Please don't overlook Dorka! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Please don't overlook Dorka!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Big is not always defined by height. She is very wide and plays tough. I do not think she will be an issue, but is the type of player we struggled with in the past.
Hope you are right.
I watched some replays of Bickle and didn’t see a single post move. She plays more like a wing than a post and so Aubrey may get the assignment on Bickle.

Bickle took a lot of mid-range and three point jumpers, seeming to avoid the paint. I was kind of surprised to see flops as part of her highlight video :rolleyes: I hope the refs don’t call those

JBK

Reaction Score
I watched some replays of Bickle and didn’t see a single post move. She plays more like a wing than a post and so Aubrey may get the assignment on Bickle.

Bickle took a lot of mid-range and three point jumpers, seeming to avoid the paint. I was kind of surprised to see flops as part of her highlight video :rolleyes: I hope the refs don’t call those
Good to hear. I just watched her vs South Florida and she was getting to the line a lot and grabbing loose balls.
Your scouting reports are dead on and takes that worry away.
Just do not want her getting offensive rebounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good to hear. I just watched her vs South Florida and she was getting to the line a lot and grabbing loose balls.
Your scouting reports are dead on and takes that worry away.
Just do not want her getting offensive rebounds.
Bickle averages a little over 2 offensive rebounds a game, 7.1 overall. Fontleroy and, especially, Littlepage-Buggs are actually more active on the offensive glass, statistically. On paper and looking at some replays, Bickle strikes me as Maddy Siegrist-lite

Reaction Score
When Dorka transferred to UConn. (and it was a transfer, not a portal player) she still had a couple of years left to play at Ohio State. She did graduate OSU in 3 years. Now that is pretty impressive in itself, especially for someone enrolling in a US college from Hungary. I watched her highlight films from Ohio State and was very impressed with her shooting, driving and overall mobility for a "big girl". It took her a while to learn the UConn system, and she has had a couple of major injuries. She appears now injury free and able to showcase all of her skills, and we are all very impressed!

Reaction Score
Yes, AE was doing a number on the small Vermont center/forward and Caroline was hot. Nika had her assists and defense. Everyone was concerned about Azzi as she play good team ball, but her shot was off. However, Dorka was kind of overlooked. Dorka had a top notch line of stats. Dorka had: the most rebounds, the only double-double, the most blocks, & NO turnovers, Dorka was 2nd to Nika in assists and 2nd to Nika in minutes played. Six keys areas where she was the top BIG. Dorka was also 2nd in steals and 2nd in scoring.
Lots of discussion on this thread and Dorka was an after thought on too many posts-- IMHO.

As a throw in---I think Vermont played an honorable game. They hustled, were aggressive, played smart, moved without the ball, had some nice plays that surprised UConn, and shot the three ball well. I also thought they were a well coached team. I like coaches who have played the game. Vermont was a winning basketball team in their league because they were the best in fundamentals, IQ, defense and shooting. They lost because UCONN has the same fundamentals, IQ, etc. but are 6 inches taller and 25 pounds stronger than Vermont (and most teams.) I believe that coaching has improved immensely in the women's game and players at all levels are working very hard. As some smart coach stated years ago-- a good big player will usually win against a good small player. Lots of good skills BUT SIZE MATTERS! Finally, UConn, South Carolina, and maybe Stanford are the only teams who have 7 or 8 players with STARTER TALENT. Vermont and the other 300 teams out there usually only have one --maybe two very good players. That's at least 3 weak links to attack.
Very astute analysis for a lot of reasons-- you're right, Dorka had one of those yeoman's steady type of a game that was overlooked until you check the stats. And what you stated as far as talent and height is so very true in the women's game, as unlike the men's game, it still is a vertical game where talent and height are almost indistinguishable.

'I've seen this with a few relatives of mine--both of my nieces were almost 6 footers in elementary school and one averaged about 35 points a game. Then her scoring average in middle school dipped to around 24 points a game, and then in high school, as there were a few other girls who were almost as tall, her average dipped to around 18. By the time, she graduated, this can't miss sure fire All-American was simply a good player, but nothing great. This is the procession that will be the same with some of the bigs in WBB--those like Cardoso, when they move to the WNBA where their height advantage isn't so pronounced, and they become average players, much like what happened to McCowan at MSU and the big at Baylor a few years back, because in the WNBA sheer height just doesn't cut it, and there height and talent become distinguishable.

Even the much-heralded Boston, will come down to earth in the WNBA--the volleyball game that she and Cardoso play on the offensive boards will not be afforded her in the pros, and so her shooting must improve, her foot work and ability to drive to the basket. Boston does have a motor and has a willingness to improve as she did so greatly between her sophomore and junior year. I know some will find this heresy what I say, but remember Britney Griner?--people thought she would just dominate the WNBA--she has done well, but she hasn't been dominant.

Starter talent that you mention and the dearth thereof, is what fueled the UConn dynasty for all those years--take those 2013 and 2014 teams--those teams had four and five bona fide first-team All-Americans as starters! and height and size to go along with talent.

Interestingly, this present UConn team is not far off the beat--with everyone healthy, they would probably have three first team All-Americans--Paige, Azzi and AE-- and two honorable mentions, Lou and Nika--(Sorry, I simply refuse to put AE on any third team when no big in the country has been as dominant.) The notable difference, aside from the injuries, is that the competitive talent and size of athletes across the country has grown to offset the tremendous talent that UConn has....

-

Reaction Score
Everyone loves and appreciates Dorka. Here's the problem: Azzi has a great game and Dorka is second best. Then Lou has a great game and Dorka is second best. Then Aaliyah has a great game and Dorka is second best. When you look at the complete body of work for Dorka it's much more impressive than any single game.

Reaction Score
Remember when Dorka went to Geno last year and said I dont know where to go. Geno told go to where you are comfortable and we will find you. She has grown so much as a player since then. She now finsishes with her left hand when going left. Has added spin moves in the paint. She is now driving to the hoop. She hasnt really become a more effective 3 point shooter since she got here but when we played SC Boston had to come out and guard, That opened up the paint for Aaliyah to work. She is one of the 5 that each one adds fuel to the engine that makes us go.

Reaction Score
Yes, AE was doing a number on the small Vermont center/forward and Caroline was hot. Nika had her assists and defense. Everyone was concerned about Azzi as she play good team ball, but her shot was off. However, Dorka was kind of overlooked. Dorka had a top notch line of stats. Dorka had: the most rebounds, the only double-double, the most blocks, & NO turnovers, Dorka was 2nd to Nika in assists and 2nd to Nika in minutes played. Six keys areas where she was the top BIG. Dorka was also 2nd in steals and 2nd in scoring.
Lots of discussion on this thread and Dorka was an after thought on too many posts-- IMHO.

As a throw in---I think Vermont played an honorable game. They hustled, were aggressive, played smart, moved without the ball, had some nice plays that surprised UConn, and shot the three ball well. I also thought they were a well coached team. I like coaches who have played the game. Vermont was a winning basketball team in their league because they were the best in fundamentals, IQ, defense and shooting. They lost because UCONN has the same fundamentals, IQ, etc. but are 6 inches taller and 25 pounds stronger than Vermont (and most teams.) I believe that coaching has improved immensely in the women's game and players at all levels are working very hard. As some smart coach stated years ago-- a good big player will usually win against a good small player. Lots of good skills BUT SIZE MATTERS! Finally, UConn, South Carolina, and maybe Stanford are the only teams who have 7 or 8 players with STARTER TALENT. Vermont and the other 300 teams out there usually only have one --maybe two very good players. That's at least 3 weak links to attack.
So I guess, there's the answer, she doesn't appear to be overlook by BYers.

Reaction Score
Dorka has never been taken for granted...by Boneyard followers or teams that play against her.
Very astute analysis for a lot of reasons-- you're right, Dorka had one of those yeoman's steady type of a game that was overlooked until you check the stats. And what you stated as far as talent and height is so very true in the women's game, as unlike the men's game, it still is a vertical game where talent and height are almost indistinguishable.

'I've seen this with a few relatives of mine--both of my nieces were almost 6 footers in elementary school and one averaged about 35 points a game. Then her scoring average in middle school dipped to around 24 points a game, and then in high school, as there were a few other girls who were almost as tall, her average dipped to around 18. By the time, she graduated, this can't miss sure fire All-American was simply a good player, but nothing great. This is the procession that will be the same with some of the bigs in WBB--those like Cardoso, when they move to the WNBA where their height advantage isn't so pronounced, and they become average players, much like what happened to McCowan at MSU and the big at Baylor a few years back, because in the WNBA sheer height just doesn't cut it, and there height and talent become distinguishable.

Even the much-heralded Boston, will come down to earth in the WNBA--the volleyball game that she and Cardoso play on the offensive boards will not be afforded her in the pros, and so her shooting must improve, her foot work and ability to drive to the basket. Boston does have a motor and has a willingness to improve as she did so greatly between her sophomore and junior year. I know some will find this heresy what I say, but remember Britney Griner?--people thought she would just dominate the WNBA--she has done well, but she hasn't been dominant.

Starter talent that you mention and the dearth thereof, is what fueled the UConn dynasty for all those years--take those 2013 and 2014 teams--those teams had four and five bona fide first-team All-Americans as starters! and height and size to go along with talent.

Interestingly, this present UConn team is not far off the beat--with everyone healthy, they would probably have three first team All-Americans--Paige, Azzi and AE-- and two honorable mentions, Lou and Nika--(Sorry, I simply refuse to put AE on any third team when no big in the country has been as dominant.) The notable difference, aside from the injuries, is that the competitive talent and size of athletes across the country has grown to offset the tremendous talent that UConn has....

-
And yet, tchalla, even with lots of good points on a thread dedicated to Dorka, you mention Lou and Nika as possible HM All-Americans and not Dorka... LOL! Even Azzi, whose game is pretty much about her potential to this point. Dorka has been proving it, game in and game out, throughout two seasons.

Everyone here professes his or her love for Dorka, yet when it comes down to it, they still place her behind players who have not performed as much or as well as she has.

Reaction Score
It is a team effort. We could never overlook Dorka. It is always about the TEAM. Sure, some individuals will stand out more than others from time to time. Or a player will have to sacrifice a piece of their game from time to time for the TEAM to win. In the end, it is always about the TEAM.

Reaction Score
I saw two UConn games live this year. The first was against Maryland when Dorka was not able to play. I think if she had been available the Huskies could have won that game. The second game was against Georgetown in DC. No one worked harder during that game than she did. There will definitely be a void to fill next season.

Reaction Score
And yet, tchalla, even with lots of good points on a thread dedicated to Dorka, you mention Lou and Nika as possible HM All-Americans and not Dorka... LOL! Even Azzi, whose game is pretty much about her potential to this point. Dorka has been proving it, game in and game out, throughout two seasons.

Everyone here professes his or her love for Dorka, yet when it comes down to it, they still place her behind players who have not performed as much or as well as she has.
Well Deacon, I do see your point on omission of Dorka--her importance to the team is unquestionable, but her overall play against top tier teams has a falling off, while the others that I mentioned for AA have had stellar games against premium opponents, Azzi for example, going off for 32 against NC State and also TX, Lou scorched TN in Knoxville for 25 and Nika has had killer assists game against top teams. Dorka's big games primarily have come against teams that lack size--as you recall, she was largely invisible against SC. i think that she has had a great season, but comparatively speaking, not an All-American year. That is not a knock on Dorka....

Reaction Score
Well Deacon, I do see your point on omission of Dorka--her importance to the team is unquestionable, but her overall play against top tier teams has a falling off, while the others that I mentioned for AA have had stellar games against premium opponents, Azzi for example, going off for 32 against NC State and also TX, Lou scorched TN in Knoxville for 25 and Nika has had killer assists game against top teams. Dorka's big games primarily have come against teams that lack size--as you recall, she was largely invisible against SC. i think that she has had a great season, but comparatively speaking, not an All-American year. That is not a knock on Dorka....
Well, it is a knock on Dorka, isn't it?

And your choice of games to highlight for the others is a sly form of cherry picking. Have Lou and Nika played really well in every game against top teams? I haven't checked, but I saw all of the games, either live or on TV, and I seem to recall especially Nika disappearing against some opponents.

Oh, well, lost cause, Deacon...:(

Reaction Score
Well, it is a knock on Dorka, isn't it?

And your choice of games to highlight for the others is a sly form of cherry picking. Have Lou and Nika played really well in every game against top teams? I haven't checked, but I saw all of the games, either live or on TV, and I seem to recall especially Nika disappearing against some opponents.

Oh, well, lost cause, Deacon...:(
It isn't a knock on Dorka when I say she hasn't had the year as other players--just like it's not a knock on Azzi or AE when I say they haven't achieved the heights as Paige has who has been a NPOY. And I don't recall Nika disappearing in big games, perhaps you could cite some for me... IMO, Nika has been very consistent. And you're saying Lou? She's easily been the most consistent high performer on the team, just ask Geno, who says she only had one bad game all season...

Please don't think I'm not putting Dorka down, but I was only ranking All-American play and one of the main criteria is your play against the best, and in the SC game, AE scored 25, Lou had 19, Aubrey had 17 and Dorka had 5. Against TN, Lou had 26 and AE had 25, and Dorka had 13. She had a good game, but AE and Lou had great games... again, that is no slight to Dorka as you seem to firmly want to make it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom