Pitino: “That’s why next year, the only game we’re playing at Carnesecca is Connecticut. The rest, we’re gonna negotiate.” | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Pitino: “That’s why next year, the only game we’re playing at Carnesecca is Connecticut. The rest, we’re gonna negotiate.”

Reaction Score
Also - While we are at it. Can we start hyping the February 3rd early. We should make a thread and make it a point to pack MSG full of UConn fans this year. I already told my wife to circle the date in her calendar. NO EXCUSES.

LETS JAM PACK MSG! Lets make it their only sellout. Start spreading the word to the non boneyard folks
Go for it…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And every single post regarding this you only cite expense with no mention of revenue.

Omitted from this discussion each time is the PSL revenue from Hartford tickets. Given that the arena is essentially sold out for the entire season that seems relevant.
Wow, that's an outstanding observation! You really should email Dave Benedict to explain to him that the university is not actually losing $7.5 million per year because of leasing facilities from the CDRA.

Or maybe, just maybe, AD Dave knows a little bit more about this than you? Just throwing that out there as a possibility you might want to consider.

Reaction Score
Also - While we are at it. Can we start hyping the February 3rd early. We should make a thread and make it a point to pack MSG full of UConn fans this year. I already told my wife to circle the date in her calendar. NO EXCUSES.

LETS JAM PACK MSG! Lets make it their only sellout. Start spreading the word to the non boneyard folks

Lol I got 22 tickets midcourt 200 level for friends and family for my 60th. A few are actually Seton Hall or Providence fans/alums, but nobody will be wearing red. And if they love me, they will be screaming loudly for UConn.

Reaction Score
Since everyone is talking about Feb. 3rd, I got two tickets to sell. Long story short, my buddy bought two as well without me knowing lol

Let me know if interested
Sec.226-row 2

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wow, that's an outstanding observation! You really should email Dave Benedict to explain to him that the university is not actually losing $7.5 million per year because of leasing facilities from the CDRA.

Or maybe, just maybe, AD Dave knows a little bit more about this than you? Just throwing that out there as a possibility you might want to consider.

"UConn athletics operates without an estimated $7.5 million in lost revenue potential by playing some basketball games, some hockey games and all football games off campus, per its agreement with the Capital Region Development Authority."

UConn isn't "losing" anything in that scenario. First off that $7.5M number is only revenue, and doesn't account for expense, and secondly (and most obviously) being the lack of a football stadium in Storrs?

I also estimate that I operate with a $7.5M in loss revenue by not having the UConn men basketball host their games in my driveway while were at it.

"According to the university, one basketball game at the XL Center costs UConn $60,000 to 70,000. UConn spent approximately $4 million competing at the XL Center and Pratt & Whitney Stadium in 2021-22."

Notice how when UConn frames their argument they only refer to revenue lost by not playing in Storrs and when playing in Hartford only refer to expense?

If the financials were so compelling why not just paint the full picture? My guess is because they aren't as drastic as made out to be.

This is all to arrive back at the fact that it's good that UConn maintains a presence in Hartford for political goodwill as well as making themselves more accessible to fans and corporate partners.

CL82

Reaction Score
"UConn athletics operates without an estimated $7.5 million in lost revenue potential by playing some basketball games, some hockey games and all football games off campus, per its agreement with the Capital Region Development Authority."

UConn isn't "losing" anything in that scenario. First off that $7.5M number is only revenue, and doesn't account for expense, and secondly (and most obviously) being the lack of a football stadium in Storrs?

I also estimate that I operate with a $7.5M in loss revenue by not having the UConn men basketball host their games in my driveway while were at it.

"According to the university, one basketball game at the XL Center costs UConn $60,000 to 70,000. UConn spent approximately $4 million competing at the XL Center and Pratt & Whitney Stadium in 2021-22."

Notice how when UConn frames their argument they only refer to revenue lost by not playing in Storrs and when playing in Hartford only refer to expense?

If the financials were so compelling why not just paint the full picture? My guess is because they aren't as drastic as made out to be.

This is all to arrive back at the fact that it's good that UConn maintains a presence in Hartford for political goodwill as well as making themselves more accessible to fans and corporate partners.
I'm sure you're right and he's wrong. I mean he's got way more information at his fingertips than you do, but you seem very certain. Very certain indeed....

Well, actually not all that certain since you've acknowledge that you're guessing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm sure you're right and he's wrong. I mean he's got way more information at his fingertips than you do, but you seem very certain. Very certain indeed....

Well, actually not all that certain since you've acknowledge that you're guessing.

Yes, the team that brought us the estimated $7.5M revenue shortfall with the non-existent Storrs football stadium has all the answers.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, the team that brought us the estimated $7.5M revenue shortfall with the non-existent Storrs football stadium has all the answers.
No of course not. I mean he has ongoing financial information annual financials and experts that he accesses, etc. and you, well golly you have well none of that do you?

But I'm sure you're right and he's wrong.
Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No of course not. I mean he has ongoing financial information annual financials and experts that he accesses, etc. and you, well golly you have well none of that do you?

But I'm sure you're right and he's wrong.
Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

It's almost as if the numbers they feed to the media are portrayed in a manner that appears the most favorable to them!

But sure, let's hear more about the opportunity cost of playing football in Storrs as opposed to ya know, an actual football stadium that exists in reality in East Hartford.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's almost as if the numbers they feed to the media are portrayed in a manner that appears the most favorable to them!

But sure, let's hear more about the opportunity cost of playing football in Storrs as opposed to ya know, an actual football stadium that exists in reality in East Hartford.
Yeah, exactly... except weren't we talking about the XL center charging above market rates for Connecticut to lease the stadium and not about building am football stadium in Storrs?

So, you're accusing the University and the Athletic Director of lying to the media? It seems unlikely to me, but I'm sure you're right.
Kevin James Yes GIF by TV Land

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, exactly... except weren't we talking about the XL center charging above market rates for Connecticut to lease the stadium and not about building am football stadium in Storrs?

So, you're accusing the University and the Athletic Director of lying to the media? It seems unlikely to me, but I'm sure you're right.
Kevin James Yes GIF by TV Land

You interjected the $7.5M in "lost revenue" into the conversation, not me.

I didn't say Dave was lying. I said the $7.5M in "lost revenue" is an idiotic statement because we don't have a football stadium in Storrs.

In addition, each statement only tells half the picture, playing in Storrs? Revenue only. Playing in Hartford? Expense only.

Dave isn't on under oath, he can say just about whatever he wants when attempting to negotiate through the media.

If his argument was so compelling, why not just paint the full picture?

CL82

Reaction Score
You interjected the $7.5M in "lost revenue" into the conversation, not me.

I didn't say Dave was lying. I said the $7.5M in "lost revenue" is an idiotic statement because we don't have a football stadium in Storrs.

In addition, each statement only tells half the picture, playing in Storrs? Revenue only. Playing in Hartford? Expense only.

Dave isn't on under oath, he can say just about whatever he wants when attempting to negotiate through the media.

If his argument was so compelling, why not just paint the full picture?
You make a whole lot of assumptions about Dave's statement in order to discount it. Dave never said tough things, but I'm sure you're imagination is right and he's being disingenuous.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You make a whole lot of assumptions about Dave's statement in order to discount it. Dave never said tough things, but I'm sure you're imagination is right and he's being disingenuous.

What is so hard for you to understand? If UConn could just say our net income from playing in Storrs is X and our net income from playing in Hartford is Y, wouldn't that be the easiest way to compare apples to apples?

CL82

Reaction Score
What is so hard for you to understand? If UConn could just say our net income from playing in Storrs is X and our net income from playing in Hartford is Y, wouldn't that be the easiest way to compare apples to apples?
They certainly could say that, but lost revenue is a material element of this. I'm not sure why that been so difficult for you to get a handle on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They certainly could say that, but lost revenue is a material element of this. I'm not sure why that been so difficult for you to get a handle on.

Let's paint a picture, if UConn has "ongoing financial information annual financials and experts" at their disposal, and their argument is so convincing then they should be able to put the below together pretty easily.

Current:
Storrs: Rev less Expenses
Hartford: Rev less Expenses

Proposed:
Storrs: Rev less Expenses + additional games that encompass the "lost revenue" less those additional expenses

We agree they have the above? Then why dance around it with half the story?

CL82

Reaction Score
Let's paint a picture, if UConn has "ongoing financial information annual financials and experts" at their disposal, and their argument is so convincing then they should be able to put the below together pretty easily.

Current:

Proposed:
Storrs: Rev less Expenses + additional games that encompass the "lost revenue" less those additional expenses

Because you are possibly the only person on the planet who doesn't understand the notion that the university leaves 7 1/2 million a year of potential revenue on the table by leasing through CDRA managed properties?

Seriously, it is a succinct and to the point sentence and yet somehow you are confused by it? I'm at a loss unless you're arguing just to argue for some reason. But I'm going to assume that your confusion is genuine and try to walk you through this.

Let's try it this way. You've alleged that Benedict is lying because the lie is advantageous to UConn. What do you think that advantage is?

Reaction Score

Current:

Proposed:

Does anyone know if UConn had to/has to pay debt service on the Rent, or did the State pick it up? How about Gampel? Pretty sure that UConn never paid a dime for the building of the Civic Center/XL Center (which very quietly had its 50th birthday yesterday)... Trying to understand this because many universities' athletic programs are drowning in debt service for their (football) facilities but it seems like UConn isn't.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Because you are possibly the only person on the planet who doesn't understand the notion that the university leaves 7 1/2 million a year of potential revenue on the table by leasing through CDRA managed properties?

Seriously, it is a succinct and to the point sentence and yet somehow you are confused by it? I'm at a loss unless you're arguing just to argue for some reason. But I'm going to assume that your confusion is genuine and try to walk you through this.

Let's try it this way. You've alleged that Benedict is lying because the lie is advantageous to UConn. What do you think that advantage is?

Do you not understand there isn't a football stadium in Storrs? Rendering any opportunity cost of playing all athletic competitions in Storrs moot? For the 10th time even in this fantasy land scenario, you/him only cite revenue. Certainly if you double the games played on campus, or ya know, have to finance a 40,000 seat stadium there would be some expense, no?

I'm going to ask two more questions (which if you want to reply to, go ahead, if not so be it) and you can have the final word.

1. Is an estimate about the Storrs/Hartford split a bit disingenuous because there isn't the infrastructure or stadium built to accommodate football?

2. Even if you believe his $7.5M in lost revenue number, why isn't there an expense component acknowledged? Clearly they have data on that because they don't pass up the opportunity to say it cost $4M to play games in Hartford.

And I've never alleged Bennedict is lying. He's telling them about the side of the coin that is advantageous to the media so he can attempt to negotiate a more favorable deal from the state with respect to games played off campus.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you not understand there isn't a football stadium in Storrs? Rendering any opportunity cost of playing all athletic competitions in Storrs moot? For the 10th time even in this fantasy land scenario, you/him only cite revenue. Certainly if you double the games played on campus, or ya know, have to finance a 40,000 seat stadium there would be some expense, no?
What are you basing your analysis that the 7.5 million in lost revenue is based upon a football stadium in Storrs. Pro tip: "my imagination" isn't an answer.

I've never alleged Bennedict is lying.
Excellent. If he's not lying, then he is telling the truth and the University of Connecticut playing games at sites managed by the CDRA cost the university 7.5 million annually in lost revenue. That's an awful lot to pay so that people who live to the west of Hartford don't have to drive an extra 30 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom