A Whole lot of not Players Reaction | Page 7 | The Boneyard

A Whole lot of not Players Reaction

Reaction Score
I don't profess to know if Akinjo's talent merits this but Hurley's first thing should be a call and if interest is then a flight out to see him right away. Hurley's intensity as a point guard is the equal of KO's, there should be a connection.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't profess to know if Akinjo's talent merits this but Hurley's first thing should be a call and if interest is then a flight out to see him right away. Hurley's intensity as a point guard is the equal of KO's, there should be a connection.
Nope. First thing is talking to the kids who are here. Then reach out to Akinjo.

Reaction Score
Love the title and what cane after

6 pages of reactions from guys who couldn’t sniff an NCAA court. Thanks playas
Whoa don't sugar cane it for us, we have to be D1 players to have opinions.

In the past we 'only' needed to pass the diehard not bandwagon fan d-measuring contest, under Hurley this is getting real.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Only here does a thread about players reactions to the DH news devolve into a comparison of Vital/TR/RA and how Kisunas compares to a kid playing for Gonzaga.

You can’t make it up.
Tweet by player's relative goes in. Discussions about Christian Vital and grad transfers come out. You can't explain that.

Reaction Score
Yup. And for every Lasan Kromah, you get 10 Antwoine Andersons.

KO actually had pretty good luck with grad transfers when used properly (e.g. not pushing a young core out of the program):

RJ Evans - Holy Cross (not great, but ban year so not KO's fault)
Lasan Kromah - George Washington (good, provided great minutes in title run)
Sterling Gibbs - Seton Hall (good, but incorrectly used by KO as PG resulting in decreases in stats across the board)
Shonn Miller - Cornell (great, was so good at UConn and underutilized by KO)
Antwoine Anderson - Fordham (had his moments but overall struggled at UConn)
David Onuorah - Cornell (very bad and over-utilized by KO)

So excluding Evans since it was the ban year, that's 3 of 5 players that were very talented and had relatively effective seasons at UConn.

That being said, KO went to this well way too much to compensate for lack of player development. Ideally Kentan Facey would be what Shonn Miller ended up becoming in 2015-16 (not the year after), Sam Cassell Jr. becomes what Gibbs was instead of going to Iona and effectively putting up Gibbs numbers there, Makai Ashton Langford would be here instead of Antwoine Anderson, and Enoch/Durham here instead of Onuorah.

Not to rehash KO's failures but that's a pretty bad track record on player development/retention.

Reaction Score
I was talking grad transfers in general, not just those who come to UCONN. How many grad transfers have played a integral role in a team's post-season success? Not many. Most aren't Kromah. Most are Andersons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d like to see this claim substantiated somehow.
Cards2Kids-Charity-Youth-Enjoying-Trading-Cards-Upper-Deck.jpg

"I got all these Antwoine Andersons for just 1 Lasan Kromah!"

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I was talking grad transfers in general, not just those who come to UCONN. How many grad transfers have played a integral role in a team's post-season success? Not many. Most aren't Kromah. Most are Andersons.

Canyon Barry last year helped Florida get to the E8.

Cam Johnson helped UNC get a 2 seed.

Sure most of them are more role players, because stars usually aren't 5th year seniors.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
KO actually had pretty good luck with grad transfers when used properly (e.g. not pushing a young core out of the program):

RJ Evans - Holy Cross (not great, but ban year so not KO's fault)
Lasan Kromah - George Washington (good, provided great minutes in title run)
Sterling Gibbs - Seton Hall (good, but incorrectly used by KO as PG resulting in decreases in stats across the board)
Shonn Miller - Cornell (great, was so good at UConn and underutilized by KO)
Antwoine Anderson - Fordham (had his moments but overall struggled at UConn)
David Onuorah - Cornell (very bad and over-utilized by KO)

So excluding Evans since it was the ban year, that's 3 of 5 players that were very talented and had relatively effective seasons at UConn.

That being said, KO went to this well way too much to compensate for lack of player development. Ideally Kentan Facey would be what Shonn Miller ended up becoming in 2015-16 (not the year after), Sam Cassell Jr. becomes what Gibbs was instead of going to Iona and effectively putting up Gibbs numbers there, Makai Ashton Langford would be here instead of Antwoine Anderson, and Enoch/Durham here instead of Onuorah.

Not to rehash KO's failures but that's a pretty bad track record on player development/retention.

Gibbs wanted to be the PG and KO obligated - Gibbs quoted numerous time how he wanted the ball to be in his hands and didn't want to play off the ball.
Miller was under utilized ?? in what way - minutes? NO position? NO Do you think he should have touched the ball more? If that's it you only have to look at Miller on the offensive end, away from the play, to understand why he didn't get the ball more - the kid didn't move enough to get to a space to receive the ball. Glen Miller and others were constantly yelling at him to move, and when he did, he became effective. They wanted him to move to the top of the key and be an outlet or take his man one on one to the hoop. Too often he was a statue on offense. Was he a talent? hell yeah- had an upside and did have some really big games but could have been much more with more of an effort on his part offensively. He was a great pick-up.
The Sam Cassell Jr remarks are crazy. If KO did him that badly his father would have been all over it - instead to this day he praises KO up and down. It was KO that suggested SCJ go to where he could get more PT. Iona was a great fit for him as Fordham was for AA Don't forget - SCJ was injured a great deal - but then that's KO's doing?
DO - I agree with you as very bad
Facey - it was in his heart as it was in AB's - neither worked on their game on their own - Facey finally did during the summer after his junior year (on the court and in the weight room). Before that he received the playing time based on his practice and training results.
Enoch/Durham - all well documented - Enoch was a problem child in practice and on the bench - Durham - KO went way overboard for this kid. Case closed.

You comment on how KO screwed up on every one of these grad kids but follow-up with: So excluding Evans since it was the ban year, that's 3 of 5 players that were very talented and had relatively effective seasons at UConn.

KO had his issues with recruitment - he completely screwed up that area and it hurt him and the program badly - he is paying the price. I also think that he had a vision for what he wanted to see on the floor and how it would work but didn't have those pieces he needed - that's on him. The grad student bucket is not an area that he was poor. His last year was not good because he panicked and landed DO. Many coaches and programs have done worse in that area

Not to rehash KO's failures - yeah good idea - let's move on.

Reaction Score
Canyon Barry last year helped Florida get to the E8.

Cam Johnson helped UNC get a 2 seed.

Sure most of them are more role players, because stars usually aren't 5th year seniors.

Right. My original point (apparently not all that clear) was that I don't think any coach should rely on 5th years for key minutes (like Ollie often did). This is my last comment on the subject. Time to watch the presser.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We shouldn’t have vital penciled in as a starter. Should be looking for talent. Grad transfer Juco Frosh recruits whatever it is.

That's where I'm at with him too.

And hope to god Gilbert is health because if so, pencil him in. Vital's jack of all trades, master of none skill set works great as a 6th man as well.

Vital might be less likely to jack at every opportunity if he's got playing time predicated on him playing within himself.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Whoa don't sugar cane it for us, we have to be D1 players to have opinions.

In the past we 'only' needed to pass the diehard not bandwagon fan d-measuring contest, under Hurley this -ing is getting real.

He didn't say D1. You don't have to be a Miami Cane. You could be a D3 guy. Just no JUCOs or NAIA guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not if you recruit them well. Every year there's a few key grad transfers on the market. If you grab one, then great.

It's a good stop gap if you need to plug a hole. Just shouldn't be relied on year in year out as a modus operandi.

Reaction Score
Yet is a 4 year player that scored 30 as a SOPHOMORE more than once. Please... he’d get attention from most schools
I like Vital. I think he can be a very good player for us. Ollie proved he simply couldnt develop guys or coach well enough to put his guys in the best position to win. I think DH can and will do both. I think Vital will be one of the guys that benefits most from this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom