, Dorka and AG have stepped up in critical moments, and delivered. Very positive going forward for the team and takes some pressure off of LLS.

Reaction Score
It was very clear to me that the team was running on fumes. 50/50 balls weren't even close. Was there a sense of "lets just get this over with"? I think there was to be honest. There was very little engagement. Even Geno was slamming the scorers table a few times, he just couldn't get them going.

It happens. These are young adult college students. Hopefully, they're bought into Sunday, but, who knows.....

Reaction Score
Never say "never". I "believed" that the Huskies would hang tough and win. I did consider
that a "L" was possible = eg. strange bounces, odd fouls, some very "hot" Friar player
shotting the lights out. But the next game is the focus. GO HUSKIES!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Did I think they would go down - no.

Whether they were thinking ahead to SC or just wanting to get it done and leave, don't know. I do believe the constant clutching, grabbing, slaps on the hands or wrists or arms, the banging underneath the boards and nothing being called is really bothering them a lot.

Now i get the refs can't call everything but there has been a lot of obvious fouls that have ignored by the officials. Lou was mugged just about every time she went in the lane. Grabbed and held trying to get thru a screen. Yet, I think the team thinks if they touch somebody a whistle will blow.

Now, this team believes in themselves and each other. I think many underestimate this fact. They know some one will pick up the slack when things are off. They dig down a come out fighting for the win. Last night Dorka and Nika led the the way. It was the same mentality with Villanova. We have a iron 5.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Just curious if others felt the way I did last night.
When the score got down to a 6 point difference, Uconn was not able to score and Providence was gaining momentum, anything was possible. Uconn had so much determination, even though they were running on empty, they scored just enough to win.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Never!! I still believe there is not a team in the BE that can beat Uconn. The game Villanova won last year was an anomaly that won't happen again. It's like Halley's Comet, It comes around once every 77 years. Oh Ye of so little faith, rejoice, for help is on the way and our future will be bright. GO HUSKIES!!!!
On any given night, it is possible. When your mind is willing, but, your body is weak.

Reaction Score
The mental fatigue is showing in the last few games. Maybe the Tennessee game really took a lot out of them and some cracks were exposed in the subsequent two games. They need a breather and a ray of hope for some relief. Getting Azzi and CD back would be a huge boost, as much from a mental boost as anything. Lou may be the one that could benefit the most. Geno said she may have lost 15 lbs. in this recent gauntlet of games.

Reaction Score
Providence didn't have enough talent. Villanova did. There were still several very nervous moments in last night's game. We are just plain beat. I hate out of conference games during the league season.

Reaction Score
I never want to believe that UConn could lose, ever, but unfortunately losing is a possibility when they were playing like they did last night. This year I have seen the UConn men lose games in the 2nd half when they had a pretty comfortable lead in 1st half.

So yes I did think it was possible they could lose, at a few points when the lead was small, though I wouldn’t say I was overly stressed. I assumed UConn would likely pull it together and they did.

Reaction Score
I think we were all of the same mindset as the players -- "Let's get this one over with."

The team will be coached with a strategy toward winning on Sunday, but a respectable loss to the #1 undefeated defending champs shouldn't cost UConn much in the polls, nor will it dampen prospects for a possible NC with a more complete roster.

One way or the other, there will be a lot of ink spilled come Monday.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No I never thought that they would lose the game, I was worried that someone might get injured the way the refs were letting the Friars play. AE got 3 fouls early, none of them were as bad as the Friars were doing to both AE and Lou.

The last two Big East games have been called the same the Huskies touch someone it's a foul and unless blood was drawn the Friars or Wildcats could play hack a sack and get away with it. Geno needs to address this with the league officials because someone is going to get hurt if the officials don't start calling those fouls. If they start calling them then UConn should be able to run their offense and win big.

Reaction Score
I do believe the constant clutching, grabbing, slaps on the hands or wrists or arms, the banging underneath the boards and nothing being called is really bothering them a lot.

Now i get the refs can't call everything but there has been a lot of obvious fouls that have ignored by the officials. Lou was mugged just about every time she went in the lane. Grabbed and held trying to get thru a screen.
It has always been this way. It goes WAY back. I think the teams that win it all simply have two characteristics. They can score through contact and they can score in the mid-range. Teams will continue to bump and grab until it either gets called or it becomes ineffective. The refs can call all of them because teams would stop fouling if they started calling the fouls. Many of them simply don't like Geno so they won't. It is no coincidence that we have struggled since Geno went off at the half against Tenn.

Reaction Score
At one point in the second half my head said "This game is way too close for comfort." However...when I really think we can lose I start to talk (loudly) to the TV, do a bit of pacing and that kind of thing. None of that happened, so no, I didn't think providence was on Providence's side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom