Poll: How Many Losses Would UConn have if they Played in P5 Conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: How Many Losses Would UConn have if they Played in P5 Conference

How many Conference Losses would this team have if they played in a P5 Conference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Big10: Zero
Big12: One. A split with Baylor.
ACC: Two. Splits with UL, ND. Maybe one other upset.
SEC: One. Split with MSSt. Maybe one other upset.
PAC: Two. Lose one in Oregon, one in the Bay Area. Maybe one other upset.

Reaction Score
If this team had to play South Dakota and South Dakota State twice in a season (maybe three times with the conference tournament))...

I dunno.

Not to mention ORU and Denver.

Pretty sure they would not be unbeaten in the conference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kinda got the feeling they were kinda thinking 'the game is over after the 1st quarter, now we gotta play 3 more quarters before we can go home. Ugh'.
But isn't that exactly what happened when they played Louisville at UCONN last season. The game was pretty much over after the first quarter.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Many posters have mentioned that Geno wouldn't have this team if his team played in another conference. My question is, how many loss would THIS team have? Would this roster still only have two or fewer losses if they played in another conference?

Reaction Score
Big10: Zero
Big12: One. A split with Baylor.
ACC: Two. Splits with UL, ND. Maybe one other upset.
SEC: One. Split with MSSt. Maybe one other upset.
PAC: Two. Lose one in Oregon, one in the Bay Area. Maybe one other upset.
I agree with this except Pac-12, where I think we run the table.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We've played 3 top 10 teams and gone 1-2.

On average, a P5 conference will have 2 top 10 teams, which we would play probably 3 games against in conference. I would expect 2-3 losses in a P5.

In actuality, the ACC is stronger and the B1G weaker, so there would be some variance. But we have looked underwhelming against a number of opponents and were trailing late against dreadful P5 Oklahoma.

I think it would be more accurate to say UConn is 1-2 against Top 5 teams. That's where the drop off looks to be.

Reaction Score
I would say about the same as they do now and have in the past. Their OOC schedule is as hard or harder than some of the best teams in the P5 conferences, so they've played a comparable overall schedule. Playing in the AAC obviously hasn't hurt too much considering they've been to, if I'm not mistaken, 11 consecutive final 4s.

Reaction Score
I think it would be more accurate to say UConn is 1-2 against Top 5 teams. That's where the drop off looks to be.

That is fair (I'd say Top 6 rather than 5, but certainly not 10). But it's also true we have a limited data set against the next tier.

Cal and, to a lesser extent Depaul, turned out to be frauds. We beat South Carolina, but that's about it.

You could just as easily say that we're 2-2 against the Top 25. In a legitimate conference, you'll play about 6-8 of those games.

Reaction Score
I feel like it is My Cousin Vinnie and Mona Lisa Vito is on the stand and talking about what a bogus question this is.
Lets assume people are correct about recruiting and that recruits are not attending UCONN because of the "weak" conference we are in.... then if we were in a P5 Conference how does that affect our recruiting and would it change the people we have on the team. If that changes does it then change the chemistry of our team? Who would we have on our team that we current do not? How would they impact our team? If there were other players would that mean less time for Lou and Phee and if they had less time would they be less dominant? So many questions so little time.

Reaction Score
the only conference that has two teams with a chance of beating UCONN is the ACC. So I voted one loss.

Reaction Score
I feel like it is My Cousin Vinnie and Mona Lisa Vito is on the stand and talking about what a bogus question this is.
Lets assume people are correct about recruiting and that recruits are not attending UCONN because of the "weak" conference we are in.... then if we were in a P5 Conference how does that affect our recruiting and would it change the people we have on the team. If that changes does it then change the chemistry of our team? Who would we have on our team that we current do not? How would they impact our team? If there were other players would that mean less time for Lou and Phee and if they had less time would they be less dominant? So many questions so little time.
We think alike: If UC was not in the AAC AND that had an impact on recruiting; isn't it only logical then to believe moving to the ACC or other conference would enhance the number of recruits that arrived. Whom they may be or when they may have arrived is impossible to ascertain because the data to make that determination will not be available.
But assuming the AAC hurt UC AND a P5/AAC helped couldn't one assume further that UC would NOW be a more talented team with more height? Since this is P.A.S (pure speculation)) it is limited only to where the mind make take us.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
the only conference that has two teams with a chance of beating UCONN is the ACC. So I voted one loss.

Well a bottom feeder in the big 12 had a chance of winning vs UConn... And it wasn't like UConn's game vs a middling Cincinnati squad in cincy was a cakewalk either.

Reaction Score
Well a bottom feeder in the big 12 had a chance of winning vs UConn... And it wasn't like UConn's game vs a middling Cincinnati squad in cincy was a cakewalk either.
You DO realize that this team is apparently skizo: Two teams. One can whip up on ND, get pushed around by 3 or so AAC teams then whip up on USC. Then the one taken to the wall by mid AAC teams. Baylor is a unique example in that they are talented with too much height; a tough to beat combination for Uconn. Louisville, in my opinion, was one that had Uconn played their A game it is a win. The Gelling (or is it Jelling) of this team is still happening. Ms Williams is still trying to come out of her Freshman shell. Walker is about to arrive at the player she was suppose to be. Too much pressure on 3 (Danger, KLS, Phee) to save this team from oblivion with out much of a bench beyond Coombs, ONO, Irwin all of whom need more PT/experience/practice (will that happen). Yet the entire team is evolving. The question is how much better/consistent will they become before the NCAA??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think they could run the SEC, B1G and PAC.....even with home and homes.....hence my vote for choice Zero

ACC with LV and ND ....depends if u think they would split, sweep, or get swept

I am assuming the starters play 30-35 ----their depth gets exposed in the ACC ---- but this was not a poll choice

I am also assuming you were intentionally leaving OCC games out of consideration - if not then they'd carry the same record they do now.

PS - one of the interesting things about the tournament is how conferences stack up against each other, I guess we find out soon.
As I am not sure what conferences you’ve seen or What metrics you know about but Massey lists PAC12 as the top conference with the ACC second
Here is the link Massey Ratings - CBW

I have seen a decent amount of the PAC12 and Oregon, Stanford and OSU are as good as the top 3 in the ACC. I think you have underestimated this conference.

BIG10 is brutal in that they have 5 teams that fit between rank 14-30 so no one would beat us.
Big12 has Baylor with Texas and Iowa St on the fringes of the top 25. Baylor did win at home and I think we would win at home. UConn beats a All others
SEC has MSU in top 6, SC in top 16. Maybe MSU wins at home but we would win at UConn. No one else would win.
ACC has Louisville and ND where I think we split games on home court if we played 2 times a year.
Other than those 2, not sure I see enough consistency from others to worry about away games which we could be susceptible
PAC12 has Oregon and Stanford as trouble spots and OSU would play a slowed down game with solid defense with our firepower prevailing 64-50 ish.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Wait? Let me check, oh yeah, we did win. Whew. Now let me check other top 6 teams and how they fair in away games they should win in blowouts but don’t...umm, interesting, ND lost at NC, Baylor won close at OK St 66-58, Louisville won at VPI 72-63, Oregon lost at OSU 67-62 after having a close game at home.
You start to see my point? Or is this you lashing out due to NCheat possibly on the NCAAT bubble?

Reaction Score
As I am not sure what conferences you’ve seen or What metrics you know about but Massey lists PAC12 as the top conference with the ACC second
Here is the link Massey Ratings - CBW

I have seen a decent amount of the PAC12 and Oregon, Stanford and OSU are as good as the top 3 in the ACC. I think you have underestimated this conference.

BIG10 is brutal in that they have 5 teams that fit between rank 14-30 so no one would beat us.
Big12 has Baylor with Texas and Iowa St on the fringes of the top 25. Baylor did win at home and I think we would win at home. UConn beats a All others
SEC has MSU in top 6, SC in top 16. Maybe MSU wins at home but we would win at UConn. No one else would win.
ACC has Louisville and ND where I think we split games on home court if we played 2 times a year.
Other than those 2, not sure I see enough consistency from others to worry about away games which we could be susceptible
PAC12 has Oregon and Stanford as trouble spots and OSU would play a slowed down game with solid defense with our firepower prevailing 64-50 ish.
Yeah, I was giving the benefit of the doubt to UConn on the PAC12.

I don't care what Massey says, It was my vote not Masseys. That's why they play the games.

Conferences have a way of surprising in the tournament, maybe I underestimate the PAC, but we'll see.

The problem with Baylor was the 2 Bigs, Cox was material in that game.

I don't see that happening with Stamford, OSU, or Oregon, hence my statement that they could run the table. MSU would be a good game but I still give UConn the edge, home or away doesn't matter..

The ACC wasn't listed in the Choice but I commented on that in the post.

Reaction Score
When it comes down to someone's opinion it is very simple... who would you put your money on in a game of UCONN vs. WhoeverU. That is where your opinion matters. So if you would put money on Oklahoma over UCONN... then bless your soul and kiss that money goodbye. Because if you look at UCONN's record these past so many years, that would be a very bad bet. My opinion is N.D. and Louisville in the ACC would be the teams in one conference that would give UCONN the most trouble. I don't see any other conference that has two teams that would match up with the Huskies. They are certainly more vulnerable this year than normal, but that makes this season more interesting.

Reaction Score
The WCBB landscape has changed in the last few years. There is certainly much more parity now. We can see that in respect to the up and down movement in the various quadrants of the ranked teams. There are more teams than ever from even the next lower quadrant that are capable on a given day to beat a team at the next upper one. In respect to the teams in the same quadrant the odds of a team losing is much higher. No team plays their A game all the time. When they do not and the opposition plays their A game the number of teams that are capable of beating each other increases. Teams that play in conferences that have more teams capable of beating them if they are not on their A game will naturally have more losses.

The B10 or Baylor's conference has almost no teams that realistically provide any threat to Baylor. The same is true for UConn. Now the ACC has a number of teams that are capable of beating their top teams on given days. So does the Pac 12. The Big 12 only has Maryland highly ranked and then their is a big drop off to a lower tier. The SEC has Miss St and then again a drop off to the next tier. When teams play a schedule with a lesser number of potential threats their odds of being caught on a bad day are diminished.

Generally speaking the greatest threat would be to teams in the same tier, but the next tier down would also be a threat on the right day. The only conferences that have both multiple same top tier and second tier teams are the ACC and Pac 12. What many Uconn posters do not understand is that their team would not only be threatened by those top tier teams but also the teams in the next tier it they were not playing their A or B games and the other teams where playing their A game. Every team has games when they are off. If you happen to be playing a team who is no threat you get away with it. Your odds of getting Knocked off by teams your are better than increases. Benefit of the doubt wins tend to decrease under those circumstances. This years Uconn team would have far more losses in the Pac 12 and ACC than some of their fans would wish to believe. Especially if they faced multiple back to back threats on the same weekend.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1 if the B12, 1 if the ACC, zero anywhere else.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
When it comes down to someone's opinion it is very simple... who would you put your money on in a game of UCONN vs. WhoeverU. That is where your opinion matters. So if you would put money on Oklahoma over UCONN... then bless your soul and kiss that money goodbye. Because if you look at UCONN's record these past so many years, that would be a very bad bet. My opinion is N.D. and Louisville in the ACC would be the teams in one conference that would give UCONN the most trouble. I don't see any other conference that has two teams that would match up with the Huskies. They are certainly more vulnerable this year than normal, but that makes this season more interesting.

I agree that in a game of UCONN vs. WhoeverU the smart money would be behind UCONN. But that's not really the whole story--to me, at least--involving conference play. It's the weekly challenge of playing against teams that might actually beat you if you don't play well and they do. That challenge doesn't exist in the AAC. So--if UCONN doesn't play well, they will certainly hear about it from the coaches and that won't be fun, but they also won't end up with a loss. In a conference like the Pac 12 or ACC I don't think that would be the case--not in all of the games, of course, but in a number of them. In that context, being the best team is not necessarily the same as being an undefeated one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom