A Whole lot of not Players Reaction | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A Whole lot of not Players Reaction

Reaction Score
I think the best way to be good is to have all players stay. Unless Danny can pull a 5* who was waiting to see what Kentucky, Kansas Duke players are staying or going. I'm sure that is as much of a long shot as you can get. I don't even know if there are any left. I think next years team would have been good with Ollie coaching(NIT good maybe bubble watch) So I hope Danny can work some magic. That being said he has a tough job and this team isn't close to the talented teams we have had in the past. So people leaving is probably part of it. They might not be replaceable next year because of timing and commitments but Danny has to do his own thing now. Get us some players for the future!(that can shoot)

Reaction Score
Hopefully kisunas still comes here. Any similarities to Karnowski from the Zags?

Not when I saw him at the November Prep tournament at Albertus Magnus.
Karnowski was much bigger and had some offensive moves while Kisunas missed all the shots I saw him take. The size can't be helped, but in this game Kisunas didn't show he could score and although he moved his feet well he repeatedly fouled when hedging to help others on defense. The other team's players scored over him too easily, as well, and it was not encouraging, but it was only one game.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Carlton leaving is mind-boggling. He'd have a virtually guaranteed starting role playing for an up-and-coming coach and continuing to grow in an environment where he's already made significant progress. Unless he had his heart set on some place else to start with where there's now an opening, or if he really, really likes KO, there's scant material to explain this move, should it happen.

Reaction Score
Im interested to see if Eric Cobb will transfer or not. Before Ollie was canned, I was sure he was gonna transfer, maybe hell stay now that we have Hurley.
Transfer is a kind word ,invited to leave is more like it.
I don’t see him being a Hurley type either but if Carlton leaves he might be forced to keep him..

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think that rule was suspended when 37 kids transferred out. Kind of like Boneyard Martial Law.

Plus, it's a unique situation when you don't have a coach. I mean, that's a huge thing. Not like it happens every day.

Reaction Score
To be completely honest, I don't think Ollie was really all that good at anything as a head coach and the sheer number of disappointments, transfer exits, inability to develop, lack of motivation in recruiting... it was all over the roster.

Ollie - to me - always seemed to coach in a way that it never really felt like he ever had any clue what he had in any given player, ever. Watching guys like DO get playing time over kids like Diarra. Gibbs moonlighting as a point guard. I mean heck - we didn't even *have a real point guard on the roster* for a whole year at a program that's calling card is guards. The lack of development in almost everyone up front... I can't really think of any of our guys that we've had in the paint the past few years that could have been truly meaningful, impact players on our seriously good teams in the past. I honestly can't think of a player he recruited and developed all the way through that I watched and said 'wow - that was absolutely as advertised' because it was always disappointing. Or at least seriously flawed.

It felt like his 'positionless basketball' thing was cribbed off of a bunch of GM interviews he'd heard in the past... because none of the players he had on the team sans Hamilton and maybe Larrier (MAYBE Purvis a bit?) were at all capable or even close to being that kind of player. I mean it was just a mess. There was no style, system, nothing. It didn't even feel like plays were being run. It was just a total trainwreck - no vision, no real rhyme or reason for why he was going after certain guys, no real grasp of the talent he had at his disposal or any clue how to use it... He certainly wasn't any good as a teacher.

And because of that - the transfer thing was always a thing. But again - and yes, I get it - it's a different time - but transfers are *still* transfers for a reason. There's always a story, always a soft point - and for some kids, it totally works for for the programs, it's always a monster risk. By in large, you can't build a whole team around transfers and stop gaps. Can't today, couldn't yesterday and won't ever be able to. And all of Ollie's problems begin at recruiting, recognizing talent, having a vision, a system and the motivation to get the players to see that through.

That's why i'm 1,000% convinced people are going to be objectively shocked when they see how much better Hurley does with Kevin's older players than Kevin did.

Reaction Score
Ag
Vital was second on the team in ppg and I believe he led the team in rebounds and steals. So no he’s not a one dimensional player. I’m not always fond of his shot selection but on a better team Vital will be a better player. I can’t wait to watch him the next two years.
Agree. I hope he is getting strong consideration for a captain role this year as well. His shots are about the only thing I absolutely hate but sometimes I saw them like hitting your tv to get it to turn on.

Reaction Score
To be completely honest, I don't think Ollie was really all that good at anything as a head coach and the sheer number of disappointments, transfer exits, inability to develop, lack of motivation in recruiting... it was all over the roster.

Ollie - to me - always seemed to coach in a way that it never really felt like he ever had any clue what he had in any given player, ever. Watching guys like DO get playing time over kids like Diarra. Gibbs moonlighting as a point guard. I mean heck - we didn't even *have a real point guard on the roster* for a whole year at a program that's calling card is guards. The lack of development in almost everyone up front... I can't really think of any of our guys that we've had in the paint the past few years that could have been truly meaningful, impact players on our seriously good teams in the past. I honestly can't think of a player he recruited and developed all the way through that I watched and said 'wow - that was absolutely as advertised' because it was always disappointing. Or at least seriously flawed.

It felt like his 'positionless basketball' thing was cribbed off of a bunch of GM interviews he'd heard in the past... because none of the players he had on the team sans Hamilton and maybe Larrier (MAYBE Purvis a bit?) were at all capable or even close to being that kind of player. I mean it was just a mess. There was no style, system, nothing. It didn't even feel like plays were being run. It was just a total trainwreck - no vision, no real rhyme or reason for why he was going after certain guys, no real grasp of the talent he had at his disposal or any clue how to use it... He certainly wasn't any good as a teacher.

And because of that - the transfer thing was always a thing. But again - and yes, I get it - it's a different time - but transfers are *still* transfers for a reason. There's always a story, always a soft point - and for some kids, it totally works for for the programs, it's always a monster risk. By in large, you can't build a whole team around transfers and stop gaps. Can't today, couldn't yesterday and won't ever be able to. And all of Ollie's problems begin at recruiting, recognizing talent, having a vision, a system and the motivation to get the players to see that through.

That's why i'm 1,000% convinced people are going to be objectively shocked when they see how much better Hurley does with Kevin's older players than Kevin did.

Great summary and many good points Towney! ;)

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Carlton leaving is mind-boggling. He'd have a virtually guaranteed starting role playing for an up-and-coming coach and continuing to grow in an environment where he's already made significant progress. Unless he had his heart set on some place else to start with where there's now an opening, or if he really, really likes KO, there's scant material to explain this move, should it happen.
I really, really hope he stays because I think he has the most potential of any big that's been here in a while, but if there's any truth to the rumors, it's possible he just doesn't like being here. It happens.

Reaction Score
Wow talk about high and immediate expectations. LOL.

Perhaps, we should give him time to see the gym first and perhaps working on keeping some of the ones he's inheriting. Anyway I expect better results than his predecessor. He's got to work on his UConn pitch until then.
I think that some of this past seasons freshmen could be valuable players with good coaching and good strength and conditioning work. Assuming most stay we have a shot at being pretty good next season, definitely better than what we have seen the last couple of years

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but Hurley should want to keep Carlton, Whaley and Polley, last year’s true freshmen. Carlton has great length, good defensive timing, and can be a very good big man with proper coaching and S&C. Whaley is raw but very bouncy, long and active, especially on the offensive glass. Polley is the best remaining shooter from last year’s squad, and even last year had better handle, shot, and BB IQ than Larrier.

Reaction Score
Love the title and what cane after

6 pages of reactions from guys who couldn’t sniff an NCAA court. Thanks playas

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Love the title and what cane after

6 pages of reactions from guys who couldn’t sniff an NCAA court. Thanks playas

depends on what level you're talking about. lol

Reaction Score
We shouldn’t have vital penciled in as a starter. Should be looking for talent. Grad transfer Juco Frosh recruits whatever it is.

I'm hoping for open competition...if AG is truly healthy, i think there will be good competition in the backcourt
Front court is wide open...
It's a new coach and the team disappointed the past two years, there should be accountability and no guarantees

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom