Pinstripe Bowl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pinstripe Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only point of this thread is that I don't want to hear about any RU is NYC's team ever again. All that crowing about being the city' s team and with a bowl game 45 minutes from their campus their turnout didn't look too spectacular on tv. And everyone took shots at our ticket sales and turnout in AZ last year.

No one with a clue thinks Rutgers delivers NYC unless they are 11-1. Yankee Stadium is nowhere near 45 minutes away from their campus though unless you are in Schiano's chopper.

Reaction Score
This is going to sound crazy, i cannot believe i am typing this. Yep, a very good chance I will regret it in the morning.

I think Rutgers has turned the corner athletically. There, I said it.

Are you kidding me? That football game was terrible. I can't believe we lost to Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? That football game was terrible. I can't believe we lost to Iowa State.

I can't believe we lost to Vandy either. But as far as the Pinstripe Bowl, if ticket prices were too high, keeping a bunch of folks away, then there is a disconnect between the organizers and the issue others have mentioned--that there is simply no built in Northeast passion for CFB.
And not to beat a dead horse, but notice what all the discussion is about--the image of Rutgers as a program due to seeing a lot of empty seats on TV. That's been my constant drumbeat. When our home games come on TV our stadium looks pathetic at kickoff--and folks around the country who are watching draw a lot of conclusions from that sight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is going to sound crazy, i cannot believe i am typing this. Yep, a very good chance I will regret it in the morning.

I think Rutgers has turned the corner athletically. There, I said it.

Well, it's tomorrow morning.

Are you ready to wake up and cuddle with your statement?

Or are you going to try to slowly get out of bed, find your car keys and got out of dodge before she wakes up?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Rutgers has the longest bowl win streak in the nation. Mocking them is very ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Rutgers has the longest bowl win streak in the nation. Mocking them is very ignorant.

BC had the longest streak for a while and we mocked them. Good for them winning the game, but they haven't gotten a slot higher than the Big East's number 4 yet, and haven't beaten anything more than a mediocre team. Again, you'd rather win those games than lose them, but don't take it for too much either. How much credit did you give us for winning in Detroit and Toronto?

Reaction Score
If you want to know why the casual football fans aren't at the game, just check the ticket prices.
What were the ticket prices ? I would think high if the Yankees are involved.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can't believe we lost to Vandy either. But as far as the Pinstripe Bowl, if ticket prices were too high, keeping a bunch of folks away, then there is a disconnect between the organizers and the issue others have mentioned--that there is simply no built in Northeast passion for CFB.
And not to beat a dead horse, but notice what all the discussion is about--the image of Rutgers as a program due to seeing a lot of empty seats on TV. That's been my constant drumbeat. When our home games come on TV our stadium looks pathetic at kickoff--and folks around the country who are watching draw a lot of conclusions from that sight.
This.

I think in the end, Rutgers and UConn's fansbases are in a similar spot. Rutgers has a bit more potential since their state and their school are bigger, which may be part of why they like to puff their chest out sometimes when it comes to discussions about bowl travel or who would be more likely to wind up in the B1G. But the point I'd like to make - if you are a Big East team playing in the Pinstripe bowl, you didn't have a great season, and due to the nature of both Rutgers and UConn casual fans, forking out a significant (though not exorbitant) wad of cash to see your team play without a ton of buzz or excitement surrounding the program is not an automatic like it would be for some Big12 teams. This is even though the game is being played within an hour of the borders of the states in which UConn and Rutgers are based.

Bizlawyer has made the point in the past, and I agree, that for UConn to be really taken seriously (and it applies to Rutgers too) we'd have to have our fanbase to the point where we'd snap up Pinstripe bowl tickets no matter how average the season has been. We're not there yet and maybe boneyarders can laugh at Rutgers fans but until we go to this bowl game and represent like we do at MSG, we don't have any evidence either way. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Well, it's tomorrow morning.

Are you ready to wake up and cuddle with your statement?

Or are you going to try to slowly get out of bed, find your car keys and got out of dodge before she wakes up?

Thats funny. I don't know, no regrets I guess. Maybe I'll look back at it as a character-building moment.

In all seriousness, I have seen a few of their football games now, and with the talent they have returning next year, not to mention the memory of their big bball victory readily accessible, my impression of rutgers as an athletic program is changing. It did not happen over night, but recent events have brought these thoughts to the surface.

We have lost to Rutgers in major sports in the past, football especially so don't take what I am about to say as arrogant. I have always thought of Rutgers as the hopeless losers. Because of this my animosity was mostly reserved for Cuse, Pitt, BC, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a long way to go to be considered a respectable athletic program. They still employ a lot of smoke and mirrors with their football team for sure. And they may never be able to invest in their other sports due to their neverending financial crisis. But they worry me a little more than before.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Auggie - Getting Cignetti may have been a boon for them, if you go by last night's game alone. And maybe Pernetti is a better AD than his predecessor, it's too early to tell. But there's no reason to think UConn can't match them, I expect Herbst will do a good job either making sure Pendergast is the right man for the job or finding the person who is. I think people will project Rutgers to have a better shot at winning the BE title than UConn next year, but beyond that I'm not overly worried unless PP shows no signs of progress over the next two years (I'd give him a little leeway next year since he won't have too many of his recruits on the field). Schiano is still Schiano and even if they have improved assistants and talent I expect he'll still have a coaching SNAFU now and then... so don't worry too much yet. :)

Reaction Score
My point is that it's a bit silly to mock Rutgers' turnout for their bowl game when:

A. They are playing in a bowl game and UConn is sitting home
B. They beat up at team that UConn lost to at home

It's so foolish it's painful, if you want to mock them for the crowd, check the ticket prices - they are plain flat stupid.
Normally, I would say you are right Whaler. But, they certainly mocked us for our attendance in our BCS game last year when they stayed home.
At least the excuse for UConn's lack of attendance was the game was in AZ, and tremendously expensive. For Rutgers, in NYC, all they needed to do is buy the game tickets. They didn't do that. They deserve the criticism.

Reaction Score

Folks around the country draw a lot of conclusions at the sight of Uconn losing to WM.

Reaction Score
No one with a clue thinks Rutgers delivers NYC unless they are 11-1. Yankee Stadium is nowhere near 45 minutes away from their campus though unless you are in Schiano's chopper.
And this is why RU and Uconn have not been included in any expansion. RU and Uconn can not deliver the NYC CFB market to any league. NYC has historically been a B1G market and will continue to be a B1G market for CFB. Cuse has been a distant second for that market.

You will acknowledge that anyone in NJ that wanted to go to the game could have reached it via public transportation in 2 hours or less, correct? We are talking about a total cost for a fan to get to the game of about $40 per person. Every RU season ticket holder should have been at the game. That is about the same price if Uconn went to this game and I would be disappointed if every Uconn season ticket holder did not show up for a bowl game in the back yard. RU should be ashamed about their turnout.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Sorry to hijack the thread - but hopefully a mod reads this because you can't currently create new threads. There's no box for text in the "create a new thread" doohickey, and when you try to post just a title or poll question it doesn't allow you to post without text. Can someone fix this?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Normally, I would say you are right Whaler. But, they certainly mocked us for our attendance in our BCS game last year when they stayed home.
At least the excuse for UConn's lack of attendance was the game was in AZ, and tremendously expensive. For Rutgers, in NYC, all they needed to do is buy the game tickets. They didn't do that. They deserve the criticism.

Right and they sounded like idiots. All the schools in the Big East would be a lot better off if their fanbases took care of their own business and stopped worrying about everyone else's.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And this is why RU and Uconn have not been included in any expansion. RU and Uconn can not deliver the NYC CFB market to any league. NYC has historically been a B1G market and will continue to be a B1G market for CFB. Cuse has been a distant second for that market.

You will acknowledge that anyone in NJ that wanted to go to the game could have reached it via public transportation in 2 hours or less, correct? We are talking about a total cost for a fan to get to the game of about $40 per person. Every RU season ticket holder should have been at the game. That is about the same price if Uconn went to this game and I would be disappointed if every Uconn season ticket holder did not show up for a bowl game in the back yard. RU should be ashamed about their turnout.

Yeah, I don't know why Rutgers fans didn't go. UConn would probably have drawn better yesterday if it were someone besides ISU because UConn hasn't done the Yankee Stadium thing yet. We aren't exactly in a position to be hyper-critical of team's attendance issues - but it's not like people don't ignore that fact.

Reaction Score

I think this argument would hold more water if the actually went to a bowl last season.

Reaction Score
Right and they sounded like idiots. All the schools in the Big East would be a lot better off if their fanbases took care of their own business and stopped worrying about everyone else's.
Couldn't agree more......

Reaction Score
wow...alot of false information in this thread made up. Amazing that someone just says that RU fans did not show up to the bowl and people just believe him or because you saw a shot of the crowd you can determine how many fans were there

fact is that there was 38K in the turnstile which is much different from last year when 38K was sold but not actual since alot of those tix were sold as a package for the ND-Army game at Yankee Stadium to people who had no intention of attending the game. Actual attendance last year there was 22-25K

Now yesterday all estimations from RU and the media is that RU had at least 25K in the house...and yes thats not just an inflated number. RU had several full sections but then others scattered all over the place in all 4 levels.

If you think 25K to this bowl is a bad representation well I did not know you set such high standards since I would ask you how many wold UConn send to this game given your showings at other bowl games especially last year and your home attendance which often falls short of sellouts.

Lets face it, this bowl is a tough sell to any fanbase. The Yankee do little promotion and do not really sell to any general public. They have no bowl actitivies planned, no pregame concerts. Plus for schools close like RU, UConn, and Cuse it defeats the purpose of going to a city far away and feeling the comradery of being amongst fellow fans in a different environment. Not to mention most fans want to go to a warmer location and this bowl is at the mercy of the weather which fortunately for RU fans was just outstanding yesterday

Not here as a troll or to flame just here to throw some facts to a thread that is in desperately need of them

Reaction Score

They were talking about us because we were playing in the Fiesta Bowl. The entire country was talking about us. You really think RU playing in the Bronx was comparable?

Reaction Score
wow...alot of false information in this thread made up. Amazing that someone just says that RU fans did not show up to the bowl and people just believe him or because you saw a shot of the crowd you can determine how many fans were there

fact is that there was 38K in the turnstile which is much different from last year when 38K was sold but not actual since alot of those tix were sold as a package for the ND-Army game at Yankee Stadium to people who had no intention of attending the game. Actual attendance last year there was 22-25K

Now yesterday all estimations from RU and the media is that RU had at least 25K in the house...and yes thats not just an inflated number. RU had several full sections but then others scattered all over the place in all 4 levels.

If you think 25K to this bowl is a bad representation well I did not know you set such high standards since I would ask you how many wold UConn send to this game given your showings at other bowl games especially last year and your home attendance which often falls short of sellouts.

Lets face it, this bowl is a tough sell to any fanbase. The Yankee do little promotion and do not really sell to any general public. They have no bowl actitivies planned, no pregame concerts. Plus for schools close like RU, UConn, and Cuse it defeats the purpose of going to a city far away and feeling the comradery of being amongst fellow fans in a different environment. Not to mention most fans want to go to a warmer location and this bowl is at the mercy of the weather which fortunately for RU fans was just outstanding yesterday

Not here as a troll or to flame just here to throw some facts to a thread that is in desperately need of them

What a dumb thread.

1. People on here post wildlly inaccurate facts about our program. You are really here to complain we do that about yours?

2. And you are seriously wasting bandwidth comparing selling tickets for a game 50 miles away from your campus to a trip that, conservatively, cost UConn fans $1200 per person and three days? You don't see that as apples and oranges? More like ants and elephants.

NIce win. Go away.

Reaction Score

You claim RU put 25K fannies in the seats. Plus you try to remind us that we poorly attended our BCS game last year. What is known is UConn sold around 4,000 overpriced packages to a bowl game nearly 3,000 miles away. What is not known is around 12,000 UConn fans paid between $100-$200 less for tickets by getting them on their own and made their own travel arraingements. That's approximately 16,000 UConn fans traveling 3,000 miles to a game vs 25K Rutgers fans going across the river to only pay for the game and, perhaps some drinks in celebration of your victory.
Because UConn fans put more fannies in the seats at MSG, than St. John's, my guess is UConn would've done a hell of a lot better than Rutgers for a bowl game @ Yankee Stadium. I'm sure UConn will play in this bowl game at some future point, and we'll see then how we fare vs RU.
BTW, nice win vs Iowa State. But, as a UConn fan it was quite pleasurable to watch UConn put that whupping on you guys.
See ya next year./

Reaction Score
Rutgers always seems to be about the sizzle......recruiting rankings, stadium expansions, proclamations about fan following and the never ending (nor materializing) B10 invite.

Problem is, Rutgers never delivers. At some point you have to hang a championship banner or folks will realize you are full oh .

Reaction Score
You claim RU put 25K fannies in the seats. Plus you try to remind us that we poorly attended our BCS game last year. What is known is UConn sold around 4,000 overpriced packages to a bowl game nearly 3,000 miles away. What is not known is around 12,000 UConn fans paid between $100-$200 less for tickets by getting them on their own and made their own travel arraingements. That's approximately 16,000 UConn fans traveling 3,000 miles to a game vs 25K Rutgers fans going across the river to only pay for the game and, perhaps some drinks in celebration of your victory.
Because UConn fans put more fannies in the seats at MSG, than St. John's, my guess is UConn would've done a hell of a lot better than Rutgers for a bowl game @ Yankee Stadium. I'm sure UConn will play in this bowl game at some future point, and we'll see then how we fare vs RU.
BTW, nice win vs Iowa State. But, as a UConn fan it was quite pleasurable to watch UConn put that whupping on you guys.
See ya next year./
Yonick I would say there was more than 16,000 UConn fans at Fiesta bowl last year. I would put it around 20,000. From my seat it looked that way at least. Definitely NOT 4,000!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom