Poll on the Football Forum Re: Coach Diaco | The Boneyard

Poll on the Football Forum Re: Coach Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My MBBall brethren:

I know many of you frequent the football forum but I'm sure some of you don't. If you are a football season ticket holder, I would like to direct you to a poll pinned on the football forum asking whether or not you will renew your subscription if Diaco is kept on as head coach next year.

I honestly didn't think anyone cared that much when I started it, but we have over 75 votes now, which is getting significant. We know that the Athletic Department at least to some degree visits this website. Our voices are strongest, and our feedback here is most clear and honest. I know they'll be hearing many people's thoughts at the Foundation, but poll results really could be of use to the administration as they start making decisions regarding the future of UConn football and by extension the entire AD. Your input is important as part of the highly dedicated sect of UConn nation that resides in this little corner of the internet.

Thanks for taking a minute.

Poll: Renewing Season Tix if Diaco Stays?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But... can UConn afford not to afford his buyout?

That is the question.

Bingo another year is going to begin a spiral which will leave the till dry anyway, who in their right mind wants to buy tickets to watch the debacle the guy is leading?

Reaction Score
For those who know more about the football side of things than me, is this situation at all redeemable even if they do fire Diaco? Because from afar, the program looks like it is on life support, and irrespective of whether Diaco stays, it's hard to be optimistic that it will even exist at the FBS level ten years from now. There is little talent currently in the program, there is no incoming talent, and there is no reason to think that we will be able to attract a hot head coach. We have somehow fallen behind UMass or at least damn close and you'd probably need more than two hands to count the amount of FCS schools who could handle us.

The incentive to try to improve is obvious, but how realistic is it, and at what point does it become such a long shot that it is no longer worth investing in the program?

I went to the Syracuse game in September and the BC game this past Saturday. The team that played Syracuse looked like they had a pulse. Matter of fact, it was a completely different team in the second half of the season. They came within a hair of beating #20 Navy at their place.

Reaction Score
For those who know more about the football side of things than me, is this situation at all redeemable even if they do fire Diaco? Because from afar, the program looks like it is on life support, and irrespective of whether Diaco stays, it's hard to be optimistic that it will even exist at the FBS level ten years from now. There is little talent currently in the program, there is no incoming talent, and there is no reason to think that we will be able to attract a hot head coach. We have somehow fallen behind UMass or at least damn close and you'd probably need more than two hands to count the amount of FCS schools who could handle us.

The incentive to try to improve is obvious, but how realistic is it, and at what point does it become such a long shot that it is no longer worth investing in the program?

I went to the Syracuse game in September and the BC game this past Saturday. The team that played Syracuse looked like they had a pulse. Matter of fact, it was a completely different team in the second half of the season. They came within a hair of beating #20 Navy at their place.
Of course it can be turned around, you're as good as your head coach and we have the worst head coach in the country. If we don't fire Diaco our leadership is totally f---ed up and there is reason to hit the panic button as a UConn athletics fan.

Reaction Score
Of course it can be turned around, you're as good as your head coach and we have the worst head coach in the country. If we don't fire Diaco our leadership is totally f---ed up and there is reason to hit the panic button as a UConn athletics fan.
The Uconn football program is going nowhere. Now thats a hard very bitter pill to swallow but swallow it you must. How many different coaches have they had since moving to D1? Ive heard the same about the previous coaches and the program still languishes at the low end of mediocrity. Sucks but those are the facts. Diaco being replaced will do nothing to improve the program.

Reaction Score
The Uconn football program is going nowhere. Now thats a hard very bitter pill to swallow but swallow it you must. How many different coaches have they had since moving to D1? Ive heard the same about the previous coaches and the program still languishes at the low end of mediocrity. Sucks but those are the facts. Diaco being replaced will do nothing to improve the program.

College football is all about coaching. Unfortunately we haven't chosen well since Edsall left. Our ceiling isn't very high but with our resources we should be able to crack the top 25 once or twice every decade and we should be making a bowl game 80% of the time. A good coach would get us there.

Reaction Score

Diaco may well be the worst head coach in the country, but we thought that about P, too. When your program hires consecutive coaches that can reasonably considered the worst in the country, there is probably more to it than them just being bad coaches. There is also a serious dearth of talent that exacerbates the weaknesses in the coaching department, and with bad programs, bad coaching hires become self-perpetuating because that's what the market is.

Granted, if programs like Temple can turn things around with one hire, you'd think that there is hope for us. But history would indicate that landing that guy is far more unlikely than not, at which point it becomes fair to wonder when time runs out.

Reaction Score
Two years ago I said that Diaco was horrible and guys on the football board jumped all over me. I bet they are singing a different tune now.

Reaction Score
Up to 192 votes (can we get a few more and get to 200?) and we are at 28.6 percent keeping their tickets, 12% reducing their total number of subscriptions, and 59.4% not renewing at all.

Imagine how many more casual season ticket holders will be gone if he is around next year, if they are losing ticket subscriptions from 71% of some of their most dedicated fans

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Up to 192 votes (can we get a few more and get to 200?) and we are at 28.6 percent keeping their tickets, 12% reducing their total number of subscriptions, and 59.4% not renewing at all.

Imagine how many more casual season ticket holders will be gone if he is around next year, if they are losing ticket subscriptions from 71% of some of their most dedicated fans

60% non-renewal? If that's not just a kneejerk thing, that is an astronomical number.

Reaction Score
60% non-renewal? If that's not just a kneejerk thing, that is an astronomical number.
Why should anyone renew?

Diaco is worse than PP, who made it just two and a half seasons. Why should anyone pay to watch a fourth year of Diaco?

Reaction Score
College football is all about coaching. Unfortunately we haven't chosen well since Edsall left. Our ceiling isn't very high but with our resources we should be able to crack the top 25 once or twice every decade and we should be making a bowl game 80% of the time. A good coach would get us there.
ummmmmmm top 25??? lol...

Reaction Score
ummmmmmm top 25??? lol...

Once or twice every decade? Why not, look at the teams who do make it no reason why UConn couldn't have piggybacked their bowl success (or even the loss to OU) into gaining ground on other teams with the right hirings. The base was set for the right guy, it just wasn't the right guy orin this case guys. Benedict, while having his hands tied in green, needs to do the right thing now not next year. The 5M will be nothing if they wait.

Reaction Score
Once or twice every decade? Why not, look at the teams who do make it no reason why UConn couldn't have piggybacked their bowl success (or even the loss to OU) into gaining ground on other teams with the right hirings. The base was set for the right guy, it just wasn't the right guy orin this case guys. Benedict, while having his hands tied in green, needs to do the right thing now not next year. The 5M will be nothing if they wait.
Agreed- but top 25? c'mon..we just need to be at .500 every year. At this point THAT is an extremely tall order.

Reaction Score
Agreed- but top 25? c'mon..we just need to be at .500 every year. At this point THAT is an extremely tall order.

do you not understand what ceiling means?

Reaction Score
do you not understand what ceiling means?
I mean sure...ceiling means we could beat Harbaugh and Michigan for a National Championship in 4 years. But for our football program- honestly ceiling is winning an AAC championship within the next 10 years. #BabySteps

Reaction Score
I mean sure...ceiling means we could beat Harbaugh and Michigan for a National Championship in 4 years. But for our football program- honestly ceiling is winning an AAC championship within the next 10 years. #BabySteps

No, you missed the point completely. If we won an AAC championship in the next 10 years we would end up ranked in the top 25. Which completely matches what I said - a top 25 finish once or twice per decade.

Reaction Score
No, you missed the point completely. If we won an AAC championship in the next 10 years we would end up ranked in the top 25. Which completely matches what I said - a top 25 finish once or twice per decade.

Not sure winning the AAC equates to a top 25 ranking. But okay. Good job.

Reaction Score
Not sure winning the AAC equates to a top 25 ranking..

There is typically an AAC team in the top 25 every week, probably since it formed . Often more than one. Early on Central Florida was in the top 10, they finished at #12 for 2014. Last year, Houston finished week 12 at #14 and Navy #19. The USAToday Coaches Poll this morning has Navy at #20 and South Florida is # 23. Houston dropped out from #21 to #27. So, yes, doing well in the AAC puts you in the top 25.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why should anyone renew?

Diaco is worse than PP, who made it just two and a half seasons. Why should anyone pay to watch a fourth year of Diaco?

I'm not questioning each individual's choice*, just pointing out how astronomically high a number that is in a vacuum. ie it's something the AD absolutely has to look at and consider. A flashing warning light.

*given the results, non-renewal makes sense, as you say.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning each individual's choice*, just pointing out how astronomically high a number that is in a vacuum. ie it's something the AD absolutely has to look at and consider. A flashing warning light.

*given the results, non-renewal makes sense, as you say.
I hear you; those were really just follow-up rhetorical questions

Reaction Score
I agree. That is the best we could hope for at very best. Odds are we wont be able to do any of that. Our history gives me no reason to believe this will happen any time soon if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom