Playing Without Akok | The Boneyard

Playing Without Akok

Reaction Score
Just a little confirmation about how we've changed since losing Akok Akok..

A lot has been said about how the team is "developing" and plays "prettier" in the last week. That's clearly true, because as much as we love the young man and belive in his future, Akok was giving us nothing offensively the last few weeks we've played. The observations seem confirmed by a glance at Ken Pom this morning, where our offensive efficiency rating has moved into double digits for the first time that I can remember.

What hasn't been talked about, however, is that our defensive efficiency ratings have at the same time plummeted, and a glance this morning had us down roughly 20 spots in the fifties from where I recall being while Akok was playing.

So that is the recipe for the rest of the season. We can't replace Akok's defense with anyone on the roster, because Pork Chop and Josh aren't going to be on the floor together for most of the game, but between figuring out player's defensive roles and some more improvement from individuals (that's a hint James and Sidney), if we can get our team defense back to where it was a run in the AAC tourney or, more likely because of games not being played on consecutive days, the NIT, is not imposible to imagine.

Reaction Score
It looks like Hurley actually knows a thing or two about coaching judging by those numbers. Seems to me he's pretty good at working with what he has available to him and making proper adjustments to team strategy accordingly. Who would have thought?

Reaction Score
If Akok puts on some weight can he play the 5? Or is Whaley better suited?

I ask because Whaley is working his way into the starting position next season, and with putting in work in the off season, it should be his to lose. This is assuming Carlton does not make massive improvements or development.

But it looks like Whaley and Akok will be our best bigs.

Reaction Score
Yes in regards to Akok but that won't be for two years. Going into next year Whaley will see plenty of time at the 5.

Reaction Score
<snip>
... We can't replace Akok's defense with anyone on the roster, because Pork Chop and Josh aren't going to be on the floor together for most of the game, but between figuring out player's defensive roles and some more improvement from individuals (that's a hint James and Sidney), if we can get our team defense back to where it was, a run in the AAC tourney or, more likely because of games not being played on consecutive days, the NIT, is not imposible to imagine.
<end snip>

Two problems -- you are probably right in saying we can't replace Akok's defense -- and that's true regardless of any improvement from Bouk and Sid. And I'd suggest that we must make a run in the AAC tourney in order to have any shot at the NIT. Even if we finish the regular season 18-13, we are likely to be 6th in a field of 6 NIT candidates from the AAC, the others all having better overall W-L records, better conference W-L records and no worse than a split in the season's series with UConn. We have to knock off a couple of those in the AAC tourney or forget about the NIT.

Reaction Score
If Akok puts on some weight can he play the 5? Or is Whaley better suited?

I ask because Whaley is working his way into the starting position next season, and with putting in work in the off season, it should be his to lose. This is assuming Carlton does not make massive improvements or development.

But it looks like Whaley and Akok will be our best bigs.

isnt he already a starter now though? I cant imagine someone coming in from day 1 starting over him.

Reaction Score
Two problems -- you are probably right in saying we can't replace Akok's defense -- and that's true regardless of any improvement from Bouk and Sid. And I'd suggest that we must make a run in the AAC tourney in order to have any shot at the NIT. Even if we finish the regular season 18-13, we are likely to be 6th in a field of 6 NIT candidates from the AAC, the others all having better overall W-L records, better conference W-L records and no worse than a split in the season's series with UConn. We have to knock off a couple of those in the AAC tourney or forget about the NIT.
One thing you are not taking into account is ability to draw. NIT certainly does not go by record alone. If it's even close, they are taking us over Tulsa and SMU. We get to 18 wins, I guarantee we are in the NIT.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So which is it, playing without Akok, or playing this hard? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
It’s weird. While no one would say Whaley is a better offensive player from a skill standpoint than Akok he is much more efficient. He’s playing like a “dump it into him and get a bucket” type guy. Akok is not that type of guy.

Reaction Score
One thing you are not taking into account is ability to draw. NIT certainly does not go by record alone. If it's even close, they are taking us over Tulsa and SMU. We get to 18 wins, I guarantee we are in the NIT.

This is what I'm banking on. Our brand is our biggest ticket barring a disaster in any remaining games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If all goes according to plan (does it ever?) we will be at worst 19-14 which is probably a mid-seed in the NIT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

A lot has been said about how the team is "developing" and plays "prettier" in the last week. That's clearly true, because as much as we love the young man and belive in his future, Akok was giving us nothing offensively the last few weeks we've played. The observations seem confirmed by a glance at Ken Pom this morning, where our offensive efficiency rating has moved into double digits for the first time that I can remember.

What hasn't been talked about, however, is that our defensive efficiency ratings have at the same time plummeted, and a glance this morning had us down roughly 20 spots in the fifties from where I recall being while Akok was playing.

So that is the recipe for the rest of the season. We can't replace Akok's defense with anyone on the roster, because Pork Chop and Josh aren't going to be on the floor together for most of the game, but between figuring out player's defensive roles and some more improvement from individuals (that's a hint James and Sidney), if we can get our team defense back to where it was a run in the AAC tourney or, more likely because of games not being played on consecutive days, the NIT, is not imposible to imagine.

Spot on. The defensive lapses against Temple were glaring. With Akok we win that game handily as he puts a stop to all those easy baskets they got at the rim. I think it's easy for us to forget that when he gets 2-3 blocks in the first ten minutes and none the rest of the game, it is because they have stopped challenging him. He's impacting the game just by being there. Fitting that his last play of the season was a big block in the opening seconds of the game.

Really going to be interesting to see him come back and perhaps have elevated his offensive game.

Reaction Score

That used to be true, when the NIT was sponsored by the MIBA, a group of NYC schools. That was certainly true in 1997, when UConn got in with a 14-14 record and went to the semi-finals. But since the NCAA took over in 2005, things have changed. The NCAA has explicitly stated that performance, not drawing potential, is primary. For example, regular season conference champions who do not make the NCAA tourney, now get preference over all others. Further, the selection committee is no longer a group of NYC metropolitan-area coaches and ADs. Nor does ESPN any longer have any say in the matter. It is a national committee which happens, at present, to be very Mid-Western and very lightly representative of the Northeast. Bottom-line, the NIT is not operated today as a fund-raiser for Northeast schools or a commercial-draw for ESPN. The NCAA views it as a national consolation tourney for worthy teams that don't quite make it to the NCAAs. Net-net, UConn needs to win some games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s weird. While no one would say Whaley is a better offensive player from a skill standpoint than Akok he is much more efficient. He’s playing like a “dump it into him and get a bucket” type guy. Akok is not that type of guy.
I think the joke went over your head. Haha. Which is ok, it was a bad joke.

Reaction Score

if Hurley wants to be in...I think he will and should but if we get one more injury there is certainly a strong argument for the team to shut it down after the AAC tournament if any more injuries occur.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only wrinkle in the OP is how much softer is the team playing to avoid foul trouble as a result of lack of depth and how much is related to Akok's absence. Otherwise it's a great starting point.

Akok played 700 minutes until his injury. Josh currently ( as of 2/23) played 590 minutes and Whaley currently played 439 minutes. If you adjust all three players to Akok's minutes (700) the following would be the production for each of the three players. Parenthesis is actual numbers:

Player/700 (Actual)Offensive Rebounds/700 Minutes (Actual OR Numbers)Defensive Rebounds/700 Minutes (Actual DR Numbers)Blocks/700 Minutes (Actual Block Numbers)
Akok (700 minutes)33 (33)138 (138)59 (59)
Josh (590 minutes)94 (79)109 (92)36 (30)
Whaley (439 minutes)69 (43)185 (73)66 (37)

The third column demonstrates that numbers are not enough. Akok's intimidation factor is not factored in statistics. The second column is interesting. Whaley leads the team in DR/minutes played and that includes CV. I wouldn't have guessed it. Josh is a better OR than I would have guessed but how many of those are his missed bunnies?

Player(FG% including 3pt attempts) ((2pt FG%))Ft% (Made/Attempts)
Akok(.413% - 57 made/138 attempts) ((.489% - 45 made/92 attempts)) .594 (19/32)
Josh((.495 - 92 made/186 attempts)).492 (30/61)
Whaley((.516 - 48 made/93 attempts)).711 (27/38)

Akok's offensive production is similar to Josh's and Whaley's if you remove his abysmal .261 3pt%. However he is the weakest of the three in offensive rebounding and less likely to be aggressive on the offensive end as expressed by relatively small 2pt shooting and FT attempts. Whaley is by far the best FT shooter of the three. The team could significantly improve if Josh could improve his FT percentages.

I will add that imo Akok lacks the most situational awareness on offense. This significantly impacts ball movement. The combo of Josh at the five and Whaley at the four would be far more productive than Josh with Akok until teams respect Akok's 3pt shooting. He doesn't complement Josh near the basket like Whaley does. I believe had Josh and Whaley played more together there would have been far more big to big passing and less double and triple teaming of Josh.

Of course this is based on current development and Hurley will not have the ability to employ the Josh and Whaley combo for the remainder of the season. But next year, unless Akok's offensive development significantly improves Hurley will have an interesting decision to make regarding these three players. And that doesn't factor how he might bring along the new bigs.

Reaction Score
isnt he already a starter now though? I cant imagine someone coming in from day 1 starting over him.
I was thinking Carlton and Akok, or Whaley and Akok or Carlton and Whaley as our main two bigs. And with Whaley's recent performances along with off season development then Akok or Carlton would lose the starting spot. It appears Hurley favors smaller lineups or Polley at the 3.

So I was looking at 3 starting bigs fighting for 2 spots.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It looks like Hurley actually knows a thing or two about coaching judging by those numbers. Seems to me he's pretty good at working with what he has available to him and making proper adjustments to team strategy accordingly. Who would have thought?
Agreed but he doesn't have a lot of options to ponder

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Not sure about the data here! Eye test tells me Pork Chop is playing some pretty good D. I am not sure we were getting more from Akok in the last few games he played

Reaction Score
I was thinking Carlton and Akok, or Whaley and Akok or Carlton and Whaley as our main two bigs. And with Whaley's recent performances along with off season development then Akok or Carlton would lose the starting spot. It appears Hurley favors smaller lineups or Polley at the 3.

So I was looking at 3 starting bigs fighting for 2 spots.

Akok's injured though, I'm not sure he'll even be ready to start next season. He'll be coming off the bench until he is ready to play major minutes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Spot on. The defensive lapses against Temple were glaring. With Akok we win that game handily as he puts a stop to all those easy baskets they got at the rim. I think it's easy for us to forget that when he gets 2-3 blocks in the first ten minutes and none the rest of the game, it is because they have stopped challenging him. He's impacting the game just by being there. Fitting that his last play of the season was a big block in the opening seconds of the game.

Really going to be interesting to see him come back and perhaps have elevated his offensive game.
Don't know if UConn beats Temple handily with Akok
PC gave the team 18/14 - even in his best of best I don't see Akok getting those results - he isn't aggressive enough on the offensive end to get those pts and offensive boards. The Temple guards were chewing up Bouk, Gaff and Adams - PC is fairly aggressive - had 2 blocks -
DH would have had Akok probably on Rose or Scott due to Temples 3/4 guard lineup and Akok would have been in foul trouble and not allowed to cheat underneath and slide because he would be tied to his quicker assignment JMO

Reaction Score
More parts will be showing up at Storrs so while we will miss Akok no doubt it's still up in the air as to how much. Will be interesting to see what happens. Certainly can't wait till we see him on the court again hoping the time off will mature areas he needs to but most importantly be sure of when to get back on the court.

Reaction Score
That used to be true, when the NIT was sponsored by the MIBA, a group of NYC schools. That was certainly true in 1997, when UConn got in with a 14-14 record and went to the semi-finals. But since the NCAA took over in 2005, things have changed. The NCAA has explicitly stated that performance, not drawing potential, is primary. For example, regular season conference champions who do not make the NCAA tourney, now get preference over all others. Further, the selection committee is no longer a group of NYC metropolitan-area coaches and ADs. Nor does ESPN any longer have any say in the matter. It is a national committee which happens, at present, to be very Mid-Western and very lightly representative of the Northeast. Bottom-line, the NIT is not operated today as a fund-raiser for Northeast schools or a commercial-draw for ESPN. The NCAA views it as a national consolation tourney for worthy teams that don't quite make it to the NCAAs. Net-net, UConn needs to win some games.
We are in w 18 wins. Bouk it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom