Playing not to lose.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Playing not to lose....

Reaction Score
Actually, the quote was "...He seems to have the personality of a mortician"

Anyone who's been paying any attention at all to Spanos since he's been interim head coach should have noted that he actually DOES NOT have the personality of a mortician. That take in that article didn't age too well...

He's ultra-high-energy, his players seem to feed off that energy. He's a pretty fun listen on his coach's show spots.

With that being said, note that I'm not at all advocating for him to be permanent head coach.

But, all things considered, he's been a breath of fresh air post-Edsall and the team has clearly played better with him at the helm.
In all fairness in the beginning he was adjusting to being HC and in initial interviews he was reserved. His personality is starting to come out now.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I thought so too, but not after today. Sorry, but that was just bad coaching. Keep him on maybe as the D coordinator but that's it.
NO WAY! He has got to GO GO GO! Our D has amazing athletes on the front line AND are terrible. That points to bad coaching.

Reaction Score
But, all things considered, he's been a breath of fresh air post-Edsall and the team has clearly played better with him at the helm.

No doubt, I'll give you that and somewhere between a wet blanket like Edsall and bat spit crazy like Diaco, should probably lie the truth.
Lou seems like a nice guy with a lean towards Diaco tendencies . I wouldn't see him as anywhere close to someone who needs to be out there leading Uconn going forward or as DB said “We need some charisma.......We’re going to need someone who has the want-to, to get out in the state and this community and really sell our program and get people engaged. That’s a big part of what we need right now. It’s a critical component.”

Reaction Score
Coaching, Coaching, Coaching...another example...I forget, maybe the the UT/Miss. game...On Punt coverage, the cover team guys on a obvious fair catch call, one of the cover men "circled around" the returner so as to cover in case of a muff/fumble and so was BEHIND the the returner.
Watching that muffed catch by the Yale returner, what we had was 3 UConn players all in front of the Yale return man and so...muff..., no one BEHIND the returner, and so Yale recovers surrounded by UConn players. That is Coaching...(or lack of it.)

Reaction Score
Coaching, Coaching, Coaching...another example...I forget, maybe the the UT/Miss. game...On Punt coverage, the cover team guys on a obvious fair catch call, one of the cover men "circled around" the returner so as to cover in case of a muff/fumble and so was BEHIND the the returner.
Watching that muffed catch by the Yale returner, what we had was 3 UConn players all in front of the Yale return man and so...muff..., no one BEHIND the returner, and so Yale recovers surrounded by UConn players. That is Coaching...(or lack of it.)

Not so upset about that. Getting behind the returner is not taught on coverage. And the ball bounced right back to the returner. A lucky bounce for Yale. It happens. I wouldn't call that an example of poor coaching.

Going for it in your own territory in the 4th quarter with a lead and your defense playing lights out is poor coaching.

Reaction Score
Not so upset about that. Getting behind the returner is not taught on coverage. And the ball bounced right back to the returner. A lucky bounce for Yale. It happens. I wouldn't call that an example of poor coaching.

Going for it in your own territory in the 4th quarter with a lead and your defense playing lights out is poor coaching.
Point taken sir, but still, I believe instinctive playing, coaching, a player should be "aware" that there is more than enough coverage in front of the returner, one needs in that situation to be behind the returner, just as in punt coverage where the ball is still in the air, could bounce in any direction, be bouncing toward the goal line, player goes behind the ball while still in the air on a no catch punt or...., in running out the clock, "Victory" formation there is always a back deep behind QB just in case a snap goes haywire.

Reaction Score
Screw it. I'll nuke this tread.

At what point in your head did you think you needed to go with a "he/she" to cover your bases for the next head coach?
We hired green pants. Why not awoman

Reaction Score
"Very good players". Really? Since most of the roster is made up of juniors or younger you are saying UConn has mostly very good players? Very good to me is someone who would start for a P5 program (not Alabama but at least a Fruit or BCU), not sure I seem many of those on the current team.
Relative to 4 years ago when green pants stocked the team with d 2 level players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom