Pikiell recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pikiell recruiting

Reaction Score
Will never cheer for Rutgers, bc, cuse, lville, or Pitt in any way. Ruck futgers.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rutgers, 'cause we're halfway between Philly and NYC! ;)
That, in and of itself is why Rutty should have been a far better men's hoops program. Hell, with the talent between Philly & NYC, by barely trying they should have been able to field teams at the bottom third of the top 25 most years over the past 70+ seasons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That Or he's learned a trick or two from JC about how to approach recruits and their families.

Maybe, but if that were the case one would think the results would be consistent over his tenure instead of ticking up during the NIL era.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe, but if that were the case one would think the results would be consistent over his tenure instead of taking up during the NIL era.
Quit throwing logic when I'm trying to rekindle admiration for the GOAT!

CL82

Reaction Score
Will never cheer for Rutgers, bc, cuse, lville, or Pitt in any way. Ruck futgers.
Rutgers gets a collective meh, from me. They've never really taken anything away from us. They definitely got the golden ticket by virtue of being in the NYCDMA and New Jersey having the population density of Calcutta, but it's hard for me to fault them for that.

Pitt, I guess I have some residual dislike of them from the Big East. They were a physical, quasi-dirty, team of 28-year-olds but it's been a while for me to care significantly.

I'm good with the rest of the list though.

Reaction Score
Always loved Pikiell especially while he coached at my alma mater Stony Brook. But even back in those days I always felt Pikiell struggled coaching and getting his teams ready for the big games.

His teams would consistently falter down the stretch even when significantly favored.

Even at Rutgers he hasn't really been to breakthrough. I hope this is finally his shot for a breakthrough post-season

Reaction Score
I'm happy for his successes in whatever form they take. I am astounded by Steve's recruiting success. It makes me believe that he's working with a pretty sizable bag of NIL money though. That's not a good thing for us.
This may very well be the case but there was some discussion that Mulcahy and Spencer left partially because of lackluster NIL. Two other pieces of context regarding their two 5 stars. Air Bailey plays for an AAU team that is run by Brandin Knights’ childhood friend Omar Cooper. Both are from NJ and I think he’s the godfather to someone in that orbit too. And Dylan Harper’s brother went to Rutgers. All credit due to Pikiell for leveraging these connections and relationships. Even with them it’s tough to close the deal. All that being said is that this recruiting class is very much a statistical outlier and have never had better than the 32nd best class during Pikiell’s run. I will do a complete 180 if they follow up with another top 10 class.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He’s nothing remarkable as a coach - a couple of one and dones won’t change his stars.

Just got shellacked at Wake Forest.

Taking one of the most downtrodden basketball programs in America and making them a tourney team is pretty may not be "remarkable" in a deep Big 10, but it's pretty damn good.

CL82

Reaction Score
This may very well be the case but there was some discussion that Mulcahy and Spencer left partially because of lackluster NIL. Two other pieces of context regarding their two 5 stars. Air Bailey plays for an AAU team that is run by Brandin Knights’ childhood friend Omar Cooper. Both are from NJ and I think he’s the godfather to someone in that orbit too. And Dylan Harper’s brother went to Rutgers. All credit due to Pikiell for leveraging these connections and relationships. Even with them it’s tough to close the deal. All that being said is that this recruiting class is very much a statistical outlier and have never had better than the 32nd best class during Pikiell’s run. I will do a complete 180 if they follow up with another top 10 class.
It would be a even recruiting coup by Pikiell if it wasn't NIL based.

CL82

Reaction Score
Taking one of the most downtrodden basketball programs in America and making them a tourney team is pretty may not be "remarkable" in a deep Big 10, but it's pretty damn good.
An alternative view: Being a part of one of the two premier sports conferences in America and receiving in the vicinity of $70 million a year in broadcast rights distributions while you are sole accomplishment is "making the tournament" isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Reaction Score
That Or he's learned a trick or two from JC about how to approach recruits and their families.
Pike is no stranger to trickery.

Rutgers_20image.0.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
An alternative view: Being a part of one of the two premier sports conferences in America and receiving in the vicinity of $70 million a year in broadcast rights distributions while you are sole accomplishment is "making the tournament" isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

They would have made the NCAAs the COVID season and they got robbed last year, so it should have been 4 straight seasons. Obviously doesn't look good for them in 23-24 though. Given they hadn't made a tournament in the 30 years prior though.. yeah id say it's pretty damn good.

Was UConn not in the "premiere" basketball conference in America when then the NIT was celebrated as a major accomplishment? Or how about the Dream season that ended with an Elite 8 win?

Your hard on for SUNJ blinds you here.

Reaction Score
How the hell does Rutgers get 2 of the top 3 recruits? I don’t get it, don’t they have different dream schools they want to go to.
NIL $

CL82

Reaction Score
They would have made the NCAAs the COVID season and they got robbed last year, so it should have been 4 straight seasons. Obviously doesn't look good for them in 23-24 though. Given they hadn't made a tournament in the 30 years prior though.. yeah id say it's pretty damn good.

Was UConn not in the "premiere" basketball conference in America when then the NIT was celebrated as a major accomplishment? Or how about the Dream season that ended with an Elite 8 win?

Your hard on for SUNJ blinds you here.
Lol I have no particular animosity toward Rutgers. In fact, I make annual contributions to it, granted, those contributions come in the form of New Jersey state taxes, but they're still contributions nonetheless.

Imagine what Hurley could do if our athletic department had an additional $70 million a year for media rights, plus an additional $15 million per year as our share college football playoff revenue, plus if we had the additional brand value of being a member of the Big Ten. Making the tournament is nice, but it's nothing to write home about giving those advantages.

Still, I am happy for Pikiell. I wonder what his career at Connecticut would've been like had he not been injured.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol I have no particular animosity toward Rutgers. In fact, I make annual contributions to it, granted, those contributions come in the form of New Jersey state taxes, but they're still contributions nonetheless.

Imagine what Hurley could do if our athletic department had an additional $70 million a year for media rights, plus an additional $15 million per year as our share college football playoff revenue, plus if we had the additional brand value of being a member of the Big Ten. Making the tournament is nice, but it's nothing to write home about giving those advantages.

Still, I am happy for Pikiell. I wonder what his career at Connecticut would've been like had he not been injured.

I'm not sure exactly what Hurley could possibly do more at this juncture. Now, Mora.. different story.

Fact is nobody thought SUNJ would be anything but a bottom feeder in Big Ten hoops ala what State Penn has been forever.

Pretty interested to see what they do next year with Harper and Bailey.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure exactly what Hurley could possibly do more at this juncture. Now, Mora.. different story.

Fact is nobody thought SUNJ would be anything but a bottom feeder in Big Ten hoops ala what State Penn has been forever.

Pretty interested to see what they do next year with Harper and Bailey.

Rutgers finished top half of the Big 10 3 times in the past 4 years. Must be all that TV money giving them an advantage over their conference mates.

Reaction Score

Kinda Cam Spencerish I believe, but more PG than SG

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

He’s in an athletic department that has an advantage over all but a bare handful of schools in terms of the resources available to him and he’s managed to attain mediocrity.

Woo.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He’s in an athletic department that has an advantage over all but a bare handful of schools in terms of the resources available to him and he’s managed to attain mediocrity.

Woo.

They take less tv rake than 12 of the 13 teams they play in their own league...so what is it then? Must be the storied history of Rutgers hoops, or perhaps the state of the art arena?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom