Pitt cuse in talks with acc? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pitt cuse in talks with acc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting that both"Cuse and Pitt have applied for membership to the ACC. What is going on?

Reaction Score
I agree ACC is better fit just was saying the ACC may not be the only option ......Me personally being from the midwest would love UConn in the Big 10 but for rivalries and everything else the ACC is where they should end up

Look, I'll take the B10. I just wish that wherever they go, Syracuse was with them. The B10 is a stable conference and they would make more money there than the ACC. The problem is that Rutgers would be the travelling partner--there's really no rivalry there. UConn beats them pretty much always. But trust me, I'd take the B10 over the current situation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Look, I'll take the B10. I just wish that wherever they go, Syracuse was with them. The B10 is a stable conference and they would make more money there than the ACC. The problem is that Rutgers would be the travelling partner--there's really no rivalry there. UConn beats them pretty much always. But trust me, I'd take the B10 over the current situation.
you'd take the big 10? i'd take anything that is one of the 4 other major conferences. big 10, acc, sec or pac whatever. the big 12 and big east are going bye bye.

Reaction Score
you'd take the big 10? i'd take anything that is one of the 4 other major conferences. big 10, acc, sec or pac whatever. the big 12 and big east are going bye bye.

I was just responding to the previous poster. B10 is best with money.

The two realistic options for getting into a BCS conference are the ACC and the B10. ACC is better for rivalries, B10 is better for money and football. As a basketball fan, I'll take the ACC--especially if Syracuse is there. Competing with Syracuse, UNC, and Duke (and Pitt it seems) would be better than Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Indiana getting back to glory would be nice, but even then, those games lack something.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not looking at WVU - WVU will go to the SEC and SEC only if they depart the BE. To some extent, the ACC is an academic elitist conference in how they perceive themselves and even if football stinks like it has, they have that laurel to rest on in validating what they do. WVU will never fit in their demands on that point.

I'm personally not sure why Duke/ACC wouldn't want Uconn - it's a wealthy state, likely a strong number of ACC alum given it's distance to NYC. It sits within two major markets. It would bring a ton on the basketball end. Despite trash talking on academic points, Uconn scores well there as well. The problem to me is football - with Edsall gone, little history, even with the BCS bowl bid last year, a stodgy new coach like Pasqualoni brings little in terms of electricity/marketability on the go forward. Uconn is still a school that can go backwards fast. It was a horrible choice - take a risk there, capitalize on momentum, at least stay in the public eye a little. When you hire a stale old coach, to me that just suggest content/bandaid.

Pitt and Cuse don't really grab much on the market front - Western PA and bumfuck upstate NY aren't exactly prime markets. Both programs, although not bringing much to the table lately, do have quite a bit more football history. Both, given locales, have more of a Big Ten feel than an ACC school, which is primarily coastal in nature.

What is stopping Uconn from applying?

Reaction Score
This is rhetorical, but are we at the stage in college sports where one of the consistent top 5 bb programs over the last 20 years AND defending national champion (not to mention out womens program, baseball, soccor,womens polo etc ;-) )is a complete afterthought... But the fact Jim brown played somewhere 50 years ago makes someone more attractive......
......we are talking about a top 20 public u also......yet I feel like others view us like we're less than rutgers

Reaction Score
And I very much doubt that the B10 ever looks at Uconn - they don't fit the profile. To me, it's ACC or BE for Uconn - so time to hedge against the possibility of Pitt/Cuse bolting and the BE losing two of the conference staples or sit in place and watch the shitstorm take it for the ride.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by this?

UConn grabbing recruits in Mass., NY, NJ and Conn hurt Cuse a little bit, and also BC. Cutting out UConn from BCS football helps those schools.

Reaction Score
And I very much doubt that the B10 ever looks at Uconn - they don't fit the profile. To me, it's ACC or BE for Uconn - so time to hedge against the possibility of Pitt/Cuse bolting and the BE losing two of the conference staples or sit in place and watch the darnstorm take it for the ride.

What profile?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Will this open the door for Kansas and k state?

Reaction Score
If you break this all out - this is basically going in the direction of 4 super BCS conferences of 16 teams each - Pac 10, SEC, Big 10 and ACC. I just can't see that not happening. It might now be now, but it's going to happen, it just depends on how long some of the jockeying takes place with the Texas, Oklahomas and ND's of the world, the oysters of football dreamland. Everyone knows the the Big 10 is jonesing for ND - they will probably hold a slot on the 16 as long as it takes. That being said, if we can safely assume that Pitt/Cuse to the ACC and Texas A&M to SEC, that basically leaves 13 open slots in these conferences. Those slots will be filled by teams from the poached conferences, Big East/Big 12. I'm not sure there are are any teams outside of those two that any of these conferences will go after, unless geography gets all geeked up and the Pac Ten has to pull a slug out of the WAC/Mountain. So out of these poached conferences, minus Pitt/Cuse/A&M, that is a total of 15 teams left. So end sum, not many teams will be left out. Only 2 unless ND jumps into a conference, which will be 3. What could throw a wrench into this is geography - clearly a lot of teams on this list can't go Pac Ten. I would be suprised if the conference heads are banding together to make sense of some of this.

What Uconn needs to do, protect itself from not being one of those 2/3 teams. I doubt that will happen, but certainly want to be on that first wave so not to have multiple seasons in conference pergatory. Of that list, I would say the most and least attractive 5.

Most attractive(with football being the driver)
Texas(easy)
Oklahoma(easy)
Oklahoma State
Missouri
West Virginia(football) - natural fit for SEC

Least attractive
South Florida(none of these super conferences are going to want a commuter/regional school) - I think they are a sure bet to get left out
Kansas State(might follow Kansas)
Iowa St
Cinci
Tough call

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn was asked and refused. I hope the BE teams litigate to prevent this. I applaud Baylor for doing that to block A&M's move.
The litigation never works in the end. Remember BC, VaTech,and Miami. Lots of threats but eventually an exit plan gets negoiated and the teams leave.
I'm sure that Uconn has a plan and if Pitt and Cuse are talking to the ACC (my bet is they are). The athletic department has to been dealing with this issue for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom