• The worst QB since Johnny Mac

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Need more information

Votes: 62 33.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We don't really know yet, but curious what people think about him so far.

Reaction Score
If anyone votes for anything other than "Need more information" it's based on emotion.
Perhaps for you. Others may be quicker studies. I thought he showed more poise than CW. He showed a better arm. And he also ran better (a surprise).

Agreed it's a small sample size. But it's enough to make a judgement.

Reaction Score
Great. We're putting up a poll on an 18 year old kid who showed great courage on Sat. Just great......

Reaction Score
I'll say he's the best pure passer I've seen here since Dan O, but is faster and is better at running with the football. May even have a quicker release than Dan. There are some observations that can be made from his first performance, sure looks like he is real good one. Would have been nice to see Shak Phillips out there on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I think the funniest/craziest thing is that Cochran has become an after thought so quickly.

Reaction Score
If anyone votes for anything other than "Need more information" it's based on emotion.
How about throws a better ball and runs forward if given the option. I thought that Saturday was one of the windier afternoon games at the RENT and I thought that he did well. Catches made and we are not polling anything.

Reaction Score
How about throws a better ball and runs forward if given the option. I thought that Saturday was one of the windier afternoon games at the RENT and I thought that he did well. Catches made and we are not polling anything.

He showed poise, command, and has a ton of potential. But I'm not ready to annoint him yet.

Reaction Score
I didn't record the game - forgot to - ESPN3 for the first month got me screwed up. But I did get a chance to watch the recording at a friends house last night. Boyle, I think - got damn lucky he didn't get picked off for 6 points in the final 3 minutes of the game. DAMN lucky. He made a bad, bad decision to throw into coverage in the middle of the field. Other than that single throw, I don't think he made many mental errors. He followed that up by pressing the issue on another ball, that turned into a dropped tip drill for USF, and it was not on target. If lady luck is going to smile though, I'm not going to complain. We need it.

He has work to do on getting his throws accurate, but that comes with reps and coaching. If he's not accurate a year from now - then there is an issue to discuss.

Most importantly to me - as I just noted elsewhere. The kid looked in charge. No doubt about it - IN CHARGE. That's what you need from the QB - above all other qualities.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'll say he's the best pure passer I've seen here since Dan O, but is faster and is better at running with the football. May even have a quicker release than Dan. There are some observations that can be made from his first performance, sure looks like he is real good one. Would have been nice to see Shak Phillips out there on Saturday.

Phillips played and dropped 1 or 2 passes.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I didn't record the game - forgot to - ESPN3 for the first month got me screwed up. But I did get a chance to watch the recording at a friends house last night. Boyle, I think - got damn lucky he didn't get picked off for 6 points in the final 3 minutes of the game. DAMN lucky. He made a bad, bad decision to throw into coverage in the middle of the field. Other than that single throw, I don't think he made many mental errors. He followed that up by pressing the issue on another ball, that turned into a dropped tip drill for USF, and it was not on target. If lady luck is going to smile though, I'm not going to complain. We need it.

He has work to do on getting his throws accurate, but that comes with reps and coaching. If he's not accurate a year from now - then there is an issue to discuss.

Most importantly to me - as I just noted elsewhere. The kid looked in charge. No doubt about it - IN CHARGE. That's what you need from the QB - above all other qualities.

Yes, yes he did. And if it had happened, it would have come in a meaningless game in a lost season, rather than one we really cared about. It will likely also be a lot more of a teachable moment for Boyle, as opposed to if this happened is, say, a scrimmage. There was nothing but good in the long term for UConn on Saturday. Maybe I'm just a sunshine pumper, IDK.

Reaction Score
He showed poise, command, and has a ton of potential. But I'm not ready to annoint him yet.

The only thing I'll say to this is that since, Orlovsky, we haven't a player throw the ball like that since. That may be more an indictment of how we recruited the position which is a head scratcher when you consider MAC qbs over the years, Drew Willy at Buffalo, etc.

The kid has legit arm and good footwork, coordination.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of burning the redshirt, but I think Whitmer has demonstrated his ceiling. Now that they went to Boyle, They need to commit to him. He does seem to have a higher ceiling. Let's not forget he's a freshman and has been the starter for exactly 14 1/2 days, without the benefit of Spring practice.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes he did. And if it had happened, it would have come in a meaningless game in a lost season, rather than one we really cared about. It will likely also be a lot more of a teachable moment for Boyle, as opposed to if this happened is, say, a scrimmage. There was nothing but good in the long term for UConn on Saturday. Maybe I'm just a sunshine pumper, IDK.

What I think is awesome about his first game, is that the circumstances put him in position in a 4 minute game winning situation. He had to move the ball, for us to have chance. If I'm not mistaken, we had a 3 and out on pass plays. The D managed to get us the ball back, and that's when he got lucky. We were pinned way back

(which IMSNHO - is a big issue moving forward - Buggs is the ST coach no? Why the hell is McCombs catching that ball inside his own 10 yard line? Let the ball go. If they down it, they down it. If not - just let the ball go - too much can go wrong. If it's a touchback, we get it at the 20. no time off the clock. That was NOT a good decision. Our coaching and decision making on punt returns needs to improve) If we start that drive at the 20? Who knows - so many things that could have led to a win on SAturday. So frigging frustrating and angering for me. )

Anyway - it was on that final possession he got lucky, and I think made his worst decision of the day. ANd he got lucky. He made another risky play after and got lucky. We used up all our luck for the hail mary though.

It's ok - he'll have opportunity to learn.

There was no time on Saturday that I felt like he wasn't in charge on the field though, and that includes the clock management thing that cost us that precious time at the end.

That is pretty damn impressive for a kid that age, making his first start.

Reaction Score
For those saying he needs to be more accurate, I would argue he is very much on target, but throws very hard and needs some touch. He was high on several throws which I ascribe to first game exuberance but they were not widely off the mark.

I cannot make excuses for the receivers, and won't try, but it is clear they were having trouble handling some of the lasers throw their way. Foxx on the other hand cannot claim that. He had some beautiful balls thrown right to him.

Reaction Score
I had to go with the incomplete (Need more information).. Yeah, from what I saw Saturday I was encouraged, and I view him as better than Whitmer, but at the same time, he's only played one game... one... How he fairs the next few weeks will be more telling. I LOVE how relaxed he looks back there, He just looks the part, moreso than Whitmer; HOWEVER, he's got to develop that sense of urgency, which is a MUST at QB.. He doesn't have total command of the offense yet... He's clearly ahead in terms of pocket awareness, running ability, a liver arm, size, but he's now gotta put it together and LEAD (i.e. when running for a 1st down don't try and lower his shoulder, this ain't CT hs football where he can beast on a defender... or simply run out of bounds to avoid contact... ALSO, clock management in a 2 minute drill... gotta be better than what he showed).. Just my observation so far..

I'm excited about this kid though...He's bringing life to this team that's for sure... Our WR corp needs to help him out and catch the football...

Reaction Score
Or maybe you didn't include the correct answer.

Maybe. I'm not perfect. Just trying to get a sense of what people felt like they saw on Saturday. Sometimes it's hard to get a gauge due to the extreme views of people (he's horrible, he's amazing, etc.).

Reaction Score
Need more info. The drops definitely hurt his stat line and prevented us from getting a win. He looked good at times and looked horrible at times. That's to be expected for a freshman QB. All that said I think we win on Saturday had Whitmer been on the field. There were a ton of drops but Boyle also killed a number of drives with wild throws. He was high or long far to often. I'm not making any excuses or Fox because he was horrendous but on both deep passes he was WIDE open. Had the balls been thrown with some touch they would have hit him in stride.

Boyle needs time to grow and learn. I think he should have been redshirted but learning on the field will be good for him.....but bad for Wiest's prospects of landing this job.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I mean Johnny McEntee wasn't that bad. He threw 12 TD's and 8 INT's in 2011. That's a hell of a lot better than Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Phillips played and dropped 1 or 2 passes.

I didn't see that, nor is there anything in the game stats about any passes to him, complete or incomplete. He was in briefly at the beginning of the game, but that was it.

Reaction Score
I thought he played very well all considered. I think some here have unrealistic expectations for a freshman stepping in at quarterback. Does Kemba Walker step in right away? Who would have thought? Boyle obviously has a huge upside and it is my hope that in time he will meet all of our expectations.

This doesn't mean much after the fact, but I would have preferred that Whitmer was given one more chance with the Foley coached line. I thought Whitmer was playing well except in a few unfortunate instances. Otherwise, I have no problem playing Boyle to see what he can do. Need more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom