Poll, Sanity Check: The BY vs GA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll, Sanity Check: The BY vs GA

You vs Geno, who knows basketball better

• I am a BB God. Geno should retire now and name me HC.

• I am smarter than Geno. He should hire me so I can correct his errors. (I want CDs job.)

• I am just as smart as Geno. He should call me for advise.

• I am pretty good at BB, but Geno is better. I wouldn't have the nerve to criique him to his face.

• Geno is the best coach of all time. It really doesn't matter what I know.

• Geno is the basketball God. Those who dare to critique him shall burn for their blasphemy.

• None of the above. Geno may be smarter than me but I reserve the right to critique him.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Love the OP. Vowel Guy those people who shared they are less smart than you could just be less egotistical :rolleyes:. I assume the donalddoowop is one of those that did not choose to be less smart than you since he appears to have all the answers. From what I gave seen/heard abuot Geno I think he would agree that he makes mistakes. And yes those mistakes may have cost him a championship or two but the last time I checked he is human so I accept that. Plus he gas won a couple.

If they had won those two games would these posters be saying something else.

I hold Geno in high regard concerning his expectations and requirements of players. Playing time is earned. I think Geno prepares his players for life as much as he does for games and that is far more important.

I doubt that a couple of the responders to this thread, who call themselves UConn fans are actually that since I rarely see them post anything positive about the team. Names withheld to protect the innocent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are ridiculous in your way of thinking.
I think this was written for you.

UConn managed to win 36 games in a row before losing and some still argue he spent four months playing the wrong players at the wrong time — too many minutes for starters in blowout victories, too many minutes for starters when his top reserve, Azura Stevens, could have helped in the third quarter of a Final Four loss to Notre Dame. The latest two losses came on overtime buzzer-beaters, and the Huskies played those games like they did all games. You don’t scramble an approach in March, though it’s convenient to argue he should have now that there’s an “and-1” on the final record.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Love the OP. Vowel Guy those people who shared they are less smart than you could just be less egotistical :rolleyes:. I assume the donalddoowop is one of those that did not choose to be less smart than you since he appears to have all the answers. From what I gave seen/heard abuot Geno I think he would agree that he makes mistakes. And yes those mistakes may have cost him a championship or two but the last time I checked he is human so I accept that. Plus he gas won a couple.

If they had won those two games would these posters be saying something else.

I hold Geno in high regard concerning his expectations and requirements of players. Playing time is earned. I think Geno prepares his players for life as much as he does for games and that is far more important.

I doubt that a couple of the responders to this thread, who call themselves UConn fans are actually that since I rarely see them post anything positive about the team. Names withheld to protect the innocent.
If they had won this season's game it would have been because Geno did not make the mistakes he made. I had no comment on last years game. A true fan does not have to be positive in every remark they make. What is the point if your post? You pointed out some of the same things that some others have pointed out. Sometimes Geno makes mistakes and they have hurt. Some so called true fans wont't admit he makes any mistakes. So you are saying that Z did not earn more playing time in that semi-final game when Dangerfield, Nurse, and KLS were struggling. I hold Geno in high regard also but I don't always agree with his decisions. Isn't that is what a message board is for, to express opinions? You are like so many on here who believes everyone is wrong who does not agree with your opinion. By the way, one of UCON'N's pitches to recruits is if you want to win a NC, come to UCONN. Well, they did everything but that. Am I also wrong about that? The team had a great season and did not accomplish their main goal. There is no big deal about that. However, there is no big deal about anyone commenting on what they think about that. I never said I had all the answers. Show me a post I made that indicated I had ALL the answers. I see you don't post much and I can understand why.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I want to point out (again) an extraordinary decision which Geno made four years ago (against all intuition and probably all advice) which directly contributed to UConn reaching the Final Four in the last two years.

That was the decision to convert Gabby from being a point guard (as she was in high school) to being a forward. I don't believe that Muffit, Vic, Jeff, or ANY other coach would have made that decision, or would have been able to keep Gabby from transferring if they had tried to do that with her. She would have been a fairly good point guard in college, although the lack of a 3-point shot would really have limited her in that position. With Moriah and then Crystal in the mix, she might not have started and probably would have been a four-year bench player. And UConn wouldn't have had anyone to guard Kalani Brown, Alaina Coates, A'ja Wilson, or any of the other bigs that have played against them in the last four years (until this year when Azura arrived, and she wasn't ready for that defensive responsibility anyway).

Now Gabby can look forward to being a high first-round draft pick in the WNBA (never mind being touted on ESPN as the best athlete in all of college basketball, either men or women), instead of being maybe a second-round pick as a point guard.

That decision worked out really well both for UConn and for Gabby, and I don't think there is any other coach who could have pulled it off, if indeed any of them would even have attempted it.
After seeing Gabby jump just ONE time, I think there are many coaches who would convert her to a front court position. Her talent was not concealed in any way. She was also acknowledged as an Olympia potential high-jumper which would help to identify her as a rebounder.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Well the poll has run it's course, but before it fades into Boneyard oblivion, a final comment or 4.

First, thanks to all of you who voted. I was surprised and gratified by the participation level. As a newbie I didn't expect it.

Second, a thank you to all who could not participate in the vote because the choices were too restrictive, but who took the time to express their opinion. I should have included a "none of the above" from the get go, and only did so after so many of you expressed the same point of view. After adding that choice, 12 of you came back to vote for it.. That's sticking to your principles. Live and learn, I shall endeavor to do better next time.

Third, as to the poll itself: The results were pretty much predictable, but maybe that's because I phrased the choices in a way that lead posters to the "correct" choice. Choices 4 & 5 and to a lesser extent 3 are the safe, middle of the road, reasonable choices. And most of us went there. 1 and 2 of course appealed to the egocentric or the wiseguys out their, I have no idea which side of that coin those 6 Yarders are on, I'm just hoping that they were having fun. And for the 7 guys who voted Geno a basketball god, I guess he is as close to that as they come, but maybe you were having a little fun too.

Finally, it was my hope that with all the pain, anger, doubt, all the negativity of the Final Four loss, the poll would give us all chance to put things into perspective, that in examining our estimation of our basketball knowledge against the recognized standard for coaching excellence, we might just be humbled a little bit and laugh at our own sense of self importance. I was not entirely successful in that regard, but some of you saw it. I'll take the small victory. ;)

Reaction Score
There is a LOT more to coaching a NCAA WBB Team, than what happens in game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I voted #6....... I hate summertime and hot weather... so I know I aint trying to burn for no blasphemy :oops:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I voted #6.. I hate summertime and hot weather... so I know I aint trying to burn for no blasphemy :oops:

What would a Blue Devil know about burning in the fires of hell? Seems like you might need a Demon Deacon to pray for you. ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What would a Blue Devil know about burning in the fires of hell? Seems like you might need a Demon Deacon to pray for you. ;)
Actually, I always wondered what happens in Hades when Duke plays DePaul. It sets up a confrontation between Devils and Demons, both of the Blue morph. Does that conceivably lead to a cold day in hell?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS BASKETBALL HOLY CAN YOU CALL ME, KING NAISMITH THE 12TH,:confused::confused::confused::confused: INSANE?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Really? 36-0 on the season, up by 7 at the half, but hey let's change the starting line-up that's worked all year. Yea, that's a good idea.
Actually, Geno had changed it up a couple of times during the year and YES, he needs to be less rigid and let how the game flow dictate what personnel are on the floor. Just because we note a flaw in how a game was managed and yes, he did not manage the second half well vs. Muffet, does not mean we want to indict him or fire him. He did not have his finest hour but in a large sample of his whole career, this blimp is just that, a blimp, which came at an unfortunate time. He may have been thinking his two guards would snap out of their shooting funk, only Geno knows but he certainly has in the past made smart, necessary and the correct adjustments. My only curious instinct wonders if he would admit he erred in judgment on this one.

You have always had insightful opinions and yes, some posts irk me to an apoplectic level at times due to the lack of logic, however in this case, I agree with the post you seem so "irked" by. It's ok if we disagree but don't be so dismissive with the GIF (which I removed) as you are acting like it is so self evident the original post was out of line and ludicrous, which it was not. Again, I almost always appreciate your posts as even when I disagree, they make me think-this one, not so much.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, Geno had changed it up a couple of times during the year and YES, he needs to be less rigid and let how the game flow dictate what personnel are on the floor. Just because we note a flaw in how a game was managed and yes, he did not manage the second half well vs. Muffet, does not mean we want to indict him or fire him. He did not have his finest hour but in a large sample of his whole career, this blimp is just that, a blimp, which came at an unfortunate time. He may have been thinking his two guards would snap out of their shooting funk, only Geno knows but he certainly has in the past made smart, necessary and the correct adjustments. My only curious instinct wonders if he would admit he erred in judgment on this one.

You have always had insightful opinions and yes, some posts irk me to an apoplectic level at times due to the lack of logic, however in this case, I agree with the post you seem so "irked" by. It's ok if we disagree but don't be so dismissive with the GIF (which I removed) as you are acting like it is so self evident the original post was out of line and ludicrous, which it was not. Again, I almost always appreciate your posts as even when I disagree, they make me think-this one, not so much.
Well you are wrong too. The depth of wrongness on this one is mind-boggling. It's not something a sane person would do.

I like that GIF. This one too.

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
I will repeat:

Gettysburg is the price the South had to pay for Robert E Lee's genius. (Shelby Foote)

This FF defeat is the price we are paying for Geno Auriemma's 11 National Championships.

Reaction Score
127 Boneyarders have conceded to knowing less about Basketball than I do. This thread just keeps getting better and better.

:D:):D:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom