Pikiell vs Hurley | The Boneyard

Pikiell vs Hurley

Reaction Score
Knowing what we know now, who do you guys think has a better career?

I like Hurley, he's a good recruiter, but Pikiell seems like a better X and O's guy. I wonder if JC even thought of Pikiell as an option in 2012. I know that he was at Stony Brook at the time. I just wonder if JC ever thought of him as a potential successor

Reaction Score
Hard to compare at this point. Pikiell is in his 4th season at Rutgers while Hurley is obviously in year 2. Rutgers was 15-18(3-15) and 15-19(3-15) his first 2 years. Was also under .500 in year 3 but now this year they are seeing some success. Hurley is off to a similar start in his first 2 years.

What I take from comparing these 2 coaches is we need to have some patience with Hurley and let him get a full cycle of recruiting through the program before we start really comparing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't believe Pikiell has ever made the tourney, although he won his conference regular season at Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
Pikell’s teams play hard, tough, grind, & play great defense- looking forward to see more if he is able to get more talent...

Reaction Score
Hard to compare at this point. Pikiell is in his 4th season at Rutgers while Hurley is obviously in year 2. Rutgers was 15-18(3-15) and 15-19(3-15) his first 2 years. Was also under .500 in year 3 but now this year they are seeing some success. Hurley is off to a similar start in his first 2 years.

What I take from comparing these 2 coaches is we need to have some patience with Hurley and let him get a full cycle of recruiting through the program before we start really comparing.
Rhode Island is doing pretty well this year with many of Hurley's recruits. Give him time to get the skill level up.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he ends up leaving Rutgers down the road for a big time school. Rutgers is in a great conference but I can’t see him staying there forever.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I just wish Steve Pikiell was doing this anywhere other than Rutgers.
In an ideal world maybe he does get hired in 2012. Do we still win in 2014? Would we have lost guys?

Reaction Score
Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria

Final: NO. 9 Maryland 56, Rutgers 51 The Knights rushed it down the stretch and took too many low-percentage shots.

Rutgers making some bad decisions and rushing the offense down the stretch here. They've had their chances for sure.

Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
Seems like a good place to put these articles. Amore and Borges both have articles up about Pikiell and parts of the articles compare the building job Pikiell has gone through at Rutgers to what Hurley is doing. Patience is the key, they both say.

There is a word that gets under Steve Pikiell’s skin, turns the smile on his face to a cringe.

“Instant,” he says, in a tone Batman might use in referencing an arch villain. “Everyone wants instant. There is no instant. I’ve never been part of instant.”

“First of all, I love Danny (Hurley),” Pikiell said. “I think it’s a great hire. He’s gonna do a great job, he really is. I’m the biggest Husky guy going. (Assistant coach) Tommy Moore and I have been friends for a long time. I love Tommy being there. They’ve got a great staff. I’m very confident in the job that Coach Hurley will do. Getting back to the Big East is tremendous for the program and for the UConn fan base. Great move there. Go back to where your roots are, where you belong.”

Reaction Score
My next choice will always be Musselmen. He is already turning Arkansas around in a pretty tough SEC this year.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Lot of people talking about Hurley's in game coaching. If this is something thats an issue, coaches can grow and improve just like players can. Its not like DH doesn't have the connections or the will to become a better in game coach. Once again I have full trust in Hurley in every facet of his coaching ability. Hurley >>>> Pikiell

Reaction Score
Pikiell will probably keep them solid most years but Hurley has huge recruiting advantages going forward. Yes, the Big Ten is a great conference but so is the Big East. Hurley has a much bigger name and UConn has a much better brand. It is really on the staff to take advantage of the things they have working for them. Pikiell has a much tougher job. If he turns Rutgers into a regular top 25 program, he’ll have his pick of jobs, including UConn, should we need him.

Reaction Score
Seems like a good place to put these articles. Amore and Borges both have articles up about Pikiell and parts of the articles compare the building job Pikiell has gone through at Rutgers to what Hurley is doing. Patience is the key, they both say.

There is a word that gets under Steve Pikiell’s skin, turns the smile on his face to a cringe.

“Instant,” he says, in a tone Batman might use in referencing an arch villain. “Everyone wants instant. There is no instant. I’ve never been part of instant.”

“First of all, I love Danny (Hurley),” Pikiell said. “I think it’s a great hire. He’s gonna do a great job, he really is. I’m the biggest Husky guy going. (Assistant coach) Tommy Moore and I have been friends for a long time. I love Tommy being there. They’ve got a great staff. I’m very confident in the job that Coach Hurley will do. Getting back to the Big East is tremendous for the program and for the UConn fan base. Great move there. Go back to where your roots are, where you belong.”

I thought the Steve Pikiell articles that Borges and Amore wrote were very well done. I did not know Pikiell donated to the building of the practice facility. I thought that was nice considering we have many NBA alums who Im sure did not donate. Im not saying any of our NBA guys should be required to do that, Its just that those NBA alums have made a lot more $$$$ than Pikiell, but he made a donation to his alma mater.

Reaction Score

Hopefully once he get more of his type players, we'll see better results. As of now the lower Rutgers recruits are performing. They're also a fairly younger squad the Uconn bunch so I expect more then a one year showing for Steve

Reaction Score
I do think Pike is slightly better but never easy to be 100% inless they coached same players in same games. Pike showed signs each season with close games or a conference game upset. I do not think we upset anyone in Hurley's two years? #myopinion

Reaction Score
The willingness this Hurley team has to slug it out to the bitter end loss after loss is what I hang my hat on. Put one natural born killer on our roster and we are dancing. This guy has these kids ready for battle, he just doesn’t have the weapons.

Reaction Score
Imagine the uproar if we had hired a guy in 2012 whose career record at that point was 95-118 at Stony Brook.

Imagine the uproar if we hired a guy in 2018 with a roughly .500 career record who had coached two years at a P5 school with a conference record of 6-30

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria

Final: NO. 9 Maryland 56, Rutgers 51 The Knights rushed it down the stretch and took too many low-percentage shots.

Rutgers making some bad decisions and rushing the offense down the stretch here. They've had their chances for sure.

Sound familiar?
The crappy shooting in that game and also in the Duke/BC game on at the same time (yes I cannot believe I was switching back and forth between these two games but it was better than watching SOTU) was reminiscent of our games indeed!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Great article, thanks for posting. One quote stuck out to me as one that might need to be read by a few posters here...

“In this league, I don’t know how you’d do that instantly,” Pikiell says. “First year here, I was trying to figure out the league, figure out the roster. By the time I got the job, there were no players left. Now, you go to Year 2, you’ve kind of figured out the league a little bit, started changing your roster, guys that can help. Year 3, we flipped our roster, but now we’re young. You get to Year 4, you just plug away. You build to who you are.”

This was never going to happen overnight.

Reaction Score
The crappy shooting in that game and also in the Duke/BC game on at the same time (yes I cannot believe I was switching back and forth between these two games but it was better than watching SOTU) was reminiscent of our games indeed!!
Especially the quick contested 3 by the Rutgers player.

Reaction Score
Pikell deserves a huge pay day for what he has done at Rutgers. He would be an idiot to stay there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom