PK80 Possibilities | The Boneyard

PK80 Possibilities

Reaction Score
FWIW, here are the Sagarin ratings for the eight teams in UConn's PK80 bracket.

No. Carolina 91.84
Mich St 89.34
Oklahoma 86.96
Oregon 86.47
Arkansas 86.15
UConn 80.55
DePaul 73.14
Portland 64.63

Sagarin gives 3 points for home court, so if everything goes to form, UConn loses by 9 to Oregon, beats DePaul by 7, loses to either Arkansas or Oklahoma by 6. The "form" says UConn comes out 1-2.

Note that if you give Oregon the homecourt points, they are as big a favorite over UConn as Mich State is.

UConn's most distinguished path to 1-2 would be to beat Oregon, lose to Mich St, then lose to either Arkansas or Oklahoma, all P5 teams.

UConn's least distinguished path to 1-2 would be to lose to Oregon, lose to DePaul, then beat Portland, playing only one P5 team.

If you assume UConn cannot beat Mich St, then their most distinguished path to 2-1 is to beat Oregon, lose to Mich St, beat either Arkansas or Oklahoma, playing three P5 teams, beating two of them.

UConn's least distinguished path to 2-1 is to lose to Oregon, beat Depaul, beat Arkansas or Oklahoma, playing two P5 teams, beating one of them.

We won't discuss 3-0 or 0-3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
solid break down!

if we lose to oregon, they've gotta come out 2-1 for me to feel like the tournament was a success. if we beat oregon, i think i'd be satisfied if they put up a fight in the next few games.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
And quickly looking at times, it seems all games will be in the evenings. The second game would either be at 9pm ET or midnight ET (ouch) ! I assume if UConn plays MSU it would be the later game.

Reaction Score
1-2 with respectable (<10pt) losses to Oregon and anyone other than Depaul/Portland would be a positive outcome. Some competitive play, not settling for terrible 3's and keep the score close against tough teams until the end.

Reaction Score
To build our NCAAT resume, it has to be either:
2-1 and at least one P5 win
OR
1-2 as long as the 1 is a signature (top 10) win [not sure how likely that is given the brackets though]

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
2-1 is ideal but 1-2 is fine as long as we don’t get killed by anyone

Reaction Score
I don't care how far the program's fallen, rooting for a "respectable" loss to an Oregon team that's not even ranked seems crazy to me. Beat Oregon and then go hard at MSU, whatever happens in that one is house money.
Especially when Oregon is not that good.

Reaction Score
One of the best things about the Calhoun era was that no loss was acceptable no matter the talent of UConn or the opponent. I was always critical of how quick Calhoun would pull guys after one mistake 20 seconds into the game because as a player, I would never want to play for someone like that. However, things like that did show that he expected excellence and no excuses. We have a player who believes he is an all american, another player who believes he's NBA player, another who calls himself a sniper, a deep backcourt, and some young talent and athleticism in the front court. With that lineup, there should be no moral victories by losing to Oregon on the road. As an outsider, I'm ok if they lose to Oregon but internally with the players and the coaches, a loss should be sickening.

Reaction Score
The possibility that concerns me most about this game is the chance that I will be passed out in my recliner before tip-off.

Chance? LOL..

Worst for me is that I need to be at Rocky's Aqua at Cedar Marina the next day at noon for a family reunion noon to 3 and I will be passed out yet again for Friday's game. :eek:

Reaction Score
You gotta rally starting at 7. Need everyone focused for the game

Yeah have to have a plan, my brother is staying over so just water, soda and such with apps dinner etc, then on to the "warm ups" for the game and a good nights sleep. Star?t with a lay up line of beers and at game time either the Captain or Ketel depending on the mood. Or both?

Thanks for the pep talk Swag you da man.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah have to have a plan, my brother is staying over so just water, soda and such with apps dinner etc, then on to the "warm ups" for the game and a good nights sleep. Star?t with a lay up line of beers and at game time either the Captain or Ketel depending on the mood. Or both?

Thanks for the pep talk Swag you da man.
Yeah, need to have the food before hand to get energy and soak up the alcohol. Then get your drinks that will get you amped but not so much that you smash the coffee table or tv. There will be moments when you want to

Reaction Score
Why create a thread called 'PK80 possibilities' and then not discuss all possibilities?

If I intended to discuss 3-0, I would have titled the OP "A PK80 Wet Dream", and if I had intended to discuss 0-3, I would not have posted it here at all but appended it to a suicide note.

Reaction Score
The possibility that concerns me most about this game is the chance that I will be passed out in my recliner before tip-off.

Catching the Cowboys game on DVR while squeezing in a piece of pie usually leads to many food-induced mini comas... Being somewhat coherent for 9pm is going to be a struggle!

Reaction Score
Oregon, OK & Arkansas may not be in the top 25 but they are all getting votes in both polls..........so although I would love to go 3-0 with wins vs MSU & NC I would consider the trip a success if we go home with 1 win vs. Oregon, OK or Arkansas.

If we go home with just a win vs. DePaul or Portland then it's disappointing and it ramps up the pressure until we get a good win....don't want to find ourselves on Dec 23 without a good win going into conf play.

I hate to say it's vital to leave PK80 with a good win but it really is.....we're not likely to win at AZ and who knows what Cuse or Auburn will be in the end and those games are no gimmes either....that leaves Nova as our only other "good" non-conf game.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Five words:

First: "2013 Maui Invitational"

Then: "We're Doomed!"

Why are you mentioning the 2013 Maui invitational? Are you a Cuse fan too? Wouldnt shock me.

1q0lRw0.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why are you mentioning the 2013 Maui invitational? Are you a Cuse fan too? Wouldnt shock me.

1q0lRw0.jpg
No. That would be your friend SDOrange.
Obviously the reference is because if 'Cuse can win a Tournament anyone can!

(Alright. I brain farted. I meant the 2010 Maui Invitational. Good catch, I fixed it above.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to beat Oregon. No excuses for Ollie, UCONN should be able to beat this years Oregon Team that doesn't have Bell, Dorsey, Boucher, or Brooks anymore.

They lost their 4 best players, we still have our 3-4 most talented players on the roster.

Very important for team psyche and team/fan confidence in UCONN still being a basketball power.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom