Players who warrant more playing time | The Boneyard

Players who warrant more playing time

Reaction Score
Two players in the debacle that was last weeks game flashed to me:

Santana Sterling: I know it’s not saying much with the personnel on D but Sterlings instincts and speed really stood out to me.

Nino Leone: He did a poor job of recognizing a linebacker blitz on one play but holy cow is he impressive. Engulfs defenders, shows tremendous initial pop. Would like to see him 4 or 5 series a game.

Am I missing anyone?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Two players in the debacle that was last weeks game flashed to me:

Santana Sterling: I know it’s not saying much with the personnel on D but Sterlings instincts and speed really stood out to me.

Nino Leone: He did a poor job of recognizing a linebacker blitz on one play but holy cow is he impressive. Engulfs defenders, shows tremendous initial pop. Would like to see him 4 or 5 series a game.

Am I missing anyone?

I was only able to watch pieces of the game Friday. Tonight I hope to watch it all and I'll be looking to see if I have the same observations.

Reaction Score
Strange . . . . I have the exact same iPhone wallpaper.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Darius Butler,Robert McClain,Greg Lloyd and maybe Byron,Obi and Will Beatty amongst others get more playing time. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
I was just thinking about Hahn and Beavers and how they are future of 3-3-5. Former safeties that bulk up a little to increase speed at linebacker position.

This is exactly what's happening. I always hoped that Obi would be used that way. I thought he was a minus coverage Safety, but could have been a plus coverage LB.

I also hope we can do the same with LB's to DE. We need someone who can use a first step and some quickness to get by an O Lineman.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Only able to watch the first half tonight.

Big picture - Lashlee's offense has glitches, but overall this is by far the best offense we have seen here since the BE days. Especially when you consider the very limited ability of the Oline.

Guys who should get more playing time?
Not sure really based on the first half.

-let's not forget Skanes
-the entire squad should focus on ball security drills
-the D did play well at times during the first half. Riley Ferguson was just plain ridiculously accurate. But we need to get some interceptions if we want to get qbs to slow their roll.
-no more delayed blitzes - not effective

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I was just thinking about Hahn and Beavers and how they are future of 3-3-5. Former safeties that bulk up a little to increase speed at linebacker position.
Yet another problem with Crocker’s scheme is you have too many undersized guys trying (and maybe that’s a poor choice of words) to make tackles. I have never seen so many guys literally whiff when it comes time to tackle someone.

Reaction Score
Yet another problem with Crocker’s scheme is you have too many undersized guys trying (and maybe that’s a poor choice of words) to make tackles. I have never seen so many guys literally whiff when it comes time to tackle someone.

That might have made sense if you were talking about guys getting run over or players breaking out of tackles. You rightly point out that many of our guys are just whiffing in the open field, which has nothing to do with size and everything to do with speed and aggressiveness.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with tackling is that our player are all arm tackling up high on the shoulders. You have to hit them below the waist with your shoulders and wrap your arms around. Its just not happening.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of Hahn's play so far. Like Beavers a ton and also like Swenson and Jordan Swann has great speed. Did not see Leone or at least notice him. Who did he come in for/position?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Good thing that tackling technique has nothing to do with scheme and everything to do with skill, aggressiveness and desire.

C

Chief00

That might have made sense if you were talking about guys getting run over or players breaking out of tackles. You rightly point out that many of our guys are just whiffing in the open field, which has nothing to do with size and everything to do with speed and aggressiveness.

I am seeing all of the above, guys whiffing, arm tackles, guys getting run over and just missing guys.

C

Chief00

Good thing that tackling technique has nothing to do with scheme and everything to do with skill, aggressiveness and desire.

When you have too many small guys in your scheme you get over powered, especially when the other team is running downhill.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My dvr did not tape q4, but no one really stood out. Many players I have on the suspect list did make some plays and whiff on others.

I guess for temple:
-get a few more touches for Nate Hopkins
-try to get the ball to skanes one or two times more per game
-run a couple more plays featuring Meyers or Bloom
-as Edsall said post game - rotate more on D in general
-somehow play Marshe terry less, not sure who to replace him with.
-get Beavers in there to blitz the QB.
-maybe more reps for Sterling and less for Hahn. Have sterling blitz - see if he is any better.
-I could be wrong - but Britton seems to tire out there - sub for him more often.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
When you have too many small guys in your scheme you get over powered, especially when the other team is running downhill.

That is different than not being able to make an open field tackle. Like I said tackling is about technique not scheme. If you brought in the smallest defensive players in the NFL, I bet our defense would be better even if the scheme didn't change...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman