Poll...over the years who's done more damage to UCONN's D1 football program? | The Boneyard

Poll...over the years who's done more damage to UCONN's D1 football program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

1) Gene Defilippo

2) Mike Tranghese

3) Jeff Hathaway

4) Equally all of the above

All have been bad but I'd pick #2 by 12 lengths.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I tend to think Marinatto wins this one, and not Tranghese

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is still tbd as the program is still near its peak. The main suspects are either unknown or not on this list. The clubhouse leader at this point has to be John Swofford. Aiding and abetting would be Jack Swarbrick, and the leadership at Pitt, Cuse, and whomever blocked PSU's entry back in the day.

BC, Flippy and Shalala are world class bags, but their actions ultimately won't be that important. If we can add value like I think we can, we'll eventually be OK.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I disagree with the premise. UCONN's football program has been wildly successful given its development as a former 1AA program. No damage has been inflicted so how could anyone be responsible for inflicting damage.

Truth be told, UCONN benefited from the first set of defections from the Big East. Still too early to tell where this next chapter takes us.

Although most folks have already pushed the panic button.

Reaction Score
IMO I think 'damage to' or things done 'to damage' the fb program can take many forms. Other than trying to assign blame to one of the persons listed, the selection could be expanded to refer to damage in terms of recruiting, player development, team marketing, all coaching selections, conference alignment or realignment, losing games that should have been won, fanbase, NCAA violations and penalties, etc. I know the list could go on and on, but just providing it as food for thought. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I disagree with the premise. UCONN's football program has been wildly successful given its development as a former 1AA program. No damage has been inflicted so how could anyone be responsible for inflicting damage.

Truth be told, UCONN benefited from the first set of defections from the Big East. Still too early to tell where this next chapter takes us.

Although most folks have already pushed the panic button.
How on earth did losing Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech help UCONN and the Big East???????

Reaction Score
I tend to think Marinatto wins this one, and not Tranghese
I don't think Marinatto can take a p!ss without calling Tranghese or the other Providence mafia first. He's a puppet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How on earth did losing Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech help UCONN and the Big East???????

As uconndogs said, the defections helped UConn, not the Big East, which is true.

Reaction Score
what damage was done?
Um, losing 5 premier D1 football teams from the conf, 3 of which won NC's in the sport, and which eventually may lead to the breakup of the conf as we know it and/or possible loss of an automatic BCS bid? Not to mention TCU grabbing the life preserver thrown to them by the B12. I mean look at it from a head coaches point of view back in 2004 telling prospective recruits that.."yeah we play Miami, VTech, Pitt, Cuse, WVA, BC, Cuse".....to now telling them "yeah we'll be playing Villanova when they upgrade, UCF, Rutgers, Temple, USF, East Carolina".

Reaction Score

It allowed us to get into the conference one year early with a good team (Dan O and that crew). We then faced an easier path to two conference co-championships without having to face VTech. It helped a developing program imo.

Reaction Score
It allowed us to get into the conference one year early with a good team (Dan O and that crew). We then faced an easier path to two conference co-championships without having to face VTech. It helped a developing program imo.
Ask Susan Herbst if she thinks it's helping UCONN now and helping with the predicament the school is in now.

Reaction Score
Spot on. Inviting Pitt to the BE turned out to be the worst thing that happened to the conference bar no other person or event when you really start to de-narrate the history. Denying Penn St was the pivotal event that turned out to be the demise of the conference in the long run. It just took a long time to implode. Imagine a conference headlined with Penn St, Miami, Pitt, WVU, VTech, Syracuse, and BC. Pretty tough neighborhood. Add UConn and Rutgers and there is your New York market and a big TV contract.

Swofford, BC, Syracuse...all of that was just the outcome of the Penn St debacle.
Good point, but that was just another Tranghese/Gavitt screwup because of a lack of foresight about D1 football. All they cared about was hoops, hoops and more hoops, and unwisely told Penn State to take a hike because they were just awful in basketball and still are. Read Jacobs article this morning......

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-jacobs-bc-uconn-column-20111012,0,5187779.column

Reaction Score
Nan, my Scooby senses are telling me we're getting a lot of newly registered BC fans trolling on this board. I'd like to think that people aren't that small to do something as gutless and childish as that, but we are talking about BC fans so.......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, my Scooby senses are telling me we're getting a lot of newly registered BC fans trolling on this board. I'd like to think that people aren't that small to do something as gutless and childish as that, but we are talking about BC fans so.......

Nah, I know this guy and he's not a BC fan. He does get excitable sometimes, though, but he's hardly the only one these days.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Denying Penn St was the pivotal event that turned out to be the demise of the conference in the long run.

I don't get this one. If that Penn State thing happened back when it was actually possible, UConn would still be D-1AA for football and probably A-10 for basketball. There would be no championships in hoop and probably no UConn 2000. But Rutgers would be in better shape.

Reaction Score
I don't get this one. If that Penn State thing happened back when it was actually possible, UConn would still be D-1AA for football and probably A-10 for basketball. There would be no championships in hoop and probably no UConn 2000. But Rutgers would be in better shape.
Not sure I'm following you but are you saying that UCONN never would have upgraded football if Penn State had been accepted into the Big East and Toner never would have hired Calhoun? Or Geno for that matter?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure I'm following you but are you saying that UCONN never would have upgraded football if Penn State had been accepted into the Big East and Toner never would have hired Calhoun? Or Geno for that matter?

UConn never would have upgraded football. The Eastern football teams would have broken off. JC doesn't win championship in whatever league UConn is left with. Maybe in the job he takes after UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain I'd vote for the message board if it was an option.

Reaction Score
UConn never would have upgraded football. The Eastern football teams would have broken off. JC doesn't win championship in whatever league UConn is left with. Maybe in the job he takes after UConn.
I think they would have upgraded, Lew Perkins had that on the drawing boards as early as 1990, that's why he hired Skip Holtz and got the ball rolling on building the Rent, while Gampel was opened in 1990, only 4 years after JC and Geno were hired. The football schools would have stayed, they were just too stupid like everyone else back then who joined the BE to see what was coming, and remember that back in those days college football dollars were not yet going parabolic and Big East basketball ruled the world, on ESPN and CBS. I mean one of the original invitee's to the Big East conf was Holy Cross for christs sake. It took a greedy slimeball like Swofford to see what was coming down the pike a few years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom