Podcast with Daniel Hamilton | The Boneyard

Podcast with Daniel Hamilton

Reaction Score
Hi guys,

Got some time with Daniel Hamilton for the latest episode of my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. We talk about his UConn career - from the AAC Tournament run to his decision to leave. Some interesting insight into his time (especially when he mentions some areas he'd rather not talk about).

Check it out:

Reaction Score
Good listen. Definitely a little awkward when he mentions unsaid things that were transpiring around that time (to no fault of your own).

Edit: I’m also glad to hear he feels his sophomore team underachieved. That was the year I began questioning Ollie. Hamilton, Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Miller, Brimah as a core should’ve never been an 8 seed or bubble team.

Reaction Score
Good listen. Definitely a little awkward when he mentions unsaid things that were transpiring around that time (to no fault of your own).

Edit: I’m also glad to hear he feels his sophomore team underachieved. That was the year I began questioning Ollie. Hamilton, Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Miller, Brimah as a core should’ve never been an 8 seed or bubble team.

Thanks. Definitely some interesting comments.

Reaction Score
Clearly a lot was going on behind closed doors at UConn at the end of Ollie's tenure. I have to give a lot of respect to the players on those teams and the guys who transferred out for keeping it in-house. Shows a lot of maturity. I wonder if there was some kind of team meeting where the guys decided to keep a lid on everything. Nice that even now, Hamilton politely said he prefers not to talk about it.

Reaction Score
Thanks again gwhf.

Good stuff as everyone said interesting "behind the scenes" mention. Seems like Daniel had his mind made up to hit the NBA but because of these issues there was never a shot of a "Jim Calhoun - Rip" change of minds he wanted out. I can't figure out whether it was a KO going awry as a coach or maybe just KO not agreeing with how he wanted to be used. Nonetheless his awkward little laugh told a story.

Good kid, could've been a great Husky with another year potentially but still was gifted as heck as a point forward.

Reaction Score
Hi guys,

Got some time with Daniel Hamilton for the latest episode of my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast. We talk about his UConn career - from the AAC Tournament run to his decision to leave. Some interesting insight into his time (especially when he mentions some areas he'd rather not talk about).

Check it out:

Really interesting, because Daniel, without any prompting from you, brings up the fact that there were some things going on that he would prefer not to mention, and then goes on to mention that a few more times. Kudos to you for not digging, but it almost feels like he maybe wanted to tell?

Reaction Score
Really interesting, because Daniel, without any prompting from you, brings up the fact that there were some things going on that he would prefer not to mention, and then goes on to mention that a few more times. Kudos to you for not digging, but it almost feels like he maybe wanted to tell?

he's probably in a tough spot with the legal battles going on with Ollie and UConn, it's probably smart of him not to say anything.

Reaction Score
he's probably in a tough spot with the legal battles going on with Ollie and UConn, it's probably smart of him not to say anything.
Good point. Considering KO's attorneys have subpoenaed everyone under the sun it's probably best if he stays clear of any chance of getting involved in the legal mess.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Good listen. Thanks.

The health issues and transfers were frustrating in those years, but the two things I was most disappointed in was DH leaving and the lack of development of AB over 4 years.

People always complain about KO recruiting. I liked the players, just needed to develop and keep them on campus. Sounded like DH had his mind made up, but I always thought there is no way JC does not get him back for a third year.

He and Adam's would have been a great combo the next year.

Loved both players. Wanted DH to shoot more and AB to be a more dominant big.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Hi guys,

Check it out:

Thank you for this. DH is one my favorite guys. With a better shot he would have had a great chance to be an All-American in his sophomore year. Puzzling, because he was a great free throw shooter.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Also, always wanted to know what went down with him leaving before it was time imho. Not sure I still know. Did Ollie somehow sabotage DH's draft status?

DH begins around 12:06 with - it was understood he was gone and later around 13:00 he says stuff went down and laughs in response to Did Ollie ask you to come back.

Insiders, casual fans, anyone with any insight here? Would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I read some of the above comments. From that I get 1) KO and DH usage issues 2) beginning of the end for KO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was around the same time as the "illegal" workouts, alleged 30k Ollie paid a mother, Ray Allen phone calls and some other bs. Who knows what it was but he did subtly hint that it had to do with KO unfortunately.

Reaction Score
If you recruit Kwintin Williams, as a head coach at the prestigious University of Connecticut basketball program you should be questioned.

Reaction Score
Was around the same time as the "illegal" workouts, alleged 30k Ollie paid a mother, Ray Allen phone calls and some other bs. Who knows what it was but he did subtly hint that it had to do with KO unfortunately.

There was far more to it than that leading up to the transfers of Jackson, Durham and Enoch. That might have been a year later though.

Reaction Score
I'm by no means an Ollie defender but I took the "behind the scenes" issues that Hamilton was referring to as personal issues. I remember when he declared for the draft the rumor was that his family was going through some financial hardships and he needed to start making an income ASAP.

Not saying it's true, I obviously have no inside info, but nothing he says directly alludes to issues within the program itself.

Also he mentions that he had decided he was moving on before even starting his sophomore year and discussed it with Ollie himself without much objection. IMO if he was concerned with problems with the staff, why would he stay an extra year and not transfer if he was that unhappy?

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There was far more to it than that leading up to the transfers of Jackson, Durham and Enoch. That might have been a year later though.
Sounds like you know somethings....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom