POLL: Given Blake's Report, UConn's Post Strength... | The Boneyard

POLL: Given Blake's Report, UConn's Post Strength...

How Will UConn Fare in the Post This Season?

• Same as last year

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Better than last year

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Much better than last year

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Kickin' ass!

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Kickin' ass and then some!

Votes: 24 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn's post strength this season will be ...

DY-NO-MITE!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My expectation is that Stef, Kiah, and Buck will be the best 1-2-3 punch at the 5 spot in WCBB. Certainly, Brittney Griner's 1 punch by itself would be preferable, but post play is absolutely a source of strength for UConn. With a unique force like Griner, having a few bodies to throw at her and make her work is critical.

I also think the additions of Morgan and Breanna will open things up for the centers, especially if KML improves in her interior game as she seemed to be doing as last season progressed.

HGN

Reaction Score
My expectation is that Stef, Kiah, and Buck will be the best 1-2-3 punch at the 5 spot in WCBB. Certainly, Brittney Griner's 1 punch by itself would be preferable, but post play is absolutely a source of strength for UConn. With a unique force like Griner, having a few bodies to throw at her and make her work is critical.

I also think the additions of Morgan and Breanna will open things up for the centers, especially if KML improves in her interior game as she seemed to be doing as last season progressed.
I agree alexrgct.........There will be no better 1 ,2, 3 , punch in WCBB. This 1, 2, 3 punch will neutralize a number 1 punch Griner. That gives us 15 fouls to throw at any other teams post. And we would still have Stewie to bring in if necessary.

The whole thought makes me Smile bigtime.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
In looking at "post strength," you have to look at power forwards as well. Baylor has three seniors: Destiny Williams, Brooklyn Pope, and Brittany Griner (Williams and Pope play power forward and in the paint/closer to the basket, though both are a tad undersized for the position). Griner is a force of nature, while Williams and Pope are capable scorers, with Williams having developed into a consistent third option/double-digit scorer. Also, while Griner averaged 9.5 rebounds per game last year, Williams was close behind at 9.1 boards per contest.

With UConn, both Faris and KML defended opposing power forwards at times, but they are perimeter players/wings. So in looking at UConn, the true post plaeyrs are: Stewart, Stokes, Stef, and Buck. I could see Morgan Tuck in the post, but I would expect her to float between the small forward and power forward positions, depending on matchups (even using KML as the de facto shooting guard, with Hartley at the point, for a much bigger lineup).

So in looking at 3S (or S-cubed) and Buck, I see a super talent (and potential superstar) in Stewart, an ever-improving Stef, and the untapped potential of Stokes (who showed what she can do most notably against Duke last year), along with Buck. Now, Heather defended Griner well for stretches last year, but by the time UConn played Duke, it was Stokes who was put on the opposing team's best post player (for Duke, that was Elizabeth Williams).

Given the fact that Baylor has three seniors as its top post players while Stewart has yet to play a college game, I see Baylor with an edge in post strength going into the season. But keep in mind, these things can change, once the games are played. As an example, Dolson, as a sophomore, developed a mid-range/foul line jumper that Williams and Pope did not have as juniors. As another example, did anyone predict Stokes would play as well match up against Elizabeth Williams as she did?

Reaction Score
... keep in mind, these things can change, once the games are played. As an example, Dolson, as a sophomore, developed a mid-range/foul line jumper that Williams and Pope did not have as juniors...
Correction: Stefanie Dolson didn't develop a mid-range jumper as a sophomore; she had it as a freshman, but lost it for the first half of her sophomore year. It only appeared that she improved. She lost her dead-eye ability as a free-throw shooter as well during that same period.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think UConn's post strength is the Boneyard, because we have the best posters anywhere--like Blake!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree alexrgct.........There will be no better 1 ,2, 3 , punch in WCBB. This 1, 2, 3 punch will neutralize a number 1 punch Griner. That gives us 15 fouls to throw at any other teams post. And we would still have Stewie to bring in if necessary.

The whole thought makes me Smile bigtime.

Did you actually write "Griner" and "punch" in the same sentence? :)

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Correction: Stefanie Dolson didn't develop a mid-range jumper as a sophomore; she had it as a freshman, but lost it for the first half of her sophomore year. It only appeared that she improved. She lost her dead-eye ability as a free-throw shooter as well during that same period.

Williams' jumper isn't too bad either, she saved us a few times.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With UConn, both Faris and KML defended opposing power forwards at times, but they are perimeter players/wings. So in looking at UConn, the true post plaeyrs are: Stewart, Stokes, Stef, and Buck. I could see Morgan Tuck in the post, but I would expect her to float between the small forward and power forward positions, depending on matchups (even using KML as the de facto shooting guard, with Hartley at the point, for a much bigger lineup).
I think Tuck will see more time at the 4 than the 3. And possibly Stewart more time at the 3 than the 4.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I see that one vote has us "same as last year." That's simply not a rational conclusion, even if you strip all Boneyarders of their homerism. The only player we lost was a guard and we have plenty of options at post. Even in the case of one post regressing that post player would simply get less time, while in most cases you would expect a post player to improve each year under a superb coaching staff, both individually and fitting in with the team. I'll give odds that one irrational vote is not by a UConn fan (though I would not want to short change us in that department :)).

Reaction Score
It appears that Stef has made great improvement over the summer. Kiah's injury may have prevented much improvement. Hopefully Heather, being a year older, will result in improvement.

The question is, how much has Baylor, and particularly Griner improved? Has she put on some weight? Worked on her strength? How did she spent the summer? Does turning down the Olympics have unforeseen implications?

Nobody can handle Griner one-on-one, but I'm confident Geno will devise a plan that will even the playing field.

Both teams have reason to be optimistic, and we, the fans of women's basketball, will be the winners regardless of the final score.

Reaction Score
(to HGN) Did you actually write "Griner" and "punch" in the same sentence? :)
BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! MISATTRIBUTION ALERT!
The original perpetrator was not HGN, but Alex. He wrote that "Griner's 1 punch by itself would be preferable."
Texas Tech's Jordan Barncastle may dispute that call!

Reaction Score
I think Tuck will see more time at the 4 than the 3. And possibly Stewart more time at the 3 than the 4.

I agree.

I continue to believe that although Breanna brings a huge potential to UConn's lineup, she also creates position problems for the coaching staff in terms of what is her natural/most effective position on the floor?

IMO, she is too thin to play the 4 spot against elite or even very good teams. (And I have agued many times that, IMHO, Morgan will be much better than Breanna or Kelly at the 4 spot.)

KML's most effective and natural position is at the 3 spot, IMO.

If, for the sake of discussion, KML is moved to the 2 spot, to make room for Breanna at the 3 spot, then that would mean Bria has to play PG.

This past season UConn's offense was much more effective when Bria, Tiff, KML, Kelly and Stef were on the floor.

So the question continues to be: Who replaces Tiff in the lineup?

IMO, it will be Breanna. That once again raises the question of which spot will Breanna play?

IMHO, the consequences of the answer to the question of which position Breanna will play puts Caroline on the bench.

Peace,

John Fryer

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree.

I continue to believe that although Breanna brings a huge potential to UConn's lineup, she also creates position problems for the coaching staff in terms of what is her natural/most effective position on the floor?

IMO, she is too thin to play the 4 spot against elite or even very good teams. (And I have agued many times that, IMHO, Morgan will be much better than Breanna or Kelly at the 4 spot.)

If, for the sake of discussion, KML is moved to the 2 spot, to make room for Breanna at the 3 spot, then that would mean Bria has to play PG.

This past season UConn's offense was much more effective when Bria, Tiff, KML, Kelly and Stef were on the floor.

IMO, it will be Breanna. That once again raises the question of which spot will Breanna play?

IMHO, the consequences of the answer to the question of which position Breanna will play puts Caroline on the bench.

Peace,

John Fryer

One question you ask that is easy to answer is who will replace Hayes. It's Lewis. At least in the starting lineup.

I am curious which 4's on elite or very good teams Stewart will have trouble with because she is thin? I can't think of ONE match-up where Stewart won't have the advantage.

I really think your questions are too specific. The lineups will be fluid and one player won't replace the same player every time Geno makes a sub. I would bet you will see many combinations over the course of a game with Lewis playing the 2,3 or 4 and Stewart playing the 3,4 or 5. Tuck is versitile enough to play the 3 or 4. And Stokes can play the 4 or 5. Faris has played the 1,2,3 or 4 in the past. And Hartley can play the 1 or 2.

The options are amazing and certainly not a problem for Geno.

Reaction Score
I agree.

Peace,

John Fryer

I'm curious. Could you list all the 4's that Stewart can't guard? Or maybe just 2?

Reaction Score
UConn will have no matchup problems with the exception of Baylor perhaps. The matchup problems will be for their opponents to solve, not them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know if Tuck will be better than Stewart at the 4, I just think the 4 might be Tuck's best position. She reminds me, so far, a lot like Williams/Raymond. At least the way she operates on the block.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One question you ask that is easy to answer is who will replace Hayes. It's Lewis. At least in the starting lineup.

I am curious which 4's on elite or very good teams Stewart will have trouble with because she is thin? I can't think of ONE match-up where Stewart won't have the advantage.

I really think your questions are too specific. The lineups will be fluid and one player won't replace the same player every time Geno makes a sub. I would bet you will see many combinations over the course of a game with Lewis playing the 2,3 or 4 and Stewart playing the 3,4 or 5. Tuck is versitile enough to play the 3 or 4. And Stokes can play the 4 or 5. Faris has played the 1,2,3 or 4 in the past. And Hartley can play the 1 or 2.

This I totally agree with. Just to expand on it - it's been noted in the past that Geno truly loves recruiting players who are flexible/versatile and able to play multiple positions. Both Bree AND Morgan are very capable 3-point shooters (Something Tamika, Swin AND Ashja were NOT when they were at UCONN). He certainly has set plays that are run, but more often, he teaches the players to think on the court and score around what the defense gives them.

So my point is, offensively, just because Morgan (or Bree) are on the court does not mean one will be playing the 4 "in the post all the time". They are both matchup problems for opposing teams because if they are playing the "4", in man to man defense, the other team will need to chase them out on the perimeter. It's way more complex than that, but the point is aside from Stef, every single person on the team can play at least 2 "positions", and even Stef has a really good mid range jumper.

Reaction Score

What follows are just my opinions. (And I am reacting to Doggy's last sentence. I am not attacking Kelly.)

Kelly is a proven product at the 4 spot. And she has been a major contributor to UConn's success playing at the 4 spot.

However, when I think back over the body of work Kelly has done at any position, other than at the 4 spot, I can't see or understand how a convincing argument could be made that UConn would benefit from such a move.

At best, Kelly has only had spotted/limited experiences at UConn playing any position other than the 4 spot. (The Waltz defense (defensive indifference) in guarding Kelly is the prime example of my point. Kelly was an effective offensive threat in only two (2) perhaps three(3) games last season.)

IMO, we would lose much more than we would gain by following your suggestion that she would/could be effective at the 1, 2, or 3 spots. (Did she developed a consistent and effective offensive shot over the summer? She certainly has shown that she has one so far in her career. In order to win, a team must have consistent/effective scoring threats at the 2 and 3 spots. That is also true for the PG, but to a lesser extent.)

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Does Geno even think in terms of position numbers? As far as I can tell, Geno thinks only in terms of guards and big guys and even then, the pieces have to be "interchangeable" in that their objective on offense is to create mis-matches and on defense to minimize them. It's not really clear he thinks in terms of "positions" - but rather actions.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What follows are just my opinions. (And I am reacting to Doggy's last sentence. I am not attacking Kelly.)

Kelly is a proven product at the 4 spot. And she has been a major contributor to UConn's success playing at the 4 spot.

However, when I think back over the body of work Kelly has done at any position, other than at the 4 spot, I can't see or understand how a convincing argument could be made that UConn would benefit from such a move.

At best, Kelly has only had spotted/limited experiences at UConn playing any position other than the 4 spot. (The Waltz defense (defensive indifference) in guarding Kelly is the prime example of my point. Kelly was an effective offensive threat in only two (2) perhaps three(3) games last season.)

IMO, we would lose much more than we would gain by following your suggestion that she would/could be effective at the 1, 2, or 3 spots. (Did she developed a consistent and effective offensive shot over the summer? She certainly has shown that she has one so far in her career. In order to win, a team must have consistent/effective scoring threats at the 2 and 3 spots. That is also true for the PG, but to a lesser extent.)

Peace,

John Fryer

I said "Faris has played the 1,2,3 or 4 in the past. "

She has. You added the effective and where she would be more effective.

With all the options, my point was that Geno can move players around at will.

If he is playing Dolson, Stewart, Lewis, Faris and Hartley at the same time does it matter who is the 2,3 or 4?

You are fixating on the "number" of the position. Geno doesn't do that.

And guess who lead the team in assists last year. Certainly not from the 4 spot. Who ever does that?

Kelly is a better offensive player than you give her credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom