(Poll) Starting PG | Page 3 | The Boneyard

(Poll) Starting PG

Who should start at PG?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you attend practices?

And from what I've seen in games, with my own eyes, Gaffney is just as good and the team runs well with him at point. He was building tremendously last year, with real in-game experience, not practice, and I felt like he was coming into his own and finding a great role within the lineup. I feel like he's being set back (almost back to being a true freshman), and our offense is off kilter at the moment with him and Cole starting (a starting lineup I don't love). I'd let the kid shine and sub in Cole.

I don't. But Hurley does, and said more than once that Cole was the best player in practice. So I figure he has a better read on it than either of us. They each have different strengths, but I don't think Cole is holding back the offense. Playing them together isn't working, on that we agree.

Reaction Score
The second game was a struggle. Most of the team looked flat.

Didn't the team put up 100 in the first. I think it is way to early to say Cole and Gaff aren't working.

Reaction Score
We've all had such a small sample size. The chemistry hasn't really been there with ANYONE on the team yet, so I think people jumping to this conclusion that Gaffney and Cole don't work on the floor at the same time is just crazy. The chemistry is lacking because we haven't practiced in 2 weeks. Total boneyard over analysis. I get it, we haven't seen a basketball game since last year, but guys just let our coaching staff work through things. Those of you writing off the combo of Gaffney and Cole being out there together might very well look stupid in a few weeks. Chemistry is developed both through playing games and practice, both of which have been limited for our team in 2020. I think one thing is for sure, we do have a high ceiling, we have a lot of talent and our team is relatively young, so we may take a few tough losses early in the season but we will continue to improve. Do you guys remember how much better we got last year as the season progressed? At the end of the season no one wanted any part of having to play us. The JC years were very similar. You could sometimes get his team in November or December, but come February or March once he had guys playing to his standards forget about it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So I posed this in another thread, but it's more appropriate here: If the next game is Th, giving DH almost a week of practice since U Hartford, what do you think the odds are he starts both Gaffney and Cole again on Th?

Reaction Score
So I posed this in another thread, but it's more appropriate here: If the next game is Th, giving DH almost a week of practice since U Hartford, what do you think the odds are he starts both Gaffney and Cole again on Th?
85%

Reaction Score
I’m actually pretty impressed with Cole - especially the offensive part of his game. That three point jump shot is liquid and why are people saying he can’t distribute ? you see that pretty little pass he had to Sanogo Friday night? Don’t get me wrong I understand his defense isnt the greatest but it isn’t like gaffney is playing like Ricky moore out there. If you take the starting five, who besides bouk is going to hit a jumpshot ? Can’t count on polley right now and he brings zip to the table if he’s not splashing. we desperately need that second scorer, plus Cole has shown he can hit two or 3 treys in a row - which is huge. Besides that little sequence with Martin and Whaley late in the game Friday Cole was the reason why we opened that lead up. I’m rj all the way over gaffney. Gaff will be a solid player for us when all is said and done. Nothing wrong with that.

Its been two games. In game 1, Polley had 14 pts and 7 rebounds on 50% shooting. In game 2, the team was +11 with him out there for 15 minutes despite shooting just twice.

Put some respect on Ty Polley's name. He's a baller not a gunner who helps the team by making the right reads. The second scoring option should be Polley. People have to know, learn, and accept their roles. That's how things improve.

The Hartford Game was won due to Bouk, Gaff, and Whaley. RJ Cole had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game. You forgot to mention that Gaff completely outplayed Cole in the Hartford game. Gaff and Whaley were responsible for opening up the lead and maintaining it.

#FeedPolley
#BigEastGaff

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The 2 is really a stretch for him. He has a combo forward body and probably needs to play closer to the basket until he gets a semi-respectable shot.
He played a lot of guard in HS, and his senior year perimeter shooting was very good. We haven't had an opportunity to see much of a sample of his shooting here yet. He's never going to be a four, and if he progresses and goes to the league, it will most likely be as a two. But heck, he's already said he wants to emulate Pistol Pete.

Reaction Score
Its been two games. In game 1, Polley had 14 pts and 7 rebounds on 50% shooting. In game 2, the team was +11 with him out there for 15 minutes despite shooting just twice.

Put some respect on Ty Polley's name. He's a baller not a gunner who helps the team by making the right reads. The second scoring option should be Polley. People have to know, learn, and accept their roles. That's how things improve.

The Hartford Game was won due to Bouk, Gaff, and Whaley. RJ Cole had absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game. You forgot to mention that Gaff completely outplayed Cole in the Hartford game. Gaff and Whaley were responsible for opening up the lead and maintaining it.

#FeedPolley
#BigEastGaff
It’s been 2 games. Let’s see what happens. Both have the potential to be very good. I kno I’ve seen Cole play twice and I like what I see - refreshing to see a pg/g shoot well for us. Gaffney is steady and solid. He’s not going to wow u. He’ll be a calming presence. Polley had 1 good game and non existent game. Let’s see where we are in a month. These are all good problems to have.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is not coming out of the starting lineup and neither is Cole. I rewatched the Hartford game (the first half so far), and Jalen is our best defender of the opposing team's lead guard. His defense in the first half is excellent; I don't know where all the Gaffney shade comes from. He has quick feet, he's athletic, he is fairly relentless. On offense he's got guard glue. He makes very few mistakes, he is our man at the top of the arc directing traffic, making passes, penetrating (which he is getting better at) and holding the offense together. His assist numbers will rise.

I haven't seen enough of Cole on offense to really comment too much, but I can see that he can shoot it, and I think he will be quite the scorer for us as he gets going here after his long lay off of not playing actual games. I have a feeling he has a lot up tricks up his sleeve when it comes to scoring, that he finds a way to get his twos up, and that he may well prove to be a gifted facilitator. I am not seeing that he is as good on defense as Jalen, he is shorter, and not as quick and springy as Jalen, nor as athletic.

All this being said these are our two guards this year that will be running the point for us, spending probably what, 60%-70% of the minutes playing together. Hurley, as a coach and former point guard relishes ball movement and floor generalship, and these are the two who will be bringing it, mostly together.

So give it a minute and watch what happens. To state the obvious, how our backcourt functions will be one of the main keys to our success this season. Hurley knows what's up, that's why these two are out there.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Gaffney is not coming out of the starting lineup and neither is Cole. I rewatched the Hartford game (the first half so far), and Jalen is our best defender of the opposing team's lead guard. His defense in the first half is excellent; I don't know where all the Gaffney shade comes from. He has quick feet, he's athletic, he is fairly relentless. On offense he's got guard glue. He makes very few mistakes, he is our man at the top of the arc directing traffic, making passes, penetrating (which he is getting better at) and holding the offense together. His assist numbers will rise.

I haven't seen enough of Cole on offense to really comment too much, but I can see that he can shoot it, and I think he will be quite the scorer for us as he gets going here after his long lay off of not playing actual games. I have a feeling he has a lot up tricks up his sleeve when it comes to scoring, that he finds a way to get his twos up, and that he may well prove to be a gifted facilitator. I am not seeing that he is as good on defense as Jalen, he is shorter, and not as quick and springy as Jalen, nor as athletic.

All this being said these are our two guards this year that will be running the point for us, spending probably what, 60%-70% of the minutes playing together. Hurley, as a coach and former point guard relishes ball movement and floor generalship, and these are the two who will be bringing it, mostly together.

So give it a minute and watch what happens. To state the obvious, how our backcourt functions will be one of the main keys to our success this season. Hurley knows what's up, that's why these two are out there.
Pretty well-reasoned take. Do you see the 60-70% of minutes played together sticking through the season, or until one of the two stands out as our PG? I just can't get over the feeling that having them both on the floor is taking minutes from somone else who can potentially deliver more impact per minute. And who that other player is will depend on who we're playing.

Reaction Score
Pretty well-reasoned take. Do you see the 60-70% of minutes played together sticking through the season, or until one of the two stands out as our PG? I just can't get over the feeling that having them both on the floor is taking minutes from somone else who can potentially deliver more impact per minute. And who that other player is will depend on who we're playing.
I hear you, what you say is true also, there is so much talent on this team. For example, I am still watching the Hartford game, near the end of the first half, and Hurley has Jackson bringing the ball down, and initially playing at the top of the arc facilitating passes.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is a tough choice. I'm going counter to all the quick takes on the yard. Let them both keep showing what they can do. Too early to make a decision between the two of them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'd start RJ and keep him on short leash based on his D
Gaff was better last year coming off the bench
The one guy I would not start is Polley - cant start the game in a 4 vs 5 situation

Reaction Score
Gafney all the way. POG VS UHart.. No reason why they can't both play at the same time.
They play too well together. Gafney and Bouk have a bond unlike any on the team.
Why is no one talking about the pass from Martin to Whaley full court for Pork Chop dunk? Play of the game at critical point. Two great players.

Reaction Score
Where's are center to step out and knock down 3's. Isn't that today's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom