POLL: If UConn and Louisville played a 4th time, what chance do the cards have? | The Boneyard

POLL: If UConn and Louisville played a 4th time, what chance do the cards have?

Would a hypothetical UConn-Louisville IV game be any different from the first three games?

• Yes- Louisville will either win or come very close to beating UConn

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • No- UConn will win by at least 17 yet again

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • I think UConn wins decisively, but I'd still be nervous

Votes: 35 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, UConn and Louisville played three times, once in Louisville, twice in Connecticut. Each time, Uconn won decisively, with final deficits of 17, 20, and 20 points. By the third time, it wasn't even really close. Yes, Louisville brought the lead down to single digits in the first half, but UConn went on a run immediately to close the half out with an 18 point lead.

So the question is, would a hypothetial fourth matchup with Louisville be any different?

There is no historical precedent for one team beating another four times in a season. Meanwhile, there is recent historical precedent of teams playing four times when one team is 3-0 for the season against the other. Most prominently, ND beat UConn in the 2011 national semis, Texas A&M beat Baylor in the regional finals in 2011, and UConn beat ND in the 2013 national semis. Now, in those season series, there were some close games the first three times the teams matched up, so there was ample evidence the 0-3 team could win a fourth game. However, UConn seems so have higher margin for error against Louisville in 2014 given the three 17+ point outcomes.

So what say you? Do you think a fourth game with Louisville will happen at all? Do you think UConn will beat them as decisively as they have three times this season, or does this prospect make you a little nervous?

Reaction Score
Must be an incredible challenge to Walz. How can he possibly make them believe they could beat us after how many consecutive drubbings? Yes, I remember Baylor last year, but Baylor is not UCONN.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
On the other hand, I think L'ville has a shot at beating anyone else, maybe even ND. Jeff is a wiley and resourceful coach and they are a good team.

Reaction Score
The temptation is to look at our "series" with ND last year. The first 3 games with ND were all close, and a break here or there would have changed the outcome, whereas our games with Louisville this year have all been, well, not close. I see no reason to believe that the outcome with UL would be any different if we should meet a 4th time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really liked Jeff Jacobs remark on this. He said, if they met in a best of 7 series, how many games would it go??? 3.

You have to remember, last year 1) was a different UCONN team 2) Louisville is not ND from last year 3) those ND-UCONN games prior to the Semi were pretty close, 72-73, 87-96 3 OTs, and 59-61. The games with Louisville have not been in doubt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Louisville is just a really bad matchup for UCONN. Just like Duke is. I just don't see either school coming within 20 points any time in the immediate future.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I say yes, we would win but I would be nervous.

Simply because I didnt think they had a chance in hell to beat Baylor last year and we all know how that turned out.

Yes UCONN and Baylor (last year) are different but I would still be nervous. All it takes is one great effort from one team and a bad shooting and off defensive night for UCONN. Although unlikely, anything can happen.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Then again, no team has beaten another four times in a season, and having too much hubris on these questions is something the basketball gods could punish. Back in 2011 after UConn had beaten ND three times, in one of the games by 21, Husky fans were pretty confident that the fourth encounter would go the same way. We can take polls about our expectations, but personally I'd just rather that the Huskies avoid the Cardinals until the NC, where UConn's perfect record charm will overpower any 4th time jinx. The semis is more of a danger zone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Must be an incredible challenge to Walz. How can he possibly make them believe they could beat us after how many consecutive drubbings? Yes, I remember Baylor last year, but Baylor is not UCONN.

Did I hear correctly that Louisville has not beaten UCONN in 21 years?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
True, but misleading.

UConn played, and lost to Louisville in March on 1993 (74-71). That was their first meeting. They didn't play again until 2006.

That game is part of an interesting footnote. UConn lost to Louisville, after losing their previous game to Providence. That's the last time they lost back-to-back games, one of the more astounding streaks in all of sports.

Reaction Score

If I were coaching Louisville I wouldn't have cared much about the last game. It was kinda meaningless to Louisville. They may as well have been playing at UCONN anyway.

I think he may have something up his sleeve in case they clash again. He may be holding a few cards he hasn't shown yet.

I think Sun Tzu may have had a philosophy about that sort of thing...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Cards have as much chance of winning a game 4 matchup, as I do of being a vegetarian for a week.... two days

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yes, Jeff told Slaughter and Shoni to save their 7-10 and 6-14 shooting on 3s for the next UConn game, just like last year he hid that card for the Baylor game. He was secretly quite happy with the 0-4 and 4-16 they put up on Monday.

Reaction Score
Remember TV showing KML shooting FT's at the end of the game?

Standing at the lane before the shots were taken, the Cardinals and Shoni in particular were huffing and puffing for air.

The Huskies were ready to go- no gasping for breath.

The Cardnials can't hang with the Husllies for 40 minutes and the Huskies always go on runs.

Contitioning, talent, desire and coaching- same results as the last 3 games.

Based on what I have seen of teams this year, I thing the only team that may match the Huskies as far as condidtioning goes is ND.

Reaction Score
If I were coaching Louisville I wouldn't have cared much about the last game. It was kinda meaningless to Louisville. They may as well have been playing at UCONN anyway.

I think he may have something up his sleeve in case they clash again. He may be holding a few cards he hasn't shown yet.

I think Sun Tzu may have had a philosophy about that sort of thing...
Unless the card up his sleeve is bringing in Lebron James, they have no chance. They've been beaten now consistently by the same margin 3 times in the last month no matter where or how they play.

Reaction Score
Unless the card up his sleeve is bringing in Lebron James, they have no chance. They've been beaten now consistently by the same margin 3 times in the last month no matter where or how they play.
OK...whatever you say...

Reaction Score
Really? If Louisville had beaten us in the AAC tournament, they'd be an undisputed #1 seed wouldn't have to play us until the Final Four. I'd say that's a pretty big incentive.

Reaction Score
OK...whatever you say...
It's not whatever I say. This notion that Walz is holding back is complete BS (and I don't mean Breanna Stewart). If anyone thinks Walz lost 3 games on purpose they should be calling for his resignation, and the NCAA should investigate for gambling/betting ties. Isn't it just possible UConn is a better team with a better (for now) coach? I mean give the Huskies a little credit. They could play the game on Mars, and I'll go out on a limb and predict a UConn win by 17-22 points.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I would think Uconn could possibly beat the Cards by more as it would mean they make their way into the FF or the Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom