Plausible Hires | The Boneyard

Plausible Hires

Reaction Score
In light of some of the coaching threads getting thrown around - Paul Johnson and Terry Bowden gave me a laugh - along with Butch Jones taking the Arkansas State job, I thought we could consider a few plausible yet very solid replacements. The three I’ve keyed in on are 1) Doc Holliday, bit of a reach and would likely be a hard sell to get to leave his home state, but could be looking at a significant pay increase here from his current $755,000; 2) Lance Leipold (s/o @Drew ), who has put together 3 consecutive competitive seasons at Buffalo and, again, would have an opportunity to cash in in a major way since he’s only at $465,000 annual right now; 3) Mike Denbrock from Cincy (OC). 56 and has never had a head coaching opp before but has had a positive impact everywhere he’s been, particularly with developing O-lines and tight ends. Again, not to be overlooked that he could be looking at a pay bump with us.

I’m all in for the longer shot hires like the Malzahns and Freezes of the world, however I wanted to narrow down coaches who could and likely would be open to this job should it become available, hopefully sooner rather than later. All three have put together or contributed to competitive, functional programs and I’m confident they’d do the same here. Wanted to make a separate thread from the others to focus on the above individuals but open to similar suggestions of course as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jason Candle - HC at Toledo

Jim Zebrowski - OC/QB coach at Buffalo (was at Minnesota same time as Benedict)

Pete Rossomando - OL at Vandy, formerly of CCSU and New Haven

Reaction Score
Is Randy really leaving?
Ball’s in our court on that front. Buyout is $0 and there is no reason to go another offseason without change. We’ve hit Randy’s ceiling here, which ended up being the floor

Reaction Score
UConn would never try to hire Freeze.
The idea with a Freeze, or any of the above, is we have nothing to lose. Certainly Freeze would be a long shot to accept but we need to make offers to real potential program builders and see what bites we get. You’d be surprised at the interest level this job could have with a worthwile salary. We’re not going to land an Urban but I have no doubt that we can bring in a competent, charismatic coach to start rebuilding here. There is nothing about Arkansas State that is inherently sexier than UConn, yet here they are bringing in Butch Jones and Major Applewhite. Just need to put the effort in and show the money

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are the donors holding Benedict hostage with their loyalty to Randy? That is the only explanation. We can pay a young coach with upside they same that we are paying Randy. Randy is arrogant beyond belief, refuses to learn and adjust, and even if he gets it going has no upside.

I used to think of him and Schiano in similar veins, but Schiano is showing he’s willing to change with the hiring of the Oklahoma state OC and they are really showing improvement already in year one.
Lashlee was forced on Randy and he made he guy miserable in under and year and switched right back to plain vanilla. He also drove Joe Moorehead out of town in 1.0. The guy is a cancer to creativity.

(edit - did not drive Moorehead out of town just castrated his play calling.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon... Joe Moorhead left for Fordham after Pasqualoni demoted him from OC to QB Coach and replaced him w/ George DeLeone.

You’re right I didn’t stop to verify while rage posting. He still castrated his play calling while he was here.

Reaction Score
not to change the subject but what the helk happened to Temple football after their last hire? ugh. I bet the recruiting or development fell once Rhule left.

Reaction Score
Since Randy isn't going anywhere.

How about Santa Claus as the new coach.

Reaction Score
Since Randy isn't going anywhere.

How about Santa Claus as the new coach.
Alarming that the boosters apparently mirror this apathetic sentiment. The program on the whole is rotting inside out because of it

Reaction Score
You’re right I didn’t stop to verify while rage posting. He still castrated his play calling while he was here.
He drove Lashlee out of town, and stuck with Crocker turning us into a laughing stock. Randy is intractable. Wrong guy for the job in every way, except salary.

Reaction Score
He drove Lashlee out of town, and stuck with Crocker turning us into a laughing stock. Randy is intractable. Wrong guy for the job in every way, except salary.
Either way, best to save all this for the 2022 season.

Reaction Score
Lashlee didn't want to be here. That had nothing to do with Edsall and everything to do with his family not like living up here. Crocker had the best defense in the FCS at JMU the year before coming to UConn. Problem with Crocker's defense was that everyone on the defense was recruited for a 3-4 and not a 3-3-5. We didn't have the players to make it work here. If the defense showed any form of success Crocker would still be here. Full disclosure, I think Spanos is the perfect man for the job. I think he'll have us taking a big leap next year defensively.

Reaction Score
Lashlee didn't want to be here. That had nothing to do with Edsall and everything to do with his family not like living up here. Crocker had the best defense in the FCS at JMU the year before coming to UConn. Problem with Crocker's defense was that everyone on the defense was recruited for a 3-4 and not a 3-3-5. We didn't have the players to make it work here. If the defense showed any form of success Crocker would still be here. Full disclosure, I think Spanos is the perfect man for the job. I think he'll have us taking a big leap next year defensively.
I hope Spanos has "IT".

Reaction Score
The idea with a Freeze, or any of the above, is we have nothing to lose. Certainly Freeze would be a long shot to accept but we need to make offers to real potential program builders and see what bites we get. You’d be surprised at the interest level this job could have with a worthwile salary. We’re not going to land an Urban but I have no doubt that we can bring in a competent, charismatic coach to start rebuilding here. There is nothing about Arkansas State that is inherently sexier than UConn, yet here they are bringing in Butch Jones and Major Applewhite. Just need to put the effort in and show the money
Skies I like your list of up and comers but I think Freeze's behavior while at Ole Miss would exclude him from any consideration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom