Poll on OC | The Boneyard

Poll on OC

Does Charlton need to go?

• Yes, immediately. It’s time to make a statement.

Votes: 75 41.9%
  • Maybe, but he should be given the season to keep his job

Votes: 97 54.2%
  • No, he’s doing fine.

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
How many here have the patience to see more from Charlton?

Reaction Score
How many here have the patience to see more from Charlton?
This is the reason Uconn Football is where it is because we allow bad coaching to stick around for a year then we offer a large contract before firing them. After they have dragged our program through the gutter. Our Athletic Director keeps allowing this to happen. Get rid of him too.

Reaction Score
This is the reason Uconn Football is where it is because we allow bad coaching to stick around for a year then we offer a large contract before firing them. After they have dragged our program through the gutter. Our Athletic Director keeps allowing this to happen. Get rid of him too.
Our AD does allow people to stick around well past their expiration date. He is actually pretty weak on football and living on the good will of a move to the BE and Hurley hire.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Voted to can him now, though I also think that Mora's @$$ should be equally on the line- so keep Charlton around if that's somehow better for the program (which I doubt), but Mora's seat should be equally hot.

Reaction Score
Our AD does allow people to stick around well past their expiration date. He is actually pretty weak on football and living on the good will of a move to the BE and Hurley hire.
Is this a joke? He is able to pay the basketball coaches in the top 10 of their peers and can’t do that for football due to the AD budget deficit. Donate $20 million so he can pay the football coaches.

Reaction Score

Our AD is the reason BBall was able to win a natty... he beat Pitt a P5 team for Hurley, got us out of AAC purgatory and had a vision of indy giving us a chance to a P5 which BTW he nearly pulled off. He had Diaco fired, his only fault was hiring RE 2.0 on boosters but that was a one time thing ... he had the vision to fly out to get Jim Mora who is a legit coach which immediately made a joke laughing stock program into a bowl respectable team. What are you smoking man? Benedict is not perfect but he has done far more for UConn athletics than any AD we have had outside of Perkins ... Do you want Mr. Dunkin Donuts back who some how almost ruined an elite institution's football program by playing hard ball for pennies on Harbaugh? Fans on here can be absolutely delusional

Reaction Score
I don't like any of the options. I think he has until game 4 to show signs of life.
This.

Making a move tomorrow is a tad too soon for my liking, especially considering any in-season move would lead to an interim and likely not reap much benefit until next season. That said if this continues against a worse FIU team then after Duke, I think you have to make the move.

Reaction Score
There needs to be a fourth option. But at the moment I am not sure what it is other than to let AI call the plays. Or suggest plays.

Reaction Score
Our AD is the reason BBall was able to win a natty... he beat Pitt a P5 team for Hurley, got us out of AAC purgatory and had a vision of indy giving us a chance to a P5 which BTW he nearly pulled off. He had Diaco fired, his only fault was hiring RE 2.0 on boosters but that was a one time thing ... he had the vision to fly out to get Jim Mora who is a legit coach which immediately made a joke laughing stock program into a bowl respectable team. What are you smoking man? Benedict is not perfect but he has done far more for UConn athletics than any AD we have had outside of Perkins ... Do you want Mr. Dunkin Donuts back who some how almost ruined an elite institution's football program by playing hard ball for pennies on Harbaugh? Fans on here can be absolutely delusional
This. Edsall was a "safe" hire that sounds like boosters forced on him. Edsall would have had more success if he didn't hire Crocker and didn't lose Lashley and Jon Dunn as OC. Not saying it would have been much better but I'm willing to bet they win more than 4 games total.

DB is crushing it at AD. Sometimes you get things wrong, but overall he's got the entire AD going in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? He is able to pay the basketball coaches in the top 10 of their peers and can’t do that for football due to the AD budget deficit. Donate $20 million so he can pay the football coaches.
You pay someone that much only if they are worth that much. Not the case for any of the FB coaches they’ve had. For top FB coaches, they’re not likely interested in UConn at this time.

Reaction Score
All true. But Dave had to rehire Edsall. That was board ordered. He also tried to keep Lashlee and Dunn. Edsall ran them off.

Reaction Score
All true. But Dave had to rehire Edsall. That was board ordered. He also tried to keep Lashlee and Dunn. Edsall ran them off.
I’d say they wanted to leave. RE brought Dunn in but he wanted to coach in NFL.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I voted he needs to be fired but not tomorrow. But he will be fired or he’ll resign at some point in the next 40000 years.

Reaction Score
I voted Yes, but in reality I'm somewhere between option 1 and 2. He's not the answer and we need to move on, but it's not gonna happen after 2 games.

Just looking at the schedule my guess is it happens after game 6. 2 weeks off and the lead up to homecoming seems like a perfect time to make the change and get a 6 game sample of a new offense to make a decision going into next year

Reaction Score
The problem with firing Charlton now is that there may not be anyone realistic on staff to take over OC duties. Mora doesn't exactly have a deep bench. My feeling is that you give him the rest of the season. If you don't see major improvement over what's been seen in the first two games, you move on. That being said The AD needs to find some money somewhere to improve the overall assistant coaching staff. If you pay for a bargain basement staff, you're going to get a bargain basement product.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marinelli is currently Pass Game Coordinator/Executive Director of Recruiting-Offense. Why can’t he take on game calls or even OC? Anyone know if he was an Offensive analyst at Illinois or Zona?

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with hanging on to crappy assistants?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed, obviously, I'm with our office to date, but firing an offensive coordinator to games in isn't a good look for the program. We've got a quarterback upgrade. Let's see what he can do with Roberson. If the offense still looks shaky bringing an analyst. If after all of that things have an improved by the end of the season, then it's time for a change.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed, obviously, I'm with our office to date, but firing an offensive coordinator to games in isn't a good look for the program. We've got a quarterback upgrade. Let's see what he can do with Roberson. If the offense still looks shaky bringing an analyst. If after all of that things have an improved by the end of the season, then it's time for a change.

I think we have a guy on staff who can help and should play a larger role.

Reaction Score
I'd be more in favor of Mora using his network to find someone with play calling experience in college and the NFL and talk to Charlton about his philosophy and situational play calls. Someone Charlton can learn from. Charlton is young and has taken a jump in competitiveness, so while we look to him to lead the offense (rightfully so), in reality, he's likely still learning himself to adjust to a different level. We play 3 ACC teams and an SEC team, compared to what he was coaching and play calling against at Maine. Firing him now seems a bit scorched earth. If things don't change halfway through the season or we're officially out of bowl eligibility, I think discussions start. But I think everybody in the athletic department is well aware now that the offense is stagnant and needs to get moving.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with hanging on to crappy assistants?
You said he is “weak on football” and “living on the goodwill of moving to the Big East and the Hurley hire”. That is the joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom