Poll: More 3’s Akok or Whaley

Who will make more 3’s this year?

• Akok

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Whaley

Votes: 103 47.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Friend and I have a wager over this. Curious what the casuals think. My vote is for Whaley, and I’m fairly confident.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Whaley. Good probability Whaley will play more minutes than Akok. If he is on the perimeter he is more likely to shoot threes than take it to the rim. I think Akok will be able to do both. Therefore more minutes and time on the perimeter = more threes. It all depends on what DH uses for offensive sets. Real interesting question. I just hope Akok can maintain his health. If he stays healthy that's a heck of a tandem at the 4 (or 4 and 5 when Sanogo is resting). If Whaley can shoot threes this will be a monster year for him because we already know what he can do on the offensive glass.

Reaction Score
At this time has to be Whaley. We know he will get minutes. We know he will rebound and defend his man.

We don't know much about Akok. Spotting up to hit a 3 isn't the only thing he needs to prove to the coaches to get on the floor.

Reaction Score
Interesting question.. Last year as the starting 4, Whaley took 23 three point shots in 635 minutes and made 8. Akok in his freshman year as the starting 4 took exactly twice as many three's (46) in 701 minutes and made 12.

The big questions will be whether Akok gets legit minutes and whether Whaley shoots more, which we know Hurley is asking him to do.

I voted Whaley, but honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was Akok.

Reaction Score
yeah, i think all things being equal, whaley will play way more and shoot a considerably higher percentage, so i gave him the nod.

if it was whaley vs. akok and samson combined, i might favor the latter pair. one of those two is going to get significant time behind whaley and sanogo, barring a springs-aissaince.

Reaction Score
Akok I cant wait and see how this season pans out for him., he is our XFactor....At one point when recruiting him you would read he could be a one and done. Now he may be on the bench not getting any burn time. I hope this young man is healthy. A healthy Akok is going to knock down 3s and Whaley can not keep up with Akok in regard to shooting

Reaction Score
Akok I cant wait and see how this season pans out for him., he is our XFactor....At one point when recruiting him you would read he could be a one and done. Now he may be on the bench not getting any burn time. I hope this young man is healthy. A healthy Akok is going to knock down 3s and Whaley can not keep up with Akok in regard to shooting
See post #8. In a small sample, Squirrel has shot about 10 percentage points better than Akok from 3. I hope you're right about Akok and he hits at 35% or better from now on, but so far there is no evidence to support your optimism.

Reaction Score
Great question.

I think it's going to be Whaley.

I don't think their percentages will be all that different, but Whaley is going to get a lot more minutes (frankly, I don't see Akok ever reaching the potential he flashed at times a few years ago) and Hurley has said that Whaley needs to shoot 3s when he's playing the 4 alongside Sanogo.

I expect Whaley to play around 28 mpg, attempt around 3 3's per game, shoot around 33% (1 made 3 per game).

I expect Akok to play around 15 mpg, attempt around 2 3's per game, also shoot around 33% (0.7 made 3 per game).

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
It's a coin toss when you look at the numbers. When comparing Whaley last season and Akok two seasons ago, they played roughly the same amount of games and averaged the same # of minutes. Akok took 2x as many threes as Whaley, but hit them at a lower clip. I think Whaley will get a lot more minutes this season, but I think their 3-point attempts will probably be comparable at the end of the year. It's just a matter of who makes them at a higher clip.

My money is on Whaley, but it will be close.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm surprised everyone thinks Whaley is suddenly gonna start shooting. Hope it's true.

Reaction Score
Akok. He's peak 3pa was 1.8 vs Whaley's 1.0.

More importantly, I love that all but one of our frontcourt pieces will need to be respected from the three point line,.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If it's Whaley, that is either really good for us or really bad for us. Have to image Akok will be taking about 1 more per game, so I went Akok.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised everyone thinks Whaley is suddenly gonna start shooting. Hope it's true.
Hurley is on record saying he wants Whaley to make 25 threes this year, in order to do that he is going to have to shoot a few of them a game.

Reaction Score
Whaley is going to take significantly more 3's and make more. I'd put my money on Whaley making more 3's than Akok attempts this year

Reaction Score
i cant believe this is close. akok isn't even a lock for the the "8 man rotation"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i cant believe this is close. akok isn't even a lock for the the "8 man rotation"
To me it comes down to 2 things:
1. Playing time
2. What we’ve heard.

Whaley is a lock to start and receive 25+ minutes in my opinion whereas Akok’s playing time could fluctuate.

Second, for the last few weeks we’ve heard Hurley talk about the importance of Whaley being able to stretch the floor for us. He’s said he needs to make 25 or so 3’s for us this year.

Reaction Score
About half this board thinks Akok is the second coming of Kevin Durant.

Reaction Score
About half this board thinks Akok is the second coming of Kevin Durant.
if akok is taking more 3s than whaley (assuming he's not still shooting <30%) then that raises our ceiling. i just dont think predicting that is a smart bet right now.

to be clear i want akok taking up all whaley and sanogo's leftover minutes at PF/C. but given what hurley has said it just not a smart bet.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Team Wrench

I'll go one further. Whaley will double Akok

Reaction Score
Friend and I have a wager over this. Curious what the casuals think. My vote is for Whaley, and I’m fairly confident.
I dont mind Akok stepping out but id rather see him slashing to the basket, getting put backs and posting up with his length.

Reaction Score
I dont mind Akok stepping out but id rather see him slashing to the basket, getting put backs and posting up with his length.
He has the skill to put it on the floor and score from 15 feet in. More excited about that than the 3's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom