Play-in game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Play-in game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't like this scenario. Cincinnati is a tough team than us, physically and mentally. Usually for UCONN, a first round conference tourney game has been an easy game. Not so this time. I don't have a good feeling about this. The AAC title game last year was at home and a 'play-in game' and I left that game in full depression. I fear this happening again but we put ourselves in this situation and if we can't beat Cinci at home, away or now at a neutral site, we don't deserve to go to the NCAA tourney and should refuse am NIT bid.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
last year
Every year where we're on the bubble. 2001, 2010, 2012 were all huge first round games.
2011 versus Depaul. We were on a serious bad streak in the BE tourney and that game got our mojo back and propelled us to 11 straight.

But that's all in hindsight. Going into the game this one is pretty damn important.

I meant for both teams, just the overall impact of the game. Both teams desperately need to win.

Reaction Score
Cincy scares the hell out of me. In a game like this I could see them just crushing us. However, we've beaten them in the tourney 2 straight years. Maybe that means they want revenge. But we should want revenge for these 2 games this year. SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE

Reaction Score
2011 BE

DePaul game started the epic tourney runs, but going in we were still 21-9 and ranked 21st in the AP. Already a NCAA tourney team (I think).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Cincy scares the hell out of me. In a game like this I could see them just crushing us. However, we've beaten them in the tourney 2 straight years. Maybe that means they want revenge. But we should want revenge for these 2 games this year. SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE
I believe we are 4-0 in the postseason vs. Cincinnati in history.
'95 NCAA, '11 NCAA, '14 AAC, '15 AAC.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
2011 BE
DePaul game started the epic tourney runs, but going in we were still 21-9 and ranked 21st in the AP. Already a NCAA tourney team (I think).
Again, I meant in terms of importance of the game in general, for both teams.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati beating SMU was big today. They've been prone to mental lapses and lack of focus this year more than most Cronin teams, and now that they have some separation from the bubble they might not be out for blood as much. Either way I think the game will be played within a 5 point margin for most of it.

Reaction Score
If we're one of the last 2 in, you can bet that some teams are going to steal bids in their tourneys, so being one of the last 2 in at this point is really like being outside.

Sadly might need to win outright in order to avoid being bumped off by bid stealing.

Reaction Score
I was stoked when we fell to the 9 spot. Knew we'd crush DePaul for another W and at that point we hadn't won BET game in like 6 or 7 years needed to get the monkey off our back.

Reaction Score
I think he's probably wrong. Win vs Cincy - IN

Do you or anyone else really think that if today were selection Sunday this team would be in the field right now? I don't, and I don't think 1 win over Cincy is going to do much to move the needle, and even if you want to say that it does, we're still one of the last 4-5 teams in the field. Between other bubble teams in the B1G and ACC having the chance for some impressive wins and some bid stealing, it's going to take more than beating Cincy to stay in IMO.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Do you or anyone else really think that if today were selection Sunday this team would be in the field right now? I don't, and I don't think 1 win over Cincy is going to do much to move the needle, and even if you want to say that it does, we're still one of the last 4-5 teams in the field. Between other bubble teams in the B1G and ACC having the chance for some impressive wins and some bid stealing, it's going to take more than beating Cincy to stay in IMO.
Yes. Me and virtually every single entity that does bracket prognostications.

Reaction Score
Yes. Me and virtually every single entity that does bracket prognostications.

Oh you mean the same guys that get paid to be wrong on 3-6 bubble progs each year when there's really only about 10 spots ever in question? You have fun with that.

Reaction Score
Oh you mean the same guys that get paid to be wrong on 3-6 bubble progs each year when there's really only about 10 spots ever in question? You have fun with that.

At most they're wrong on 2, and they're rarely wrong on more than 1.

Reaction Score
Say we're in the first 4. We win a play-in game and we get to play a 7 seed possibly in Providence 50 miles from our campus? Sign me up

Reaction Score
The scenario is pretty simple:
Lose to Cincy=we're out
Beat Cincy, lose in semifinal=we're out
Get to final and lose=first four
Win=we're in

I like the fourth option.
Not sure we have to win two to be in but if we don't beat Cincy it is all a mute point. The bubble is very weak this year so we can probably still get in with just a Cincy win. Either way beat Cincy and then figure out were we stand in the Tourney pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom