Points Per Game Next Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Points Per Game Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gibbs put up 16 ppg in the big east... With another year under his belt, being the primary ball handler, and a much weaker conference, I'd be disappointed if he didn't get at least 18ppg

The AAC is not a much weaker conference. Doesn't mean he can't average 18ppg but it won't be because it is a weaker conference

Reaction Score
I'd be very disappointed if Gibbs is the leading scorer, he should average 5+ assists and his scoring can be around 10. Let's have our front court score some points for once.

Reaction Score
Frst thing to remember if point totals seem high-a this team has more established weapons this year which should allow to us to hit 70 regularly. In addition, with the 30 second clock your going to see at minimum there will be 12 more possessions per game (in 40 min, if each possession runs the rull 35, its 68-69 possessions, with the 3 seconds clock its 80), meaning if you shoot 45 percent your looking at 8-10 more points. Plus, this team should be looking to play at a higher pace, with Adams/Purvis/Dham able to push the tempo, espcially with Brimah and Miller both capable of running the floor. I really think this team can score 76+ per game. Whether they can defender though..

Anyway, my projctions. I set up a spreadsheet if anyone else want to use. it.

Gibbs PG1/SG2 ball handler/3's 30min-24pg 6sg 12p 3r 4.6a 1.5s 0.5b 1.3to
Purvis SG1/SF2 D/tempo/drive/3's 28mpg 20sg 7sf 15p 3r 1.5a 1.8s 0.8b 1.8to
Hamilton SF1/PF3 Offense Focus 32mpg 28sf 4pf 14p 8.5r 5.2a 1s 0.4b 2.3to
Miller PF1 rebound/d/spacing 24mpg 22pf 2c 8p 8r 1.6a 1s 1b 1.8to
Brimah C1 D/Blocks/Dunks 28pmg 28c 14p 6r 0.5a 0s 5.2b 2to

BENCH
Adams - pg2/sg2 6th man scorer 26mpg 16pg 10sg 7p 2r 3a 2s 0.6b 2to
Facey PF3 backup 4 12mpg 12pf 3p 5r 0a 0s 1.2b 1t0
Nolan C2 backup 5 10mpg 10c 2p 2r 0a .3s .5b 0to

Obviously those 58 bench minuts, 58 shuld go to the above 3, with Cassel/Calhoun.Enoch getting the rest depending on the situaion how they are playing. I know KO usually plays a deep bench to get guys ready for later in the year, but with the talent in the top 6, maybe 7, you want those guys out there as oftend a possible.

I have teh date for teh rest, but i really expect this team to play an 8 man rotation with Adams getting heavy bench minutes, Facey and Nolan giving our bigs a rest-although Enoch may beat one of them out for time or take minuts away fro the starters depending on how everyone is playing. Basically, i see us splitting time between the traditional lineup with Gibbs. Adams?pruvsi in a rotation and playiying them at the same time with either miller brimah or hamilton on the bench.

Reaction Score
When have we had a potentially more versatile roster?

It's been a while since we've had multiple players who could go for 20 or more in a given game. Purvis, Hamilton, Gibbs, Brimah and Miller have (not as sure on DHam but he could next year for sure) and we know Jalen more than likely has that potential. Not easy to defend and I think for this reason alone, this makes a guy like Miller even better than what we see. He was always seeing any teams best defender all the time now they really can't focus on him at all. Same with Gibbs, Rodney etc etc..

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
It's been a while since we've had multiple players who could go for 20 or more in a given game. Purvis, Hamilton, Gibbs, Brimah and Miller have (not as sure on DHam but he could next year for sure) and we know Jalen more than likely has that potential. Not easy to defend and I think for this reason alone, this makes a guy like Miller even better than what we see. He was always seeing any teams best defender all the time now they really can't focus on him at all. Same with Gibbs, Rodney etc etc..
DHam went for 25 last year against Memphis and 20 against USF in the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
I'd be very disappointed if Gibbs is the leading scorer, he should average 5+ assists and his scoring can be around 10. Let's have our front court score some points for once.

Just don't understand this line of thought. Nobody operates this way anymore.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The AAC is not a much weaker conference. Doesn't mean he can't average 18ppg but it won't be because it is a weaker conference
I hate to go off topic, but yes it is. At least for right now

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not a much weaker conference, the AAC could have 5 teams in the tourney next year. And he needs to sacrifice for this team to be good. He was THE man at Seton Hall with Whitehead, but he's gonna have a lot more talent around him this year. He needs to help distribute and facilitate more at UConn, still score, but he doesn't need to score 18 per game. 14-15 would be great.
They had 6 bids in the tourney this year, same as the ACC, they're way better than us right now.

Reaction Score
It was my understanding that there would be no math, but some of the predictions here have us averaging high 70s to low to mid 80s. We will be very talented, but I think there is little chance we're dropping 80+ a game. Our best teams, who ran and were pushing tempo, didn't get there. I'm thinking, as usual, we will go 9 deep max so some guys (Cassell/Omar, Phil/Enoch) are going to see very little minutes. You figure starting five plus backup combo guard (Adams/Gibbs-whomever doesn't start) plus two backup bigs (Facey and either Phil/Enoch).

Reaction Score
It was my understanding that there would be no math, but some of the predictions here have us averaging high 70s to low to mid 80s. We will be very talented, but I think there is little chance we're dropping 80+ a game. Our best teams, who ran and were pushing tempo, didn't get there. I'm thinking, as usual, we will go 9 deep max so some guys (Cassell/Omar, Phil/Enoch) are going to see very little minutes. You figure starting five plus backup combo guard (Adams/Gibbs-whomever doesn't start) plus two backup bigs (Facey and either Phil/Enoch).

I understand what you're saying, but 2 things I would like to point out. One, as you said, the increase in talent should mean a higher team shooting percentage and at least 2 more baskets if we play at the exact same pace. That would put us just under 70 ppg. Second though, is the 30 second shot clock, which should really benefit teams with good offensive coaches-which KO is (he may not be hoiberg on O, but there are not many NCAA coaches who understand how to utilize mismatches and get guys in the right spot for them to succeed better than KO). More than that though, a 30 second shot clock means at least 10 more possessions per game leading to at least 8 points if the team shoots even 40%.

Basically, while i agree that this team may not be our most efficient offense ever, because of rule changes our raw point totals may indeed be higher than anticipated. This could all be moot though if the team fails to develop chemistry (I don't expect this to be a problem as both Gibbs and Miller are 5th year guys-presumably more mature-who came here with the goal of winning a title). Also, Purvis seems to be the consummate team guy (maybe not in terms of passing on the court), in terms of welcoming the new guys and keeping morale high and Brimah, even as a freshman, was a guy who seemed to get along with everyone but also commands the respect of the team. On top of that you've got Adams, who has won everywhere he's gone and understands what it takes and bench players in Nolan/Calhoun-one who has never had a problem bringing energy off the bench and the other who watched his minutes dwindle and remained an engaged, enthusiastic member of the team. We know nothing official yet, but I get the sense this team knows how good it can be.

Reaction Score
It was my understanding that there would be no math, but some of the predictions here have us averaging high 70s to low to mid 80s. We will be very talented, but I think there is little chance we're dropping 80+ a game. Our best teams, who ran and were pushing tempo, didn't get there.

Unless I'm badly misreading the stats, pretty much all of our pre-2011 best teams averaged at least high 70s and several averaged over 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom