Poll - Best UCONN performance in a NC game... | The Boneyard

Poll - Best UCONN performance in a NC game...

What is the best individual performance in a NC game by a UCONN player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So I was thinking we've had many heroes over the years step up in NC games, and I wanted to add Schuey's performance of 9 blocks in 2000 but there weren't enough spaces... But who had the best individual performance in a National Championship game? What do you think?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
By the way I chose Shea's performance - in some ways winning the 2nd might have been just as hard if not harder than winning the first, and Shea was such a warrior. also it was a game where UCONN lost to the LV's during the regular season and her performance came after enduring rehab from 2 ACL's leading up to that point in her career.

UCONN jumped out to a 21-6 lead and never looked back, but instrumental in the getting the lead was She's play on both ends of the court complementing Shuey's 9 blocks. I know she didn't score the most points as compared to the others, but it might have been one of the most satisfying NC's for me personally watching us dismantle mighty Tennessee... And Shea was the biggest part of that... and one of my all time favorite Huskies...

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Chose Maya's performance vs. Stanford.. UCONN was dead in the water until Maya the Magnificent got in gear. No NC if not for her in that game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Shuey.

In terms of FF performances, the top three are all in semis- DT vs Texas, Sales vs Tennessee, Stewart vs ND.

Sort those three out as you will, but those three are the list IMO.

Reaction Score
Shuey.

Absolutely. Because of their overall career performances, it's easy for her to be forgotten when the mentions are of Lobo, DT, Tina and Maya. But for that one night her domination was total and unparalleled.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
On Tapatalk so I can't see the poll options, but for mojo's sake, I'll go with Tina's 25 and 19 against Louisville.

Reaction Score
It's a tough call between Diana's 2003 and Maya's 2010 performance. Diana's 2004 performance does not even belong in the list, it was really a total team contribution. I will vote for Maya, she clearly saved the day. DT's greatest game was in the 2003 national semi against Texas.

Reaction Score
Rebecca.

UConn was behind and struggling, and then I believe she hit 12 footers on 3 straight possessions to set the comeback in motion.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's a tough call between Diana's 2003 and Maya's 2010 performance. Diana's 2004 performance does not even belong in the list, it was really a total team contribution. I will vote for Maya, she clearly saved the day. DT's greatest game was in the 2003 national semi against Texas.
Yeah, but that's also a tribute to DT in 2004, because as Geno said after the game, if it wasn't for her often semi-crippled effort in practices all season, Turner, Strother, and Moore aren't standing tall in that pressure game. In 2003 the Huskies had to have a DT max performance to win, but by 2004 with their star hobbled by back and feet issues and constantly being pounded in the paint by a double\triple teamed asortment of elbows, hips, and knees, the matured rest of the team were ready to make the the other tourney teams such as UTenn pay. And it was DT's absence in parts of four late-season games that gave the other starters the confidence to know they could handle the action without looking for her on every play.

Reaction Score
Shuey.

In terms of FF performances, the top three are all in semis- DT vs Texas, Sales vs Tennessee, Stewart vs ND.

Sort those three out as you will, but those three are the list IMO.
I voted for DT 2003 because that was a young team and DT totally put the team on her shoulders and defeated a tough Tennessee team.

Most enjoyable though would be Shuey hands down. That game and Shuey's performance combined a lot of factors:
1. That game told the world that the Huskies were here to stay.
2. The previous several years had been so frustrating due largely to injuries.
3. Shuey was relatively unheralded nationally.
4. No one expected anything but a very close game--Tenn still had two of the three Meeks.
5. Shuey's blocks were very, very loud.
6. As the game went along, UConn seemed more and more to be able to do anything it wanted.
7. Nothing creates a sense of domination like shot blocks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seems like most feel Dee's 28 point outburst followed by Maya's work in beating Stanford. No wrong answer of course. I would have added Schuey if there was one more slot available...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I voted for DT 2003 because that was a young team and DT totally put the team on her shoulders and defeated a tough Tennessee team.

Most enjoyable though would be Shuey hands down. That game and Shuey's performance combined a lot of factors:
1. That game told the world that the Huskies were here to stay.
2. The previous several years had been so frustrating due largely to injuries.
3. Shuey was relatively unheralded nationally.
4. No one expected anything but a very close game--Tenn still had two of the three Meeks.
5. Shuey's blocks were very, very loud.
6. As the game went along, UConn seemed more and more to be able to do anything it wanted.
7. Nothing creates a sense of domination like shot blocks.

Concur. My recollection is that Shuey's blocks seemed to demoralize Tennessee, one dagger in their heart after another. Sort of like the effect Stewie had on ND the other night.

Shuey and Stewie, I like that. How about Diana and Breanna?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Before I saw the poll, my thought was Shuey.

There's a line in the animated show Justice League (oh, stay with me :D ) where Superman says most of the time he has to be very careful on Earth because to him it's as if everything is made of cardboard. However, against this particular enemy (Darkseid for those that are wondering), he can just unleash and pound away. That's how I think of that particular performance bu Shuey. It was as if she'd been unleashed against UConn's greatest foe and she swatted them into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom