better to learn thru winning
to gain confidence

Jalen is learning
how to take over the game
scoring points his role

team offense the key
defensive pressure the rules
UConn scores at will

Linked haiku to tell one story is certainly a part of the Japanese tradition, and the piece doesn't leave the reader with odd or weak line ending words like 'a' or 'of': each one serves a purpose.

But still, there are weird oddities here. The lack of punctuation seems a modernist twist, as is "thru" for "through," which seems to evoke drive-thru fast food. Is Son of Robert suggesting all basketball is merely a short, ephemeral delicacy, to be consumed and tossed aside? All we do and watch is ultimately for the capitalist machine? It certainly does ask questions.

I don't like how I have to read "conference" as 3-syllables. It feels forced. As does the end of S3L3: "scoring points his role." The grammar breakdown calls attention to itself without adding much. This happens throughout: the form controlling the poet, rather than vice versa. Still, there are the seeds of a strong writer here.

Andrew's Score: Early Weldon Kees

David 76:

What is UNH?
New Haven or New Hampshire?
Either way a win.

There's a simplicity to David 76's haiku. It asks a question about place: what is a place? Does it matter if the result is the same regardless? The haiku leaves that question open.

I do like minimalism, but still, the lack of a comma seems sloppy.

Andrew's Score: Amy Lowell

ZennConn:

Rebuilding programs
Chop wood and carry water
No shortcuts, just win!

The allusion to the Tao Te Ching goes well with the poet's name. It has some grammatical issues as well, but the haiku is image driven: one can almost imagine Jalen chopping wood, Al dragging water, and Kwintin in the back, wishing there were something he could dunk on. It is well executed.

Andrew's Score: William Carlos Williams

Kenny11:

Noon start time today
Let us see who is awake
Jumpmane kills warmups

Jumpmane is an interesting portmanteau here, and it gives the reader a sense of the fierceness of Kwintin, longing to kill (of warmups) and enjoy the spoils of war. But then, one must remember that it is the Lioness, not the Lion, who hunts--and she has no mane. So the poem, perhaps intentionally, calls attention to the fact that Kwintin mostly sits away, out of the sunlight, waiting to let the rest of the pride score the win so he can swoop in. Who is awake? Clearly Kenny11

Andrew's Score: Elizabeth Bishop

Migs:

Tall Free Throw Experts
Our chances are limited
Try to keep it close

Why are the words in the opening line capitalized? It's a great question that we scarcely can ask before before we're plunged into the first person plural possessive. We are now part of the team--but in what way are our chances limited? Surely it is true about life--our birth limits us in so many ways!--but in basketball? And, given our obvious superiority to UNH, was Migs suggesting that, out of a sort of philanthropy we should let them stay close? But isn't there greater cruelty in that?

Andrew's Score: Matthew Prior

Butch:

UNH stands for
University of No
Hardware, their fans say.

My haiku sucked bad.
I know, I know, please don't say.
Just had to mock school.

The first haiku had a hint of comedy to it. It made this reader smile. The second, though tried too hard--if one is to write poetry, one should own it, not dissemble and pretend not to care. It loses points for refusing this.

Andrew's Score: Samuel Daniel's Butler

nomar:

The times sure have changed
I take nothing for granted
Still, we should kill them

There's violence and change at the heart of this poem, along with a aphoristic resignation to the world as a whole. Still, the paucity of specific imagery hurts what otherwise could really work. It is, in other words, too abstract for it's own good sometimes.

Andrew's Score: William Bronk

Dove:

The yard work is done!
Back East Palate Mallet time!!
White Mountains notchy.

There's such joy in this poem. It's almost like a work-song: the peasant celebrating the end of his day with something that evokes something far off and inaccessible: the tropics. It all helps to ease the meaningless of all this life here. A beer fan can almost taste the citrus in the Palate Mallet, in a way that evokes the Chinese classical tradition of wine-drunk poems.

Andrew's Score: Li Po

Reaction Score
Son of Robert:

Linked haiku to tell one story is certainly a part of the Japanese tradition, and the piece doesn't leave the reader with odd or weak line ending words like 'a' or 'of': each one serves a purpose.

But still, there are weird oddities here. The lack of punctuation seems a modernist twist, as is "thru" for "through," which seems to evoke drive-thru fast food. Is Son of Robert suggesting all basketball is merely a short, ephemeral delicacy, to be consumed and tossed aside? All we do and watch is ultimately for the capitalist machine? It certainly does ask questions.

I don't like how I have to read "conference" as 3-syllables. It feels forced. As does the end of S3L3: "scoring points his role." The grammar breakdown calls attention to itself without adding much. This happens throughout: the form controlling the poet, rather than vice versa. Still, there are the seeds of a strong writer here.

Andrew's Score: Early Weldon Kees

David 76:

There's a simplicity to David 76's haiku. It asks a question about place: what is a place? Does it matter if the result is the same regardless? The haiku leaves that question open.

I do like minimalism, but still, the lack of a comma seems sloppy.

Andrew's Score: Amy Lowell

ZennConn:

The allusion to the Tao Te Ching goes well with the poet's name. It has some grammatical issues as well, but the haiku is image driven: one can almost imagine Jalen chopping wood, Al dragging water, and Kwintin in the back, wishing there were something he could dunk on. It is well executed.

Andrew's Score: William Carlos Williams

Kenny11:

Jumpmane is an interesting portmanteau here, and it gives the reader a sense of the fierceness of Kwintin, longing to kill (of warmups) and enjoy the spoils of war. But then, one must remember that it is the Lioness, not the Lion, who hunts--and she has no mane. So the poem, perhaps intentionally, calls attention to the fact that Kwintin mostly sits away, out of the sunlight, waiting to let the rest of the pride score the win so he can swoop in. Who is awake? Clearly Kenny11

Andrew's Score: Elizabeth Bishop

Migs:

Why are the words in the opening line capitalized? It's a great question that we scarcely can ask before before we're plunged into the first person plural possessive. We are now part of the team--but in what way are our chances limited? Surely it is true about life--our birth limits us in so many ways!--but in basketball? And, given our obvious superiority to UNH, was Migs suggesting that, out of a sort of philanthropy we should let them stay close? But isn't there greater cruelty in that?

Andrew's Score: Matthew Prior

Butch:

The first haiku had a hint of comedy to it. It made this reader smile. The second, though tried too hard--if one is to write poetry, one should own it, not dissemble and pretend not to care. It loses points for refusing this.

Andrew's Score: Samuel Daniel's Butler

nomar:

There's violence and change at the heart of this poem, along with a aphoristic resignation to the world as a whole. Still, the paucity of specific imagery hurts what otherwise could really work. It is, in other words, too abstract for it's own good sometimes.

Andrew's Score: William Bronk

Dove:

There's such joy in this poem. It's almost like a work-song: the peasant celebrating the end of his day with something that evokes something far off and inaccessible: the tropics. It all helps to ease the meaningless of all this life here. A beer fan can almost taste the citrus in the Palate Mallet, in a way that evokes the Chinese classical tradition of wine-drunk poems.

Andrew's Score: Li Po

Wonderful literary critiques posted here. Not too serious, fun to read, a dashing evaluation of Boneyard talent. Me thinks @tzznandrew would be a welcome contributor to our game day haiku'.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wonderful literary critiques posted here. Not too serious, fun to read, a dashing evaluation of Boneyard talent. Me thinks @tzznandrew would be a welcome contributor to our game day haiku'.

Do you remember all those great screenplays that Pauline Kael wrote? No?

The man has a gift. An extremely narrow, specific gift. Don't force him out of his lane.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Such is the beauty of the haiku form, that meaning lies entirely in the mind of the reader. I offer alternate interpretation of a couple.

ZennConn:

ZC packed double pertinence into his haiku -- to his handle as you so aptly stated, but also, to Hurley's philosophy, as evidenced by his "reading club" and its first assignment. "Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall in Love with the Process of Becoming Great," and how it has changed the mindset of the entire team.

Dove:

I believe that in this context, one must consider this another case of double pertinence. Is the poet relieved to be finished raking leaves in time to enjoy the game? Or is he resigned to the fact that there is nothing more the (Bone)yard can do to help our team defeat the foe, as with the posting of appropriate haikus, the mojo has been fueled, and and it is entirely up to the team now to throttle the opponent?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread makes me want to participate in the Haiku thread again. Sadly, mojo forbids it for the time being.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Oh, wait, Adub Rubs Chubs, I think, no?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Do you remember all those great screenplays that Pauline Kael wrote? No?

The man has a gift. An extremely narrow, specific gift. Don't force him out of his lane.

I looked up Pauline Kael so now I understand your post. I even reread the post by @tzznandrew and gained a greater appreciation for the knowledge and intellect it portends, and I have respect for this. I remain mostly convinced however that an individual with this striking command of the English language could certainly compose haiku. Three lines is not a screenplay.

Also, quite truthfully, I would not wish to nudge anyone out of their comfort zone.

I do hope that @tzznandrew will continue to review our haiku'. Very enjoyable, thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I respect the work of the poet, truly, so I'll defer to Alexander Pope:

But you who seek to give and merit fame,
And justly bear a critic's noble name,
Be sure your self and your own reach to know,
How far your genius, taste, and learning go;
Launch not beyond your depth, but be discreet,
And mark that point where sense and dulness meet.
Nature to all things fix'd the limits fit,
And wisely curb'd proud man's pretending wit:
As on the land while here the ocean gains,
In other parts it leaves wide sandy plains;
Thus in the soul while memory prevails,
The solid pow'r of understanding fails;
Where beams of warm imagination play,
The memory's soft figures melt away.
One science only will one genius fit;
So vast is art, so narrow human wit:
Not only bounded to peculiar arts,
But oft in those, confin'd to single parts.
Like kings we lose the conquests gain'd before,
By vain ambition still to make them more;
Each might his sev'ral province well command,
Would all but stoop to what they understand.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll aim for Jack London next time. Just gotta howl and mention sledding.

I'm going for William Blake myself.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a wise choice. William Blake is a genius.

Jack London? Less so, especially poetically.

If nothing else, I've proved today that I can take constructive criticism.

Reaction Score
London was about drama in nature, I know.
Sure, in that boring, derivative Naturalist way. I can handle his novels just fine, but his poetry is tripe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom