Player Conditioning | The Boneyard

Player Conditioning

Reaction Score
Now that the season is almost over - interested in what the board has to say about the slew of injuries we had this season at key positions. The high rate of injuries we has so early in the season was a bit shocking. Yes, all teams have injuries.- fact of life - no argument here. But the starting QB, 2 running backs, top receiver, all in first few games, gone for season? Say what?

I don‘t know if they can make improvements with conditioning during off season and or maybe it’s scheduling these games against teams like Michigan so early that needs to be addressed? But something needs to be looked at IMO on what kinds of things they are doing in the off season to get players ready or pre-game.

I am already looking forward to next year but reflecting a bit on what could have been this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about conditioning. Over the course of the season there were very few. The rash all at once in preseason was unfortunate. It happens.

Which does lend itself to a valid question of the over the summer conditioning program leading up to preseason practices.

Reaction Score
Knees and collarbones and broken feet have nothing to do with conditioning. Muscle injuries — calves and Jammie’s — have something to do with conditioning.

Injuries just happen in football. All you can do about what happened to us at the beginning of the season is develop adequate depth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Knees and collarbones and broken feet have nothing to do with conditioning. Muscle injuries — calves and Jammie’s — have something to do with conditioning.

Injuries just happen in football. All you can do about what happened to us at the beginning of the season is develop adequate depth.
Jammies?

Were the injuries sleep walking related?

Reaction Score

Plus what happened to us in the 2nd half vs. Ball St. and Army.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is almost over - interested in what the board has to say about the slew of injuries we had this season at key positions. The high rate of injuries we has so early in the season was a bit shocking. Yes, all teams have injuries.- fact of life - no argument here. But the starting QB, 2 running backs, top receiver, all in first few games, gone for season? Say what?

I don‘t know if they can make improvements with conditioning during off season and or maybe it’s scheduling these games against teams like Michigan so early that needs to be addressed? But something needs to be looked at IMO on what kinds of things they are doing in the off season to get players ready or pre-game.

I am already looking forward to next year but reflecting a bit on what could have been this season.

We cramp up quite a bit. That’s something that needs to be corrected.

The other ligament, soft tissue and bone stuff is just football.

Reaction Score
So we were poorly conditioned on the road, where we faded in second halves, but wonderfully conditioned at home where we kept getting it done in second halves? Interesting theory. Maybe it has more to do with not being good enough yet to win on the road?
Not yet fully mentally conditioned for on the road adversity is more likely.

Reaction Score
So we were poorly conditioned on the road, where we faded in second halves, but wonderfully conditioned at home where we kept getting it done in second halves? Interesting theory. Maybe it has more to do with not being good enough yet to win on the road?
Mental mistakes (offsides, illegal motion, even blocking in the back) are often a function of exhaustion. We had pretty consistent breakdowns in the fourth quarter, both at home and away. Some of them we got away with, some of them lost us games. We were good enough, skillwise, to beat Army. But they kicked our butts in the second half.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Travis

Reaction Score
In my opinion this whole tread is ridiculous. Like any of us would know the slightest about conditioning compared to Mora.
For some of us who played HS or college years ago, the coaches may have focused more on conditioning because they didn’t have a lot of Xs and Os to teach. So the the practice was filled with pushing sleds, running sprints and stairs. In todays game the drills are designed to teach technique and condition.

Reaction Score
Mental mistakes (offsides, illegal motion, even blocking in the back) are often a function of exhaustion. We had pretty consistent breakdowns in the fourth quarter, both at home and away. Some of them we got away with, some of them lost us games. We were good enough, skillwise, to beat Army. But they kicked our butts in the second half.
We had most of our mental mistakes in the first half Vs Army. Multiple false starts, etc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The one's who remained after the early season onslaught of injuries took a pounding and came through pretty well up and down the roster so I'd say conditioning was pretty good from that perspective.

We did seem to lose steam at the end of a few games, but it's to small a sample to draw any conclusions.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If the defense wore down, it was because the offense had too many 3 and outs. If you noticed our player rotation, we rotate 3 and sometimes 4 DT, we do rotate our ends, the LBs never come off(Mitchell and Swenson) and we kept the same 4 DB's in or add in Shearin when Boyer Randall came out. That is a lot of plays.

Offensively, the line stayed the same down the stretch. The rotation came at all the skill positions except QB which was only on designed plays. The question is how many starters played on special teams.

Bottom line, the team held up remarkably well health wise during the season and at home in the 4th quarter. The second half lapses were mostly mental and on the road, which is part of the process of learning how to win. For a team that won what 6 games since 2017, this was a quantum leap but the gulf was so large that it will take another year or so to be consistent game to game.

Reaction Score
Not to sound like Crazy Bob but all the cramping is more likely dehydration and or lack of electrolytes. College anthleted are kids and most need to be hounded about drinking and eating correctly. They tend to love junk food and sugar like other young people. One of the reasons Gatorade works is most kids will drink it more willingly than water.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I attribute it to giving maximum effort. Maybe that's what was needed to win these games because we are not truly wherewe want to be talent wise, so I applaud them for it.

In fact, I don't recall anyone complaining about players dogging it or otherwise giving up. Another testament to this group and this staff. No excuses just go do it.

Reaction Score
In my opinion this whole tread is ridiculous. Like any of us would know the slightest about conditioning compared to Mora.
For some of us who played HS or college years ago, the coaches may have focused more on conditioning because they didn’t have a lot of Xs and Os to teach. So the the practice was filled with pushing sleds, running sprints and stairs. In todays game the drills are designed to teach technique and condition.

If you believe in what you wrote, I suppose they should just trash player conditioning all together?

Reaction Score
If you believe in what you wrote, I suppose they should just trash player conditioning all together?

Sorry. As a matter of Carollian logic, one can not fairly conclude that he is implying anything near what you allege he is implying. Which, of course, would lead a logical person to conclude that you are trolling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suppose my point is, I trust Mora to figure out how his team is conditioned and not an old guy like myself who might have a different frame of reference.

Reaction Score
“Conditioning” is discussed ad nauseam for every college and NFL team. I can remember folks being enamored circa 2007 when UConn did an article about Jerry Martin using strongman training with the players.

It is fair to constantly evaluate and improve all aspects of the program. IMO, the most criminal of all injuries was to McFadden, a few days before camp started. Tearing an ACL? The only other kicker I can think of doing that is Gramatica, while celebrating. I don’t know of any acl tears in the act of kicking. I don’t know for sure, but it seems McFadden tore his ACL participating in team “conditioning.” I’m picturing cones and players running around the field. The kicker should absolutely not be doing this. Look at the risk reward. Is there any reward? No. Risk? Clearly yes. Losing games because your kicker is hurt. UConn is lucky to have a good backup in Noe but this could have turned out far worse if there was no competent backup.

As for soft tissue injuries and ligaments, someone said those are uncontrollable. They are very complex but can certainly be mitigated. If you stress any ligament or muscle repeatedly at maximal intensity, you are increasing injury risk. That’s why sprinters don’t sprint maximally everyday or lifters don’t bench press maximally everyday. Doing so would unnecessarily increase the risk of the injury.

Overall I thought the players looked adequately physically prepared all season.

Reaction Score
I think five of the illegal motion penalties were in the first half of the Army game so exhaustion shouldn't have been the reason in that game.

Most concerning is what you find when you look at penalties per game the first five games versus the last seven. Were we, perhaps, worn out and losing focus due to lack of depth as the season wore on?

We averaged 4+ per game the first five games and 8+ per game in the last seven in spite of the fact our three toughest games were in the first five.
Three of our easiest opponents (Ball St, BCU and Army) drew the most penalties, and UMass and CCSU drew 8 per game.

Opponent Penalties/Yards penalized
Utah St 4/35
CCSU 8/55
Syracuse 3/21
Michigan 5/45
NC St 2/23
Fresno St 8/68
FIU 5/43
Ball St 12/110 (versus Ball St 2/25)
BCU 10/60 (versus BCU 2/30)
UMass 8/60
Liberty 6/67
Army 11/78 (versus Army 4/25)

Reaction Score
We cramp up quite a bit. That’s something that needs to be corrected.
Interesting observation, I do not recall many players cramping up at all this year if any limping off the field due to cramps.
Basically hydration and stretching.
Mental mistakes (offsides, illegal motion, even blocking in the back) are often a function of exhaustion.
All due respect to all on the forum. I was at the Army game and I doubt exhaustion had much to do with at least four of the illegal motion calls very early in the game. It was not physical conditioning or exhaustion causing the problem. Army's defensive line looked to be getting a good jump thus some UConn O linemen getting beat off the snap. This in return causes said beat lineman to jump early on the next snap. As big and physical as linemen are it is still a very cerebral game. Timing and execution just as much as any other position.
I have a strong belief if Jim Mora has a problem with the S&C coach he will handle it as well as he did the DC coaching position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom