POLL: #2 Stanford at #1 S. Carolina TUESDAY | Page 4 | The Boneyard

POLL: #2 Stanford at #1 S. Carolina TUESDAY

Who Wins the Last 1 vs 2 matchup of 2021?

• Stanford

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • S. Carolina

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • Overtime either way

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
it's funny how fans of the most physical teams that get away with the most dirt can't really see it and demand touch fouls on the other end.

The passion of sports.

Reaction Score
Well when the ESPN front page headline is "S. Carolina wins 1-2 showdown with record rally," and just about everyone I've spoken too thought the reffing was fairly favorable to S. Carolina, you'll have to excuse me if my grapes were a bit sour minutes after the game ended.

All credit to S Carolina, and Stanford needs to deal with reffing that mildly favors the home team when they play away, because that's a common phenomenon in sports - it's well documented, not some sort of conspiracy on my part. Nor is it why Stanford lost.

Working on turning those sour grapes into wine, but give me another day. :p

The announcers flavor that a good bit by what they point out.

For instance Lexie Hull pushing Beal out of bounds wouldn't necessarily have been remarkable without the announcer making a fuss about it. I thought what else is new, but then yeah, that was a really bad no call.

Reaction Score
Well when the ESPN front page headline is "S. Carolina wins 1-2 showdown with record rally," and just about everyone I've spoken too thought the reffing was fairly favorable to S. Carolina, you'll have to excuse me if my grapes were a bit sour minutes after the game ended.

All credit to S Carolina, and Stanford needs to deal with reffing that mildly favors the home team when they play away, because that's a common phenomenon in sports - it's well documented, not some sort of conspiracy on my part. Nor is it why Stanford lost.

I mean can it be totally blamed on the refs though? Stanford relinquished a 18 point lead. Also watching the game in person you’re able to see much more than that of a TV screen. I advise you to watch some of your Stanford players much more closely, especially when they don’t have the ball. Lexie was giving shoves to anyone guarding her on the dribble handoffs. Fran set a screen so illegal I thought Brea would need medical attention afterwards. The list goes on and on. Tons of missed calls both ways so I don’t think the refs should be blamed. Stanford lost this game with their inability to keep control of the ball it’s that simple. When they’re clicking it’s the best offense you would be able to see! I really admired what they did in the first half! Great game to y’all and hopefully we can do it again in Three months!

Reaction Score

you're one of my faves in these forums and appreciate the passion, but a lot of people are bringing up Brink kicked ball from last season when they Stanford refs bring up the reffing in this game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is the last I'll say on the subject. South Carolina wasn't called for a single foul until more than 17 minutes into the game. Even the most dedicated South Carolina fans have to admit that is an anomaly that defies any kind of explanation. Fouls sorta evened out eventually...but not really.

Reaction Score
This is the last I'll say on the subject. South Carolina wasn't called for a single foul until more than 17 minutes into the game. Even the most dedicated South Carolina fans have to admit that is an anomaly that defies any kind of explanation. Fouls sorta evened out eventually...but not really.
And at the end of that 17 minute lapse Stanford was killing SCar. Once fouls started being called on Scar, they started coming back.

A logical case could be made that Scar played passively and didn’t foul during the 17 minute stretch when they were getting killed. Then they started playing aggressively on defense ( and fouling) which resulted in the comeback

Reaction Score
Interesting play at end of 2nd quarter. 5.1 seconds left, South Carolina rolls the ball down the court on inbounds. South Carolina doesn't touch the ball until after it crosses half court, and pretty close to 5 seconds. Ref's blow the whistle and let South Carolina inbound the ball again. Anyone know what that call was?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Refs pretty clearly favored SC this game even if it wasn't intentional. Boston is a great player and is the runaway choice for POY early on but got away with a lot this game while Brink had tough calls go against her. Last year in the Final Four it was Stanford getting the calls down the stretch and SC had a case to be upset.

Did the refs impact the result of the game? Possibly, but probably not IMO. SC looked like the much tougher team down the stretch and Boston/Henderson were the best players on the court last night. At the end of the day it's another win stacked onto SC's sterling resume and I dont think this loss will hurt Stanford at all come tournament time. Both teams are in the same spot they were before, but both have clear areas they need to work on. I think they're probably the 2 best teams in the country right now but a lot can (and will) change between now and March.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Interesting play at end of 2nd quarter. 5.1 seconds left, South Carolina rolls the ball down the court on inbounds. South Carolina doesn't touch the ball until after it crosses half court, and pretty close to 5 seconds. Ref's blow the whistle and let South Carolina inbound the ball again. Anyone know what that call was?
The clock started early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom