Please explain this | The Boneyard

Please explain this

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dallas vs. Phoenix - Box Score - May 18, 2018 - ESPN

Chong scored a total of 1 pt from a free throw against Mercury. She went 0-2 from the field.
Please tell me how that happened. A technical free throw? Or was someone injured and she made a free throw for her? Or is there some simple explanation that is escaping me?
The official transcript of the game says:
2:25 Leilani Mitchell away from play foul"
2:25 Saniya Chong makes free throw 1 of 1
And it looks like Dallas ball following.
An away from the ball foul must result in a one shot foul and possession in the WNBA.
The other possibility was a violation on the second shot attempt but that is usually recorded also and it would have been Pheonix ball not Dallas' .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dallas vs. Phoenix - Box Score - May 18, 2018 - ESPN

Chong scored a total of 1 pt from a free throw against Mercury. She went 0-2 from the field.
Please tell me how that happened. A technical free throw? Or was someone injured and she made a free throw for her? Or is there some simple explanation that is escaping me?
If you're fouled on a shot attempt there is no shot. In other words, your shooting percentage won't drop because you missed a shot; you were fouled instead.

Did I explain that in a way that makes sense to you?

On edit: if Saniya had shot the ball 10 times and was fouled every time, the box score would show 0-0 for field goals.

Reaction Score
If you're fouled on a shot attempt there is no shot. In other words, your shooting percentage won't drop because you missed a shot; you were fouled instead.

Did I explain that in a way that makes sense to you?

On edit: if Saniya had shot the ball 10 times and was fouled every time, the box score would show 0-0 for field goals.
It does not. But thanks everyone for the answers. I think CocoHusky and UConnCat got the correct explanation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom