Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno): | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll: Best Coaching Coach (not named Geno):

Who is the best Coaching coach right now (able to coach players up and game management):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Lol I'll eat my crow. UCONN is gonna win this but props to DePaul for putting up a huge fight in the second half. Far from the prettiest game but quite entertaining nonetheless!

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey deserves to be on the list. Her resume speak for itself.
She has created a dynasty in Waco, TX.
She is among the top 5 coaches in the nation.

Coach Mulkey

In 18 seasons as a head coach, she has attained 539 career victories and ranks No. 2 among the winningest active Division I head coaches in winning percentage (.846). She is No. 3 all-time by percentage between two mentors, second-ranked Leon Barmore (.869) and Pat Summitt (.841).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But in-game decision-making is not his strength, as is reflected by the fact that (at least during the Maya/Stewie years), his teams had a sub-.500 record in games decided by 5 points or less. As I recall, it was quite a bit below .500. He has acknowledged mistakes with not calling time-outs when he should, and in one NCAA loss in the mid-2000's to LSU, he and the rest of the staff failed to recognize that LSU was switching their defense between man and zone based on whether their last offensive possession resulted in a make or a miss.
Always thought this was Geno's Achilles heel. I felt it had a lot to do with his game preparation. He would work so hard at that, and he was really good at it, it seemed he was very reluctant to change in game (almost an ego thing). However, he has improved his in game management, at least in trying to make adjustments the last few years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wonder how Doug Bruno would do if he had the talent UCONN or ND seem to get year to year? Just a curiosity since this thread has turned into the Doug Bruno coaching thread ;)
Win Gold medals. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd probably go with Belichick. But he wasn't on the list either. :cool:

Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey deserves to be on the list. Her resume speak for itself.
She has created a dynasty in Waco, TX.
She is among the top 5 coaches in the nation.

Coach Mulkey

In 18 seasons as a head coach, she has attained 539 career victories and ranks No. 2 among the winningest active Division I head coaches in winning percentage (.846). She is No. 3 all-time by percentage between two mentors, second-ranked Leon Barmore (.869) and Pat Summitt (.841).
Agree she should have been on the list. The poster who made up the vote thought she was a more competent recruiter who underperforms as a coach since she only has got to 4 Final 4's with all her great talent even though 3 resulted in National Championships. I put her and Muffet in the same class and a little ahead of Tara (who won the poll) who I think needs to win it all in this century to be in the class of those 2. Still she is a great coach and in my mind #4 of the current coaches who all have 2 or more NCs behind Geno, Muffet, and Kim in that order.

As for those who the initiator thought should be worthy of the poll of 8 coaches I put the other 6 in this order: Rueck, Schaeffer, Graves, Moore, Bruno, and Banghart...all very good coaches This is pretty close to the final results of the poll order with the caveat that Graves was added to the poll later after over 80% of the ultimate voters had already voted and Kim should have been on the list. Still the straw poll did launch a healthy discussion.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I guess I haven't paid that close of attention to this thread. I know it's too late to add to/modify the poll. I'd be tempted to put Lisa Fortier on there ahead of Banghart. A lot less years as a HCs, so far fewer victories, but higher winnning % and 3 times as many NCAA Tourney wins in quite a few less appearances. Fortier has GU playing at a real high level the last few years. Will be interesting to see what Banghart does at UNC moving forward.

Reaction Score
I guess I haven't paid that close of attention to this thread. I know it's too late to add to/modify the poll. I'd be tempted to put Lisa Fortier on there ahead of Banghart. A lot less years as a HCs, so far fewer victories, but higher winnning % and 3 times as many NCAA Tourney wins in quite a few less appearances. Fortier has GU playing at a real high level the last few years. Will be interesting to see what Banghart does at UNC moving forward.
Fortier is good and a strong up and comer. Nice win for her and her team tonite over Missouri State . The original poster didn't feel she was in his top 7 which eventually turned 8 when he added Graves after 53 votes were already cast. You could argue there are others and the posts could go on forever. I still think the initiator got the top coaches in the survey for us to vote for the best WBB coach not named Geno, except I do think (as others did) that Mulkey should have been on the list.

Reaction Score
Not at the top of a list....but a very good coach at a football oriented school...

Sue Semrau.

....her teams made tourney in 13 of last 14 years
....five Sweet 16's, three Elite 8's
....Associated Press, WBCA and ESPNW National Coach of the Year (2015)

Reaction Score
The issue comes down, for me, who does the best job to exceed expectations each year and has the team develop beyond what most other coaches could do. All are worth candidate, my final two are Scott Rueck and MM. Wes Moore was an honorable mention. The best coach is…Scott Rueck. Now that he is starting to get top players, let’s see when he can win a title.
For my money there is only "The Muffet". Nobody rocks a dayglow traffic green scarf like my Muffet. Nobody. And the animal prints. What can I say. Transcendent.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First off, to all you chuckleheads who can't seem to type "@DefenseBB" as opposed to "the poster" or the "initiator", show a bit of courtesy and use my meme, It's not that hard (yes @domerduck and @Mulder this is directed at YOU!).
Second, yes, I did some assessment on who was a good coach vs. who was a good recruiter, and while we have some vocal Baylor fans here, see my Dec 8th post. KIM has clearly underachieved at times given all her talent. YES she won 3 titles and is considered top 5 (or higher) but all things equal (talent wise) I think the list I put up on the board has shown a stronger "coaching up" ability than Kim. Her paltry number of Final Fours is evidence especially when compared to Tara and Muffet despite having more talent. I do question her ability to "right the ship" as all any one of our fellow posters has to do is display the picture of the infamous "jacket toss" and you can clearly understand she let the game get away from her early in the first half. Top coaches (6, 7 or 8) don't let that happen.

I do want to clarify something-I did want to edit Courtney Barnhart to "Princeton/NC" vs. just "Princeton" but the poll would not let me, while doing that I tried adding a name-Kelly Graves and it let me do that but then I could not delete it (odd but whatever). I had debated about Kelly as he had a great run at Gonzaga and has built Oregon into something on the National level. Lisa has continued (she needs to continue AND improve or build a program somewhere else to qualify) which is nice but not an elite 8 nice yet.

This is a fun poll and the dialogue was insightful and of good opinions for the most part with many posters qualifying their perspective. Some where critical without any analysis sadly, to justify their opinion. As I said at the beginning of both Coaching poll threads- Recruiting and Coaching are required skills and if you had both at an elite level you would be Geno. MM comes closest but is probably lacking on the recruiting part, Kim also is close but lacks on the coaching part. This is evidenced of both by the lack of WNBA players when compared to Geno. Tara probably lacks in the recruiting aspect over her years and is why she only has 2 Titles despite an great number of FF. Please note the word "probably" when deciding on the top 7 or 8 coaches in a category. I will do a follow-up poll at the end of the year (after the title game) and have 10 choices for each and we can see where the line gets drawn as this poll has a clear top 4.

Reaction Score
First off, to all you chuckleheads who can't seem to type "@DefenseBB" as opposed to "the poster" or the "initiator", show a bit of courtesy and use my meme, It's not that hard (yes @domerduck and @Mulder this is directed at YOU!).
Second, yes, I did some assessment on who was a good coach vs. who was a good recruiter, and while we have some vocal Baylor fans here, see my Dec 8th post. KIM has clearly underachieved at times given all her talent. YES she won 3 titles and is considered top 5 (or higher) but all things equal (talent wise) I think the list I put up on the board has shown a stronger "coaching up" ability than Kim. Her paltry number of Final Fours is evidence especially when compared to Tara and Muffet despite having more talent. I do question her ability to "right the ship" as all any one of our fellow posters has to do is display the picture of the infamous "jacket toss" and you can clearly understand she let the game get away from her early in the first half. Top coaches (6, 7 or 8) don't let that happen.

I do want to clarify something-I did want to edit Courtney Barnhart to "Princeton/NC" vs. just "Princeton" but the poll would not let me, while doing that I tried adding a name-Kelly Graves and it let me do that but then I could not delete it (odd but whatever). I had debated about Kelly as he had a great run at Gonzaga and has built Oregon into something on the National level. Lisa has continued (she needs to continue AND improve or build a program somewhere else to qualify) which is nice but not an elite 8 nice yet.

This is a fun poll and the dialogue was insightful and of good opinions for the most part with many posters qualifying their perspective. Some where critical without any analysis sadly, to justify their opinion. As I said at the beginning of both Coaching poll threads- Recruiting and Coaching are required skills and if you had both at an elite level you would be Geno. MM comes closest but is probably lacking on the recruiting part, Kim also is close but lacks on the coaching part. This is evidenced of both by the lack of WNBA players when compared to Geno. Tara probably lacks in the recruiting aspect over her years and is why she only has 2 Titles despite an great number of FF. Please note the word "probably" when deciding on the top 7 or 8 coaches in a category. I will do a follow-up poll at the end of the year (after the title game) and have 10 choices for each and we can see where the line gets drawn as this poll has a clear top 4.
I love "chuckleheads", or, is it @chuckleheads"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom