Picture Of Practice Facility? | The Boneyard

Picture Of Practice Facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
has anyone seen this: http://campaignforuconn2011report.org/new-potential/athletic-development-center-campus/

this is the first picture i have seen of the proposed bball practice facility. for what it is worth, the uconn construction reports still report the design of the facility completing in 2014. unless they raise money more rapidly than planned, this building is 4-5 years out.

if you notice the graphic for the other athletic facilities, they have pictured the softball field behind the bball practice facility, with the soccer and baseball fields consuming the vacated softball space.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how realistic that entire plan is? I know the bball facility is pretty certain, but by the looks of it, Morrone would be leveled for the football fields and a new soccer field would be placed over the old softball field. Building a new arena for the soccer program would be incredible, especially considering the great fan support the team already has with goal patrol and what not. And a new bball practice facility would obviously be awesome. But as a tax/tuition payer, I'm concerned with who's paying for it. Does anyone know how UConn is going to finance this?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how realistic that entire plan is? I know the bball facility is pretty certain, but by the looks of it, Morrone would be leveled for the football fields and a new soccer field would be placed over the old softball field. Building a new arena for the soccer program would be incredible, especially considering the great fan support the team already has with goal patrol and what not. And a new bball practice facility would obviously be awesome. But as a tax/tuition payer, I'm concerned with who's paying for it. Does anyone know how UConn is going to finance this?
I'm sure they have a ton of money from the bcs bowl, the basketball teams, the soccer team etc... plus donors

Reaction Score
Syracuse's new Carmelo Anthony Center is by all accounts the best state-of-the-art facility of its type. The facility was just a dream for several years (with fund-raising going nowhere fast) until Melo committed to the "naming gift." As soon as that happened, other donations flowed in.

I would think the same thing would have to happen at UConn. The school will have to get the ball rolling with a significant "naming gift." Then people would see that their contributions were going to go to something tangible. I am surprised that none of UConn's NBA millionaires have stepped forward with a naming gift. Melo's gift was in response to a request from Jim Boeheim. Perhaps some UConn alum would be amenable to a similar request from Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
really? didn't think they would

Well basically the school is on the hook for their allotment of tickets, which they didn't sell anything close to their allotment, so they had to make up the difference. Tough to sell a trip to Arizona right after the holiday season especially when the odds of winning weren't exactly in our favor.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Syracuse's new Carmelo Anthony Center is by all accounts the best state-of-the-art facility of its type. The facility was just a dream for several years (with fund-raising going nowhere fast) until Melo committed to the "naming gift." As soon as that happened, other donations flowed in.

I would think the same thing would have to happen at UConn. The school will have to get the ball rolling with a significant "naming gift." Then people would see that their contributions were going to go to something tangible. I am surprised that none of UConn's NBA millionaires have stepped forward with a naming gift. Melo's gift was in response to a request from Jim Boeheim. Perhaps some UConn alum would be amenable to a similar request from Jim Calhoun.
Have a bunch contribute a million each and call it The Allen Hamilton Gordon Gay Butler Meka! or maybe The Alumni Training Facility would be better.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Well basically the school is on the hook for their allotment of tickets, which they didn't sell anything close to their allotment, so they had to make up the difference. Tough to sell a trip to Arizona right after the holiday season especially when the odds of winning weren't exactly in our favor.
The $50 tickets on stubhub were the problem. Anyone with any sense was buying their tix online thru thrid parties and not the university. In retrospect, I wish I would have do that instead of dishing out the $257.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has publicly stated he refuses to accept any donations for the practice facility from his former players. It's his position that the fans should have to foot the bill.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has publicly stated he refuses to accept any donations for the practice facility from his former players.

You are kidding, right?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think that was while JH was in control and there was bad blood that JH wasn't getting the facility moving at all. i think that will change quickly...

Reaction Score
You know what always struck me funny. Calhoun is always bragging about haow many NBA players he produces. People say how his ex-players love him etc. With all the bitching Calhoun does about not getting a practice facility, why haven't some of "his" NBA players stepped up and contributed the cash to buils his practice facility?

Reaction Score
You know what always struck me funny. Calhoun is always bragging about haow many NBA players he produces. People say how his ex-players love him etc. With all the bitching Calhoun does about not getting a practice facility, why haven't some of "his" NBA players stepped up and contributed the cash to buils his practice facility?

Because they hate him, he takes all their glory when he brags about producing NBA players. If only he were more like Bill Donahue, the BC Coach.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun has as great a relationship with and is as close to his former players as any coach has been in the history of the game. That's not the problem.

Reaction Score
First of all it's Steve Donohue and I'm not sure what he has to do with it.
Second: What is the problem? Why haven't Ray Allen and company heped him out? Just curious.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Second: What is the problem? Why haven't Ray Allen and company heped him out? Just curious.

Read my first post on this thread. Here it is again:

"Jim Calhoun has publicly stated he refuses to accept any donations for the practice facility from his former players. It's his position that the fans should have to foot the bill."

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Now, that doesn't mean his position might change now that Jeff Hathaway is gone.

Reaction Score

It's because their Coach isn't as good as Steve or whatever his name is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Read my first post on this thread. Here it is again:

"Jim Calhoun has publicly stated he refuses to accept any donations for the practice facility from his former players. It's his position that the fans should have to foot the bill."
that's truly unfortunate if still true. it will be a cold day in hell before the facility ever gets built, then. oh well.

Reaction Score
Why won't he accept donations from past players. Don't you think he's taking an adversarial position against the fans?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Why won't he accept donations from past players. Don't you think he's taking an adversarial position against the fans?
I have no idea why he feels this way. I speculated it may have had something to do with his relationship, or lack thereof, with former AD Jeff Hathaway. Maybe its something more personal. It does come across as adversarial, yes.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think it has exponentially more to do with you pulling that statement out of your @#$%@#%#%, but I could be corrected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom