Poll: How Many Losses Would UConn have if they Played in P5 Conference | The Boneyard

Poll: How Many Losses Would UConn have if they Played in P5 Conference

How many Conference Losses would this team have if they played in a P5 Conference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How many conference losses would this UConn Team have if they played in a P5 Conference? I presume they would have at least one loss in each P5 Conference with the possible exception of the Big Ten. I don't think the team could run the BIG going undefeated, but its possible based on their historical record against Maryland, the best team in the BIG.

Tried to keep the Poll answers simple even though I realize the answers would be different based on the Conference. IMO this team would have more losses if they played in the ACC or PAC 12 then the other P5 Conferences.

Reaction Score
How many conference losses would this UConn Team have if they played in a P5 Conference? I presume they would have at least one loss in each P5 Conference with the possible exception of the Big Ten. I don't think the team could run the BIG going undefeated, but its possible based on their historical record against Maryland, the best team in the BIG.

Tried to keep the Poll answers simple even though I realize the answers would be different based on the Conference. IMO this team would have more losses if they played in the ACC or PAC 12 then the other P5 Conferences.

If we assume all those that say the AAC is killing Geno's ability to recruit are correct then we must assume that Uconn would have had better recruiting classes with Walker and CW. With that assumption Uconn would be unbeatable and no losses, ever..

Reaction Score
Same as now - I presume the only difference in the schedule would be conference games and they would still play "Anybody anywhere" - just like they do now.

Reaction Score

Tried to keep the Poll answers simple eventhough I realize the answers would be different based on the Conference. IMO this team would have more losses if they played in the ACC or PAC 12 then the other P5 Conferences.

Assumptions are assumptions. If you assume they are in the ACC or Pac12 you must then assume recruiting is equal to the league; assuming the AAC is terrible.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's see - we lost to Louisville and Baylor and we beat ND convincingly. Giving geography, we would/ should be in the ACC. So our record would still be the same with 2 loses.

Reaction Score
Same as now - I presume the only difference in the schedule would be conference games and they would still play "Anybody anywhere" - just like they do now.
I presume/assume if we speak of current Geno that would be correct. A year or so ago and back 10 years that would not be true to say Uconn would play anyone-anywhere, there was one limiting factor.

Reaction Score
We've played 3 top 10 teams and gone 1-2.

On average, a P5 conference will have 2 top 10 teams, which we would play probably 3 games against in conference. I would expect 2-3 losses in a P5.

In actuality, the ACC is stronger and the B1G weaker, so there would be some variance. But we have looked underwhelming against a number of opponents and were trailing late against dreadful P5 Oklahoma.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Let's see - we lost to Louisville and Baylor and we beat ND convincingly. Giving geography, we would/ should be in the ACC. So our record would still be the same with 2 loses.
But if UConn were in the ACC, wouldn't they still schedule tough OOC games? That seems to be Geno's MO. So if Notre Dame and Louisville were in conference, they would have played other teams OOC and may have picked up another loss. Plus does this survey include the conference tournament? That could be another loss as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the teams UCONN could lose to even if we played well (B+ or A- game) are Baylor, L'ville, ND, Oregon, Oregon State, and Mississippi State. MAYBE Stanford and Maryland. So do the math - depends on what conference we are in. If it's the ACC, we could lose at least twice. If it's the Pac 12, possible 3 times. SEC - Maybe once. Big 12- I doubt we lose to Maryland on any night, but again, if it's UCONN in Q' 2,3 and 4 vs. Wichita State, then I'd say we lose to Maryland.

As @Fightin Choke said, it's not that Geno would have scheduled easier per se, but ND and L'ville not on OOC slate, so replace them with who? Kentucky? Marquette? Miami? aTm? Maryland? Stanford? Oregon/OSU? Who out there would actually be willing to play UCONN at this point? Next 2 years totally different story. Everyone wants a crack at UCONN. But for this season - it would have been scheduled last season so maybe not so much.

I wonder about mid majors - why doesn't UCONN play more teams like Gonzaga, South Dakota, Drake, Rice, etc. Teams who are currently ranked, and some who have traditionally been pretty good. Do they not want to play us? If you look at their schedules, they do play some P5 teams. Just curious on that last one...

Reaction Score
The only team that can beat UConn consistently is ND, so if any P5 conference UConn is in would result in 1-2 losses per year, if ND were in the same conference

Reaction Score
I think they could run the SEC, B1G and PAC.....even with home and homes.....hence my vote for choice Zero

ACC with LV and ND ....depends if u think they would split, sweep, or get swept

I am assuming the starters play 30-35 ----their depth gets exposed in the ACC ---- but this was not a poll choice

I am also assuming you were intentionally leaving OCC games out of consideration - if not then they'd carry the same record they do now.

PS - one of the interesting things about the tournament is how conferences stack up against each other, I guess we find out soon.

Reaction Score
This team has had too many flat performances. In a top conference they probably would've been snake bit a few times.
You’re not factoring in its much harder to get up for an AAC opponent than an ACC. Say what you want about they always play hard regardless of the competition, which is true but when you know you won’t lose it’s a little different mentality. You can get out of character & take risks because you know it doesn’t matter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You’re not factoring in its much harder to get up for an AAC opponent than an ACC. Say what you want about they always play hard regardless of the competition, which is true but when you know you won’t lose it’s a little different mentality. You can get out of character & take risks because you know it doesn’t matter.
Agree. That was one thought I had about this. For instance it seemed for awhile last night they were kinda bored.

Reaction Score
Agree. That was one thought I had about this. For instance it seemed for awhile last night they were kinda bored.
I would be too. I mean Pheesa was shooting layup lines in the 2nd half. Crystal tried spicing it up with her passes. It was so out of hand she threw it behind her head to Lou when she could have probably scored a layup. Which I loved btw.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would be too. I mean Pheesa was shooting layup lines in the 2nd half. Crystal tried spicing it up with her passes. It was so out of hand she threw it behind her head to Lou when she could have probably scored a layup. Which I loved btw.
Kinda got the feeling they were kinda thinking 'the game is over after the 1st quarter, now we gotta play 3 more quarters before we can go home. Ugh'.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder about mid majors - why doesn't UCONN play more teams like Gonzaga, South Dakota, Drake, Rice, etc. Teams who are currently ranked, and some who have traditionally been pretty good. Do they not want to play us? If you look at their schedules, they do play some P5 teams. Just curious on that last one..

Notre Dame (Muffet) has scheduled mid-majors throughout the years, taking the team on trips to the Dakotas, Western Kentucky and east on I-80 to Toledo every other year. This year, the Irish played in the Thanksgiving tournament in Vancouver and two of the three teams they played against were mid-majors: Gonzaga and Drake. They finished by playing Oregon State, so that was a good test for the Irish, (particularly since Mabrey was out until the OSU game). So, those tournaments can/cannot be a good challenge, depending on who attends.

In this theoretical, I'd bet Geno would find tough competition to play against. The Mid-American is offering some good tests recently (Buffalo, Central Michigan, Miami of Ohio, Ohio, Toledo, etc.).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder about mid majors - why doesn't UCONN play more teams like Gonzaga, South Dakota, Drake, Rice, etc. Teams who are currently ranked, and some who have traditionally been pretty good. Do they not want to play us? If you look at their schedules, they do play some P5 teams. Just curious on that last one...
The only issue with this is the schedule is usually set a year or 2 in advance. Most mid-majors aren’t consistently good, even some high majors aren’t consistently good so it’s tough. Ohio State was a good team last year with Mitchell & Co. but you have to do a 2 year deal with most teams so have to play them this year when they aren’t good.

Reaction Score
With this current team and the other teams out there currently, my vote is for 2-3 losses on average. Most conferences either have a team or two with good guard play (ACC, Pac 12) or with some talented bigs (SEC, Big 12). The only conference I see them possibly running the table in would be the Big 10. Iowa and Maryland are the best teams in the Big 10 right now and I don’t see either of them having the offense or defense to contend with UConn unless UConn plays like they did against Oklahoma or Cal.

Reaction Score
I think they could run the SEC, B1G and PAC.....even with home and homes.....hence my vote for choice Zero

ACC with LV and ND ....depends if u think they would split, sweep, or get swept

I am assuming the starters play 30-35 ----their depth gets exposed in the ACC ---- but this was not a poll choice

I am also assuming you were intentionally leaving OCC games out of consideration - if not then they'd carry the same record they do now.

PS - one of the interesting things about the tournament is how conferences stack up against each other, I guess we find out soon.
Overall Pac-12 is toughest conference so UConn can be happy that geography alone keeps them out.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Just a nit - the concept of P5 as "better" for basketball is misleading. P5 is a football designation. In reality there aren't many very good women's teams in any conference We just need one team to really pick it up in the AAC - like the Big East with UConn and ND! Being in a "P5" conference isn't a guarantee of playing competitive bball. (See Baylor)

Even when you look at the other conferences there isn't very much competition for the top schools. Think about the ACC - the original members pretty much all stink now and the conference is basically LV and ND. Other than that, FSU and NCS are decent this year but that is recent only and Duke and UNC, BC, and Rutgers are actually much worse.

GA does his best to schedule as strong an SOS as anyone, we just need a few schools in the AAC to be better and the bottom to not suck so much.

So I don't see us losing much in any conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom