Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno): | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno):

Who is the best Coaching coach right now (able to coach players up and game management):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU has 5 top 100 ranked recruits on that team.

The year they went to the Final 4? I'd like to see that in print. I know Weisner and Wiese were top 50/top 60 type recruits. Who else? Certainly not Hamblin or Gulich, they weren't even a blip on the radar when it came to recruiting. Maybe Hunter or Hanson were just barely inside the top 100. Again, I'd really like to see a list of 5 top 100 ranked recruits from that year.

Reaction Score
Since OSU has made the final four and MSU the championship game twice in a row, no he hasn't "done more" with less. He did less with less. Though admittedly, that claim is less powerful, rhetorically..
I used the wrong words. What I was saying previously was there isn’t a team regularly in the top 25 that has one or no top 100 ranked recruits besides Doug. He does extremely well without the talent. I still can’t find a team regularly in the top 25 that does that. MSU and OSU’s final four teams all had 5 top 100 recruits. Doug deserves to be on the list. All I’m saying. Lol.

Reaction Score
The year they went to the Final 4? I'd like to see that in print. I know Weisner and Wiese were top 50/top 60 type recruits. Who else? Certainly not Hamblin or Gulich, they weren't even a blip on the radar when it came to recruiting. Maybe Hunter or Hanson were just barely inside the top 100. Again, I'd really like to see a list of 5 top 100 ranked recruits from that year.

Brown, Siegner, McWilliams, Weisner, and Wiese.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Muffet, Tara, and Dawn are the only coaches I can think of that Vic has a losing record to, so I'll say one of them.

*edit JP McCallie too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer built back to back runner up teams with very few highly rated recruits. Scott Rueck built a F4 team with zero highly touted recruits. There's 2.

Doug Bruno has never made it beyond the Sweet 16 and has only made it 5x in 30 years. I cant recall his team ever pulling a big upset or being in the hunt for a Final Four. He is a good coach but doesnt belong on this list.
Also we beat Louisville in the NCAA tournament in 2016 and Duke in 2014. I would call those big games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Brown, Siegner, McWilliams, Weisner, and Wiese.

Thanks, I was forgetting McWilliams. Still, not all top 100 recruits are equal. That was not a collection of blue chippers. It was fairly stunning when that group won 3 straight Pac 12 titles when you look at the way Stanford and the LA schools recruit. And getting to the Final 4 was seriously overachieving. So they had 5 top 100, how many top 25/McD AA players were on the Baylor team they beat? I bet a whole lot more than 5.

Also, only 2 of those 5 were starters FWIW.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I was forgetting McWilliams. Still, not all top 100 recruits are equal. That was not a collection of blue chippers. It was fairly stunning when that group won 3 straight Pac 12 titles when you look at the way Stanford and the LA schools recruit. And getting to the Final 4 was seriously overachieving. So they had 5 top 100, how many top 25/McD AA players were on the Baylor team they beat? I bet a whole lot more than 5.

Also, only 2 of those 5 were starters FWIW.
I’m not taking away anything that he did. He did and still continues to do an incredible job. What I stated was facts though. And I don’t care what Baylor did with their all Americans. Someone was saying Doug didn’t deserve to be on the list and they brought up MSU and OSU and I came with facts. Sooooo I believe I’m right. Lol.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Muffet, Tara, and Dawn are the only coaches I can think of that Vic has a losing record to, so I'll say one of them.

He has a losing record to Coach JP McCallie as well :p:eek::eek::confused::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
OSU has 5 top 100 ranked recruits on that team.

MSU has 6 top 100 ranked recruits that year I think they both did amazing jobs and are amazing coaches. I’m saying Bruno has done more with less talent and well I just showed that. Lol.

Like I said DePaul has 1 who was I think Kelly Campbell. By the way she has the best assist to turnover ratio in the country at the moment.

Well, Bruno hasnt sniffed a final four so he hasnt done more with less. He's done less with less.

Neither MSU nor OSU had any top 20 kids on their F4 squads while most Final Four squads have rosters littered with top recruits. I stand by what I said, Doug Bruno has no business being on this list.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Also we beat Louisville in the NCAA tournament in 2016 and Duke in 2014. I would call those big games.

DePaul had 4 top 100 recruits play in the Louisville game and 3 in the Duke game. By your logic, being a Cinderella Sweet 16 team with 4 top 100 recruits is doing more with less making a Final Four with 5 top 100 recruits. Gimme a break.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I’m not taking away anything that he did. He did and still continues to do an incredible job. What I stated was facts though. And I don’t care what Baylor did with their all Americans. Someone was saying Doug didn’t deserve to be on the list and they brought up MSU and OSU and I came with facts. Sooooo I believe I’m right. Lol.

He doesnt deserve to be on a list of 5 coaches in contention for best coaching coach. If you want facts, his program has:
-never been in contention for a Final Four or title
-never advanced beyond the Sweet 16, nor have they ever been favored to
-he hasnt had any players he's developed into standout pros or high draft picks
-he's never even pulled an upset over a top 5 team as far as I know
-he's never been ranked in the top 5

Every other coach I've listed has accomplished this and has developed players who were not highly touted to become standout collegiate players or pros. That's top coaching.

Doug is a good coach and steadily makes DePaul a top program in a mid major year in and year out, but he has proven far less in these areas than all of the other coaches listed on here. He doesnt deserve to be on this list even if you cherry pick facts that barely support your claim.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
-he hasnt had any players he's developed into standout pros or high draft picks

I think we have to give him credit for Allie Quigly.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think we have to give him credit for Allie Quigly.

That's true. Although worth noting, Quigley while a very good player collegiately, wasnt pro-trade when she first entered the league. It took her 6+ years as a pro to develop her game to where she was a rotation player, and she has obviously flourished since then.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm not a UCONN fan and he's not in the league of most coaches listed. Might as well throw Jen Rizzotti and Carla Berube on there if being associated with USA Basketball or friends with Geno gets you coaching points.
So don’t vote him.You have 6 other choices to go for or if your choice isn’t list, do a write up on why in your comments. Lighten up or move on to another thread.

Reaction Score
Why is Doug Bruno on here? Especially over the likes of Kelly Graves, Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Jeff Walz, Brenda Frese, etc?
Because it is like what the main stream media does in polling. Make the poll read the way you want it by intentionally leaving some off.

Reaction Score
I wonder how Doug Bruno would do if he had the talent UCONN or ND seem to get year to year? Just a curiosity since this thread has turned into the Doug Bruno coaching thread ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I voted for Vic. He took his teams to the NCAA title game twice without a single McDonald’s all-American, and Victoria Vivians his only highly ranked recruit at #24 in hoopgurlz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart is now the Head Coach at Univ. North Carolina. If she was still at Princeton, I'd be tempted to vote for her, but I'll wait until she gets more experience at a higher level. I voted for Tara.
She is a good coach and very personable and good with the players. I'm curious to see how she does at UNC as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
God help me I ended up voting of Muffet. I don't particularly like her with the shots at Geno, not applauding for Stewie, etc., but she has very successful and has figured out to compete against UConn. I respect her coaching ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom