Pistol Paige | The Boneyard

Pistol Paige

Reaction Score
I know many people are trying to compare Paige to Diana. Watching her play her game seems much more like Pistol Pete Maravich. The way she switches hands, scoops the ball, spins in the lane and drops a mid range shot. For those not old enough to have seen highlights of Pistol Pete look them up. He was probably the most skilled player handling a basketball EVER! They both seem to play in control and like chess they can figure out what's going to happen next before anyone else.

Reaction Score
I know many people are trying to compare Paige to Diana. Watching her play her game seems much more like Pistol Pete Maravich. The way she switches hands, scoops the ball, spins in the lane and drops a mid range shot. For those not old enough to have seen highlights of Pistol Pete look them up. He was probably the most skilled player handling a basketball EVER! They both seem to play in control and like chess they can figure out what's going to happen next before anyone else.

Perhaps. But how Maravich and Paige approach the game, particularly in relation to their teammates, is completely different.

Reaction Score
Like the analogy too! She's long, fluid, great handle, fearless, able to improvise, able to play the game in full stride. Personally, I have not seen her shooting range yet. I have a feeling, against stronger players at her position, she is going to have to create some space. Like the girl from Louisville. Pistol had unlimited range too. (too bad, no 3 when he played in college, he would have averaged 55 a game)

Reaction Score
Perhaps. But how Maravich and Paige approach the game, particularly in relation to their teammates, is completely different.
Love your posts! You rejected my analogy rightfully so. Nice play Mauer.
I think you're dissing Pete here. Remember he played in college for his dad. Except for knee injuries in the pros he arguably would have been a legend. He played for a lot of bad teams. He singlehandedly got LSU into the NIT, which meant a lot more in those days. His passing was legendary too. I saw him in person at the end of his NBA career at the Capital Center playing for my beloved Celtics versus the Bullets. He was a teammate. (yes, this post was "off-the-cuff" too)

Reaction Score
I think ASUWISH made a great point. Her handle makes her able to get her own shots ( a la the Pistol) or set up her teammates for simple baskets. As the season progresses and against tougher opponents, Geno is going to want Paige to shoot more rather see people missing chippies and/ or fumbling the ball.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But will CD let her wear floppy socks?
Ahh the socks. The first image I think of when I recall Pete.
Pistol_paige.jpg

Reaction Score
Love your posts! You rejected my analogy rightfully so. Nice play Mauer.
I think you're dissing Pete here. Remember he played in college for his dad. Except for knee injuries in the pros he arguably would have been a legend. He played for a lot of bad teams. He singlehandedly got LSU into the NIT, which meant a lot more in those days. His passing was legendary too. I saw him in person at the end of his NBA career at the Capital Center playing for my beloved Celtics versus the Bullets. He was a teammate. (yes, this post was "off-the-cuff" too)

Not dissing Pete at all. Can't think of a player who was more fun to watch, or more miscast with the teams he was on. Pete made some amazing passes. But he was not a pass-first player. Not in the NBA, where he averaged 5.4 assists a game, and definitely not at LSU where he averaged 38(!) shots a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you missed my point a little. Watch how she plays. scoop shots that trickery and deceptive change of pace. Watch her switch hands on a lay up, then watch a Pete video. It's the way they move. Before Bird and Magic there was Elgin and Pete who played that way in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I think ASUWISH made a great point. Her handle makes her able to get her own shots ( a la the Pistol) or set up her teammates for simple baskets. As the season progresses and against tougher opponents, Geno is going to want Paige to shoot more rather see people missing chippies and/ or fumbling the ball.
As the season goes on team mates will be looking for the pass the didn't think she could make instead of getting hit in the face. When I coached I told my best players what I called the 10 / 2 rule. If you can keep the defense honest and you get the others to score they have to play you straight up. if they double you, you make them pay and if the don't you also make them pay. This is the chess game teams play and she sees 3 moves ahead of the other players on the court.

Reaction Score
Pete acquired his legendary ball handling skills from dribbling out the car window while his dad was driving and constantly changing direction. His autopsy revealed a heart condition that should have precluded any strenuous physical activity; it was a miracle that he played so long so effectively.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
He's the all time D1 career scoring leader and never shot a 3 pointer.
1607974447651.png

Reaction Score
But will CD let her wear floppy socks?

Seriously, though, Pete was amazing. Died way too young of a heart attack (on a basketball court) at 40. He averaged 24 points and 5 1/2 assists in his 10 year NBA career and, but for injuries, would have been in the HOF long ago.

Maravich was somewhat a tragic figure; two quotes from him kind of sums things up -
“It’s hard when your father’s the coach. Sometimes you don’t know where one leaves off and the other begins.”
“I got by on talent. That was my fatal mistake.”

He also kind of predicted his death -
“I don’t want to play 10 years and then die of a heart attack when I’m 40.” Eerily, that is exactly what happened.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think you missed my point a little. Watch how she plays. scoop shots that trickery and deceptive change of pace. Watch her switch hands on a lay up, then watch a Pete video. It's the way they move. Before Bird and Magic there was Elgin and Pete who played that way in the NBA.

What makes Paige so attractive to UConn and their fans I think is not her ball or drive wizardry but her brilliant and intuitive feel the game and her teammates. When to score, when to pass, when to push pace, when to slow it down, who needs to get involved more , deciding when the simple pass is better than a no look pass etc.

Reaction Score
No 3-point shot in that era and freshmen were ineligible. His 3-season total still surpasses every 4-season total. Heck of a record!

Exciting three years for scoring, with Maravich, Calvin Murphy at Niagara and Rick Mount at Purdue. Maravich and Murphy went on to become HOFs, Mount bounced around the ABA but was just not a good enough athlete to play at that level; but he sure could shoot. Like Murphy, he averaged over 30 PPG for his three years at Purdue.

Reaction Score
Reading this stuff at the very beginning of a career makes me wonder why we just don't notify the Vatican to start the sainthood process. It'll save time, and we can worship Paige w/out delay.
Oh, wait. We're already doing that . . .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
By then her teammates will be used to her passes and ready for them. Most of them were ready Saturday.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Exciting three years for scoring, with Maravich, Calvin Murphy at Niagara and Rick Mount at Purdue. Maravich and Murphy went on to become HOFs, Mount bounced around the ABA but was just not a good enough athlete to play at that level; but he sure could shoot. Like Murphy, he averaged over 30 PPG for his three years at Purdue.
I grew up in Norwalk and once played with Calvin Murphy my childhood BB idol. He shot from just inside half court in HS and College. NO one absolutely no one had his range. He held the free throw record for years. I remember in HS and College he score over 60 pts in a game. UN BE LIv Able range.

Reaction Score

reminds me a lot of Pistol Pete!!!

Growing up in New Orleans I saw a lot of Pete at LSU .....

Reaction Score
I grew up in Norwalk and once played with Calvin Murphy my childhood BB idol. He shot from just inside half court in HS and College. NO one absolutely no one had his range. He held the free throw record for years. I remember in HS and College he score over 60 pts in a game. UN BE LIv Able range.

Great player, hard nosed and tough. Also a great baton twirler.

Reaction Score
I was in the 8th grade and I saw Murphy play for Niagara. His pregame warm ups where he made shot after shot, and passes in the layup line, I still remember. As good as the players are today, not many could hold a candle to Murphy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom