Plug Pulled On Planned East Hartford Outlet Shops | The Boneyard

Plug Pulled On Planned East Hartford Outlet Shops

Reaction Score
I’ve been skeptical for a while. Usually when a project lags like this has there are issues. My guess is that the groundbreaking was more motivated by politics than an actual project. If it was real work would have been underway long before the symbolic groundbreaking.

Reaction Score
Not all that surprising when you look at the retail climate as a whole. I didn't think it would even go this far in the process. As the Mayor said, better that this happen now than halfway through development.

Reaction Score
If only someone had seen this coming. No one is making a construction loan on massive retail project when there are 2 dead malls within 20 miles, a mall that will lose at least 1 and potentially 3 anchors in the next 5 years within 10 miles, a market that already has 3 outlet centers within a 50 mile radius and major retailers declaring bankruptcy/store closings almost weekly in 2017.

Freescooter nailed it on the ground breaking. Get it done before election day.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The only thing that made sense about this project was the fact that it was stalled and now this, its over...days after the election.

I don't spend a lot of time in the Hartford area, but it was always hard for me to believe the region is under retailed in any way.

Can we now get the stadium parking set up so that the single game visitors don't have to walk 30 mins from the way out red lots. If they are trying to do everything to boost attendance, an easy one is to utilize that land around Cabela's for parking as well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Pretty laughable, but not surprising. This was obviously not going to be a successful venture--silver ln is a ghost town. Probably better for it to never have happened than to happen and fail

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Project run by clowns.

Reaction Score
I don't believe any smart developer or lender who says they are investing in mall space. In the next 10 years we could see a trouble revamping, if not closure, of several traditional anchor brands.

Reaction Score
Silver Lane Plaza is mostly empty...when I was growing up, Stop and Shop, Silver Lane Pharmacy, Woolworths and J.M.Fields were busy. Also, in the office buildings, there were Hartford National and Society For Savings and in the other group was East Hartford Savings and Loan, Battison's, Lincoln Dairy, Yankee Clipper Barbershop, Yankee Trader, but it's a dead plaza now...they should do an outlet mall there....

Reaction Score
I never really understood the idea. Buckland Hills Mall, everything around it and Evergreen Walk are 10 minutes away from Silver Lane on the east side of the river. Westfarms Mall, everything around it and West Hartford Center/Blueback Square are 15 minutes on the other side of the river. I can't believe there is demand for something in between for a large retail space.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't believe any smart developer or lender who says they are investing in mall space. In the next 10 years we could see a trouble revamping, if not closure, of several traditional anchor brands.

As the large chain stores have put mom and pop neighborhood stores out of business, hopefully this trend reverses as the chain stores begin to go under.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
As the large chain stores have put mom and pop neighborhood stores out of business, hopefully this trend reverses as the chain stores begin to go under.

Agreed. I do think that trend is already beginning. We're seeing a lot more small businesses and local commerce--especially when it comes to food and coffee. I'm 24 and I think it's something many people my age are dedicated to

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Dare I say a decision was made with some actual foresight?

They should build a big sports bar like a buffalo wild wings or whatever they have up near Patriots place if they were going to do anything.

Reaction Score
Retail is simply not the best use for that land. Office parks preferably in the aerospace sector would be much better. If that mall had gone ahead it would be vacant in twenty years like all those malls around Cleveland.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
My favorite part, "bring on Amazon." How out of touch are these people?

Literally a movement to turn the Enfield mall into Amazon HQ2. It's hilarious. Are we going to waste our time with that nonsense? The only shot CT would have is Stamford or New Haven, and even that is a long shot

Reaction Score
Literally a movement to turn the Enfield mall into Amazon HQ2. It's hilarious. Are we going to waste our time with that nonsense? The only shot CT would have is Stamford or New Haven, and even that is a long shot
Bradley is an asset though. It is almost always open when other airports are closing down due to whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Bradley is an asset though. It is almost always open when other airports are closing down due to whatever reason.
And that's a good reason for having distribution there, not a headquarters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this is a blessing in disguise. The outlet project was a loser. Nothing is better than a huge failure.

Reaction Score
Excellent choice not to build. It says taxpayers lots of money and that area is not an area people would go out of their way to go to.

Reaction Score
The mom and pop brick and mortar stores aren't coming back. If anything, they'll be mom and pop web "shops" like you find Etsy.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom