"Plan B" ? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

"Plan B" ?

"If the UConn is jilted by the Big 12, should they leave the AAC, rejoin the Big East?

• yes

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • no

Votes: 110 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
so how do you feel about UConns supposed fanbase?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
so how do you feel about UConns supposed fanbase?

It is concentrated in the Northeast corridor and has massive growth potential given TV partnerships with SNY (which broadcasts to the 8.04 million people in NYC alone plus the additional, what, 15 million people in CT, Long Island, Hudson Valley, North Jersey, and Palm Beach County, FL) and the potential for a possible Big 12 network to be placed on the basic cable packages of potentially, at least, 6-8 million people in the CT, Western Mass and Southeast New York regions.

UConn dominates a very populous region. We also have over three times the amount of living alumni that Boise has. And our alumni are living in a very diverse group of places from the regional hubs like Boston and New York to a somewhat sizable community in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas out west. The fan base, for football anyway, isn't currently enormous by any stretch, but UConn is in an inherently better position than a school like Boise to grow into a monster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every time I just see the word Reddit, I feel stoopider. Frickin' insane asylum. :eek:

/r/cfb is probably the best college football board ever created. If you detach any sort of fandom from it, it's really an incredible community. The quality of posts and the verified officials and players make it a very interesting place. You can't find more information in a consolidated space for the college football world. There are things I read about from articles posted to /r/cfb that I find popping up on MSM weeks later.

Reaction Score
Many of us are UConn grads. We can understand you. We are a public Ivy, you know. It's just not often someone doth giveth us fine gentlemen their musings in an olde English format like ye hath bequeathed upon thine audience.

For what it's worth, Shakespeare wrote in Early Modern English, not Old English, which is basically closer to German than it is to Modern English.

Reaction Score
You've been pushing for UConn to basically drop football to play in the Big East for awhile now. I want to see UConn in a Power Conference and the Big East is not one.

Yeah, ..... every UConn fan wants its athletics in a P5 conference, but unfortunately that may not be possible..... but the question which started this thread was, If UConn is jilted by the Big 12, should UConn leave the AAC for the Big Easy?

So ..... IF UConn is denied B12 membership, and IF it appears that P5 Conference expansion will be on hold for many years then IMO UConn should pivot towards the Big East to protect its men's and women's basketball programs. If UConn becomes stranded in the AAC (hello: ECU, Tulsa, UCF, and others) then it should seek membership in the Big East which will be a far better basketball league than the AAC without Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
Yeah, ..... every UConn fan wants its athletics in a P5 conference, but unfortunately that may not be possible..... but the question which started this thread was, If UConn is jilted by the Big 12, should UConn leave the AAC for the Big Easy?

So ..... IF UConn is denied B12 membership, and IF it appears that P5 Conference expansion will be on hold for many years then IMO UConn should pivot towards the Big East to protect its men's and women's basketball programs. If UConn becomes stranded in the AAC (hello: ECU, Tulsa, UCF, and others) then it should seek membership in the Big East which will be a far better basketball league than the AAC without Cincinnati.

NO

Reaction Score
The alternate Plan B, since I don't really see the Big East as viable or frankly desirable, is to push Temple, Memphis, UConn, Cincinatti, USF UCF and SMU or whoever is left among them to do the necessary things to return to the levels they all played at a few years ago. Or in SMUs case stay where they got to under Brown. That might require schools to replace coaches even popular ones who under perform. This league desperately needs a couple of teams to make deep runs in March--Elite 8/Final 4 type runs. And UConn needs to be the leader in that regard. We can complains all we want about the AAC but when we regularly lose 6-8 games and finish in the middle of the pack in the league it is a bit disingenuous to claim we are too good for it. Time to put up and be the lead dog again. If that means replacing the head coach with a big name guy because of another lackluster 11-7 season and 2nd round ouster in the tournament we need to do it. And Cincy needs to do the same with Cronin and Temple needs to lay down the law to Dunphy. Continued mediocrity won't be accepted.

Reaction Score
The alternate Plan B, since I don't really see the Big East as viable or frankly desirable, is to push Temple, Memphis, UConn, Cincinatti, USF UCF and SMU or whoever is left among them to do the necessary things to return to the levels they all played at a few years ago. Or in SMUs case stay where they got to under Brown. That might require schools to replace coaches even popular ones who under perform. This league desperately needs a couple of teams to make deep runs in March--Elite 8/Final 4 type runs. And UConn needs to be the leader in that regard. We can complains all we want about the AAC but when we regularly lose 6-8 games and finish in the middle of the pack in the league it is a bit disingenuous to claim we are too good for it. Time to put up and be the lead dog again. If that means replacing the head coach with a big name guy because of another lackluster 11-7 season and 2nd round ouster in the tournament we need to do it. And Cincy needs to do the same with Cronin and Temple needs to lay down the law to Dunphy. Continued mediocrity won't be accepted.

Lol this guy

Reaction Score
Lol this guy
'Cause we have been the dominant team in the American. The reality is that if UConn Memphis and Temple in particular hadn't under-performed this league wouldn't be half bad. We have lost 6,7 and 8 games in this supposedly poor league. Never finished higher than 3rd. Tell me again why we don't belong. If everyone performed up to where they should this should be a 4-6 bid league every year. Instead programs have allowed the excuse that the league is weak get under-performing coaches off the hook. Including ours.

Reaction Score
Just let them keep doing what they've been doing, that's the ticket. In 5 years UConn can be like that fighter "I used to be somebody." Or we can tell Ollie "Produce or get the heck out and we'll get somebody who will." And Temple should say it to Dunphy and Memphis should tell their guy. Look when his thing was put together it looked like a league with a pretty solid group at the top. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis all were Top 25 programs on a regular basis. Regular tournament teams. UCF and USF LOOKED To be on the doorstep of solid. Since then only Cronin has kept his team where it has always been. Ollie had a great run in 2014 no doubt but since then has been mediocre at best. Same with Dunphy. Memphis is a mess. Maybe Tubby gets it straightened out. But that is an example of what I mean.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's probably due to the strong influence of William Shakespere on my writing style.
....or perhaps Robert Frost:

Whose board this is I think I know.
I do not think he's looking though.
He will not me filled with dread.
Posting commentary in the wrong thread.

Reaction Score
Just let them keep doing what they've been doing, that's the ticket. In 5 years UConn can be like that fighter "I used to be somebody." Or we can tell Ollie "Produce or get the heck out and we'll get somebody who will." And Temple should say it to Dunphy and Memphis should tell their guy. Look when his thing was put together it looked like a league with a pretty solid group at the top. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis all were Top 25 programs on a regular basis. Regular tournament teams. UCF and USF LOOKED To be on the doorstep of solid. Since then only Cronin has kept his team where it has always been. Ollie had a great run in 2014 no doubt but since then has been mediocre at best. Same with Dunphy. Memphis is a mess. Maybe Tubby gets it straightened out. But that is an example of what I mean.

Dude there's a lot going on here that is absurd, but I'll just say that your premise that these schools are actively trying to NOT win at the moment is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read here.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that. He'll Tulane is "trying to win." UCONN BEFORE Calhoun was "trying to win." They aren't succeeding yet they all did before. Time to hold coaches feet to the fire and make changes if they don't actually win. Either do or don't do. Forget trying.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that. He'll Tulane is "trying to win." UCONN BEFORE Calhoun was "trying to win." They aren't succeeding yet they all did before. Time to hold coaches feet to the fire and make changes if they don't actually win. Either do or don't do. Forget trying.

Ok, Yoda.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What constitutes "winning" by your definition? Can we assume that this isn't it?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Just let them keep doing what they've been doing, that's the ticket. In 5 years UConn can be like that fighter "I used to be somebody." Or we can tell Ollie "Produce or get the heck out and we'll get somebody who will."
Produce a national title, a league title, NBA draft picks and a top 10 recruiting class, you mean?

Reaction Score
Look I'm not saying fire Ollie or Dunphy or any of them today. But you need to be prepared to do it. Jury is still out on whether Ollie is the next Calhoun or the next Mike Davis. If it looks like the latter after this season he needs to be seriously evaluated. And not by Jim Calhoun. As I said there are a bunch of teams that were consistently good and almost all have regressed.

FWIW I don't much care about ranking recruiting class ranks until they actually do it on this level. And we have lost 6,8,7 games in this supposed crappy league with a league title in the year the best team was suspended. National title was great but we have regressed badly since then. In a sense that was arguably Calhouns last harrah.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Look I'm not saying fire Ollie or Dunphy or any of them today. But you need to be prepared to do it. Jury is still out on whether Ollie is the next Calhoun or the next Mike Davis. If it looks like the latter after this season he needs to be seriously evaluated. And not by Jim Calhoun. As I said there are a bunch of teams that were consistently good and almost all have regressed.
I understand that arguing with you is basically the internet version of staring into an abyss of stupidity, but I can't help myself. So here goes:
  • Ollie won a national title. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie won a conference championship. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie has 4 straight 20+ win seasons. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie's recruiting classes have gotten consistently better. Davis's got worse.
Go away you miserable clownf****ng troll.

Reaction Score
I understand that arguing with you is basically the internet version of staring into an abyss of stupidity, but I can't help myself. So here goes:
  • Ollie won a national title. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie won a conference championship. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie has 4 straight 20+ win seasons. Davis didn't.
  • Ollie's recruiting classes have gotten consistently better. Davis's got worse.
Go away you miserable clownf****ng troll.
Great. Then we should be back in the top 10 in no time. Which will be great. A bunch of schools have shown you can have top teams in a mediocre league. Gonzaga does it on a regular basis. Memphis did it in CUSA, Butler did it and basically elevated the Horizon at the same time. UConn has basically said it's too hard in this league. Maybe it won't matter and we will be in the B12. I sure hope so. But if not we can't sit around and let the program move backwards because Ollie won a title in 2014. He needs to deliver in 2016-7 and beyond. If not Benidict needs to take action. Luckily he has no connection to Ollie so it will be much easier for him to do it if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom