Please fire Bill Walton ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Please fire Bill Walton ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Leave Bill Alone!

latest

Reaction Score
I turned off the volume. The video got turned halfway through the second half also. I gave up.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Walton is a wasted salary and he's wasted, period. If I tune in to watch a BB game, I expect most of the discussion from any commentators to be about the game. If I wanted to see and hear a show about Oregon's rivers, I'd watch that on NatGeo.

Walton is a narcissistic blowhard.

Reaction Score
True fans don't need the commentary you can see whats happening right in front of you.

Yeah, but it would be nice to know what player the foul was called on when play suddenly stops.

But he is typically so deep into his acid flashback riff about [insert useless moronic topic here] that the play-by-play announcer can't even get a word in to describe what just happened on the court. Then to insult the viewers even more, ESPN splits the screen so the game is only on one half. Play continues along as Walton, on the other half of the screen, his bloodshot stoner eyes gazing absent-mindedly into some distant corner of the universe and strains of Casey Jones dancing in his head, prattles on about John Wooden/Pac 12/Maurice Lucas/Arizona/Trailblazers.

Reaction Score
Since the game started at 5:45AM in Japan, I went and got headphones before the game began so I could listen without waking up my girlfriend. Within a couple minutes I had taken the headphones off and was just watching in silence. Big improvement.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He's ahead of his time. It's a show within a show. Double the entertainment.

True fans don't need the commentary you can see whats happening right in front of you.
True enough, and if he's not your taste, at worst, he's an annoying MST3k knock off.
At best, let him inspire you to turn down the sound and turn up the music:

Golden State's 1975 NBA Finals 4-0 shellacking of the Hayes-Unseld-Chenier Bullets, with reel-to-reel tapes of lengthy Dead shows as the soundtrack, remmains my personal favorite and probably close to what Walton himself did.

And, gentle reminder: he was better than UConn on Sunday.

Reaction Score
He's a big relief to listen to. Keeps me entertained. I don't need a talking head stating the obvious like most of the boring ex-coaches out there doing color commentary.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Hes forgotten more about hoops than this board knows collectively, and I'll even include chief in that statement.

He's universally recognized as the most fundementally sound player to ever play.

Ive loved Walton since the 70s . He can do no wrong in my eyes, but the fact that recently he draws out such hatred and meltdowns for being a happy go lucky guy only ups my admiration.
Yeah, but it would be nice to know what player the foul was called on when play suddenly stops.

But he is typically so deep into his acid flashback riff about [insert useless moronic topic here] that the play-by-play announcer can't even get a word in to describe what just happened on the court. Then to insult the viewers even more, ESPN splits the screen so the game is only on one half. Play continues along as Walton, on the other half of the screen, his bloodshot stoner eyes gazing absent-mindedly into some distant corner of the universe and strains of Casey Jones dancing in his head, prattles on about John Wooden/Pac 12/Maurice Lucas/Arizona/Trailblazers.
I forgot that. The split screen. As if ESPN said 'Take that"

Reaction Score
I usually get to the 3rd TV timeout before a mute is necessary.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I honestly think he's great. Most commentators bring little of value anyways besides rehashing whatever the chosen talking point is over and over throughout the game. I'd rather have someone stoned and talking nonsense

Bill Walton Lifetime Achievements:

(1) Shooting 21/22 in the 1973 NCAA Championship Game
(2) Asking Dave Pasch "Have you ever been to a volcano when it's erupting?"
(3) Winning the 1977 NBA Finals MVP Award

Reaction Score
It's that time of year again. Bill Walton announcing Maui invitational. Apparently this year Bill Pasch isn't there with him and I just heard this exchange when I tuned in

"Jason? You're name's Jason right?"

"Yes. You can call me Bill Pasch if that helps"
ESPN3 has the Maui game with no announcers

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was about 10 replies in to this thread thinking it was about a UConn game tonight

Checked sked and I was like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Then I looked at the OP date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog