Poll on conference membership | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll on conference membership

Yay or nay on new Big East?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Ok, let's see what they do with football. Not buying the conference as an excuse. They have been under Shittu leadership for several years, led by Herbst. Far more of an issue than the conference, where others have been successful.
Meaning others similarly situated? Which would be who?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yay.

Familiar foes in Gampel and XL again
MSG in March
20 conference games
Big 12 Challenge
Big 10 Challenge (Gavitt Games)
Dan Hurley and staff recruiting to the Big East
No more 9pm game times in Texas or Oklahoma
Gus Johnson and Raff (FS1 isn't really that bad)
My wife is a Yay. She can log in and vote if she wants.

As an American male I statistically won't have to worry about global warming.

Before I cast Yay or Nay could you, as a reasonable poster, explain to me why everyone is so sure men's bb recruiting will get a big uptick with UConn joining the BE?

Television ratings for the BE conference are abysmal. It's disconcerting given Villinova's recent successes. I believe kids we need to recruit for relevancy are more interested in knowing what the media exposure will be versus the rivalries that make me excited. You make great points about the challenges and the game times but I believe it is more than negated by kids wanting to be seen on ESPN and getting greater viewership.

My guess is recruiting will be on par at best with what happened while UConn was in the AAC. UConn had some very good recruiting classes in the AAC including this year's class. The bad recruiting occurred after KO imploded and was left in the lurch with defections. How does the BE's recruiting the past two years compare with the AAC's recruiting?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't want to skim through everyone's rationalizations in other threads. This move will likely have a short term positive impact on the men's basketball team, while trashing the rest of the athletic department over time.
So...is that a yay, a nay, or curtain number three? Because it's exactly what I think, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
More than palatable. Giving up any chance of a P5 Invite so basketball can play who, nova?
Who gives a # 2 about providence, gtown, Seton hall and the rest
Georgetown will draw well because it will remind people of the old Big East. St. John’s, Prvidence and Seton Hall and Providence are all local games, relatively.

Reaction Score
Yes and that means exactly what?? It didn't get us a P5 invite at our peak.
Uh, maybe we've been on the map? Needed some new facilities and are now getting them? But are still so weak we can't pay dues to move up?

Reaction Score
Georgetown will draw well because it will remind people of the old Big East. St. John’s, Prvidence and Seton Hall and Providence are all local games, relatively.
Awwww. Memories. So cute. More important than sharing institutional goals and cultures.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So...is that a yay, a nay, or curtain number three? Because it's exactly what I think, too.
I’m yay because I’m class of 83, the AAC was a poisonous pill to swallow, and in ten years I will start being a chicks hoops fan.

Reaction Score
More than palatable. Giving up any chance of a P5 Invite so basketball can play who, nova?
Who gives a # 2 about providence, gtown, Seton hall and the rest
there is no chance. we missed the chances multiple times

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Awwww. Memories. So cute. More important than sharing institutional goals and cultures.
Nope. But it will fill the seats. Especially vs. say a Tulsa game.

Reaction Score
It's fine. I'm happy with independent football. What better way to improve than spend a few years crushing New England rivals on our way back up

Right...just like they put it to URI last year.

Reaction Score
We don’t share anything institutionally with either league.
Tulane is in the AAU. I know that's one aspiration that UConn wishes to join. Also some public schools. And some that used to be in more powerful conferences before, as well. All trying to take the step back to a top conference. The only n00bs are technically Tulsa, ECU, UCF and USF.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tulane is in the AAU. I know that's one aspiration that UConn wishes to join. Also some public schools. And some that used to be in more powerful conferences before, as well. All trying to take the step back to a top conference. The only n00bs are technically Tulsa, ECU, UCF and USF.
We are trying to maintain, and move up in, our ranking as a top 20 land grant public university. No one in the AAC looks remotely like us. To be fair, no one in the nBE does either.

Reaction Score
Yay.

Familiar foes in Gampel and XL again
MSG in March
20 conference games
Big 12 Challenge
Big 10 Challenge (Gavitt Games)
Dan Hurley and staff recruiting to the Big East
No more 9pm game times in Texas or Oklahoma
Gus Johnson and Raff (FS1 isn't really that bad)
Holy s#$&;, we get Raftery back???? OMG!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's good for mens basketball and both soccer teams - regardless of what Geno says, it won't mean much for the womens team
Absolutely sucks for football and baseball
The big thing for all sports is the cut down in travel and a chance to create more regional rivalries
For basketball it is a definite step up in competition which translates into a longer road to go until the program will be where a majority of fans wants it to be
IMHO, while I can surely appreciate the quick fix that many foresee for the basketball conference woes, in the long term, I feel being wed to the NBE for a significant time may prove to be a fatal mistake.
The current members of the NBE are "basketball" schools. While the men's and women's basketball programs at UConn have proven to be most successful (pardons to field hockey), I don't consider UConn to be a "basketball" school.
UConn (and the state) has invested a huge amount of funds for a huge football stadium, training center and other football related investments. Going independent in football will not be good. Football needs a conference and rivalries. The program has proven in the past that it can be formidable and I feel it can return to respectability soon, if given a conference slot.
As a huge mens basketball fan and season ticket holder for over 50 years, I love the chance to play the likes of Nova, Georgetown, PC, St Johns et al on a yearly basis. But as a business person and UConn fanatic, I am not sure this is the smartest move to make - in the long run. To pay upwards of $10 Million as an exit fee is hard to swallow now and it won't be made up by basketball revenue.
Baseball may also feel a negative reaction as far as recruitment is concerned. The AAC is a really strong a viable baseball conference. Those trips to Florida, the Carolinas and Texas are so vital for exposure.
I also would like to know, what religious figure will UConn have sitting on the bench at basketball games? Every team it faces in the NBE will have one!! (Not serious but just wondering)
As a UConn mens basketball fan, right now I say Yah. - As a UConn fan, if this is a longterm situation, I say Nah

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings. Goodbye to P-5 hopes but that train, I guess has passed. Sorry for football and baseball. Glad for men's and women's basketball and MSG

Reaction Score
Lmao wait a minute, there are still lunatics who think a P5 invite was in the cards? Talk about detachment from reality.

Reaction Score
Lmao wait a minute, there are still lunatics who think a P5 invite was in the cards? Talk about detachment from reality.
Speak for yourself. You have to be a real imbecile to act as if we don't have a chance when we've been mentioned as a candidate openly for 2 conferences. Thats...40% of the conferences! Lmao.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. You have to be a real imbecile to act as if we don't have a chance when we've been mentioned as a candidate openly for 2 conferences. Thats...40% of the conferences! Lmao.
My personal opinion is that going through the B12 talent show gave the president and AD enough information that we are at best 4th in line for any future invitation, and that the B12 has decided not to expand at all due to the change in cable bundling paying for same. So, even though the AD proactively tried to upgrade non-revenue facilities like baseball, soccer and softball to make ourselves more "P-5" ready, ultimately that invite aint coming. I blame you, Butch, for never investing in football season tickets.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the football side of this but that has been going nowhere. This is our ticket back to national prominence. We are hoop folk over here and I for one want to get back to where we were.
Its funny how years ago I warned people about our football program going absolutely nowhere and it would kill us in realignment and I got absolutely roasted and branded as clueless by most and here we are. Im glad to be back in the BE and if we can back to being what we were I really don't care if every other sports program disappears.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom