Players who warrant more playing time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Players who warrant more playing time

Reaction Score
Can you cite some examples of players being run over? I’ll have to watch game again.
I don't think there were guys being run over, but whiffs, arm tackles and just plain misses a plenty... awful

Reaction Score
Tell me again how a 4-3 fixes the issues you mention.

Tell me again how all of this happened overnight. For years we complained about how the lack of an O killed our good D. Now, we are led like sheep to immediately believe the cupboard is bare on D. We were not overpowerd at the LoS last year, we did not whiff on tackles or get run over. We were good, not great, with many of the same players on the field. There's a lot of calling out of Crocker, but HCRE is a D coach and has prided himself on overseeing strong D's - to me, this is on him. If we had an average D, we could talk bowls. With what I've seen, we will be hard pressed to match last year's record.

Reaction Score
Tell me again how all of this happened overnight. For years we complained about how the lack of an O killed our good D. Now, we are led like sheep to immediately believe the cupboard is bare on D. We were not overpowerd at the LoS last year, we did not whiff on tackles or get run over. We were good, not great, with many of the same players on the field.

FWIW - We don't have 5 of the top 10 tacklers from last season playing this season (Melifonwu (#1), Walsh (#4), Williams (#6), Myers (#7), Levenberry (#10). Diggs, Joseph, Summers, Fatukasi and Carrezola returned.

Not the end all - be all but a piece.

Reaction Score
FWIW - We don't have 5 of the top 10 tacklers from last season playing this season (Melifonwu (#1), Walsh (#4), Williams (#6), Myers (#7), Levenberry (#10). Diggs, Joseph, Summers, Fatukasi and Carrezola returned.

Not the end all - be all but a piece.

Thanks. Maybe the takeaway is we have no one in the DB that can tackle. If true, that's be frightening, as they can't cover.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't think there were guys being run over, but whiffs, arm tackles and just plain misses a plenty... awful
Yeah you actually have to be in position to get run over.

Reaction Score
Edsall tweeted last week. 'If you want to talk about playing time be prepared to have an honest discussion'. Or something like that

C

Chief00

Tell me again how a 4-3 fixes the issues you mention.

Quite frankly, Randy often talks about needing more physicality. The defense needs speed and communication but it also needs guys that have a combination of size/speed/strength/toughness to deliver a hit. Sorry I just don’t see it and it’s reflected in a lack of turnovers.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Randy often talks about needing more physicality. The defense needs speed and communication but it also needs guys that have a combination of size/speed/strength/toughness to deliver a hit. Sorry I just don’t see it and it’s reflected in a lack of turnovers.
I agree.

Reaction Score
On channel 30 tonight the clip of today's press conference HCRE was completely po'd about effort at practice today. Asked how to fix it he said "Recruiting! get players in here who want to put in the effort to win." He felt the practice did not reflect a team that was embarrassed by the last butt kicking. After watching a couple Temple games they are way more physical than UCONN and another butt kicking is on the horizon.

C

Chief00

On channel 30 tonight the clip of today's press conference HCRE was completely po'd about effort at practice today. Asked how to fix it he said "Recruiting! get players in here who want to put in the effort to win." He felt the practice did not reflect a team that was embarrassed by the last butt kicking. After watching a couple Temple games they are way more physical than UCONN and another butt kicking is on the horizon.

The times I have talked to Randy, he always brings up physicality. There should be some impact when someone gets tackled. Remember Lloyd Jr against ND? The same also goes for blocking - he likes the road graders types.

Reaction Score
Lack of effort at practice may be about wanting to put in effort or not; OR it could be the players sayin' "you coaches aren't putting us guys in a position to win".
All this 3-3-5 crap is taking away from the fact all this does is substitute a big safety for a defensive tackle (oversimplification I know), it doesn't dictate where you line up. The opponent offensive lineup, their strengths, down, distance, score, etc. should dictate where UConn's 11 defenders are positioned. UConn defenders see that they are out of position and overwhelmed at point of attack per the defensive play calls and what they are told to do. So if you aren't insane why work hard to do exactly the same thing that didn't work and expect it all of a sudden to work? Branch, Butler and Sio aren't walking in the door.
These defensive guys see the delayed blitz doesn't work, zone against 3rd and short doesn't work, 3 man line without 7 in box does not stop run, 3 man rush with zone defense doesn't stop 3rd and long. Then to top it off, let's have the offense hurry up so that we insure the opponent gets as many possessions as possible.
Rule #1 if you are the talent/speed/size/depth loser in a match up is you do everything to "SHORTEN THE GAME". Rule #2 is make sure you refer to rule #1 before you do anything else.
So, hurry up to line all the time if you want to but that doesn't mean you have to hike right away; on defense if opponents are capable of mounting multi down drives on your defense you need to sell out on 3rd down and make opponent beat you deep (and I don't mean 3 man rush and loose zone, make them beat Summers on the deep sideline pass with the QB under pressure, if they can so be it).

Reaction Score

Non-responsive.

C

Chief00

Lack of effort at practice may be about wanting to put in effort or not; OR it could be the players sayin' "you coaches aren't putting us guys in a position to win".
All this 3-3-5 crap is taking away from the fact all this does is substitute a big safety for a defensive tackle (oversimplification I know), it doesn't dictate where you line up. The opponent offensive lineup, their strengths, down, distance, score, etc. should dictate where UConn's 11 defenders are positioned. UConn defenders see that they are out of position and overwhelmed at point of attack per the defensive play calls and what they are told to do. So if you aren't insane why work hard to do exactly the same thing that didn't work and expect it all of a sudden to work? Branch, Butler and Sio aren't walking in the door.
These defensive guys see the delayed blitz doesn't work, zone against 3rd and short doesn't work, 3 man line without 7 in box does not stop run, 3 man rush with zone defense doesn't stop 3rd and long. Then to top it off, let's have the offense hurry up so that we insure the opponent gets as many possessions as possible.
Rule #1 if you are the talent/speed/size/depth loser in a match up is you do everything to "SHORTEN THE GAME". Rule #2 is make sure you refer to rule #1 before you do anything else.
So, hurry up to line all the time if you want to but that doesn't mean you have to hike right away; on defense if opponents are capable of mounting multi down drives on your defense you need to sell out on 3rd down and make opponent beat you deep (and I don't mean 3 man rush and loose zone, make them beat Summers on the deep sideline pass with the QB under pressure, if they can so be it).

Great post about the defense being overwhelmed at the point of attack. I agree the scheme may be frustrating to the players but I don’t agree we should change the offense, which is functioning ok. The problem is the defense and it is due to a combination of talent, effort and scheme. I also believe Crocker is not cutting it. Chief has been early to that table.

Reaction Score
Back to the original topic. Beavers! The kid played great against SMU. He seems to be the one guy who gives us speed on the edge, yet he didn't seem to get as much of a shot against Memphis to rush the QB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom