Piath? | The Boneyard

Piath?

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see that she's had a chance to play some this year. She will be needed next year. I haven't been able to see any of the games that she has played in this year. Does she appear to be able to contribute significant minutes next season?

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see that she's had a chance to play some this year. She will be needed next year. I haven't been able to see any of the games that she has played in this year. Does she appear to be able to contribute significant minutes next season?
While you can see the steady improvement, Piath is still rather mechanical and predictable with her moves and shots --you can see the real athleticism underneath--wow she moves so graceful like a deer at 6'5'--but the footwork, shot selection and fluidity of moves that make for a contributing, significant player are yet to be realized. Although you can see improvement, right now, she simply flings the ball over smaller players to the basket. That works against the lesser teams but not against the premium ones who have near equal size Her rebounding has improved a lot and so has Piath's defense. To answer your question, IMO, presently, Piath needs further grooming in order to reach the level of a contributor

Reaction Score
This would be a good question to ask Geno. Statistically she only saw 59 minutes in 11 of 27 games. This being end of game minutes.
Just an opinion as that is what this forum is I think her playing time will be determined on how much she improves over the summer for one.
Number two would be determined by Dorka, does she stay or does she go? Obviously number three is does another good catch like Dorka come along in the portal?
I like the fact Piath has been a loyal husky and done all the right things being a team player. Wishing nothing but the best for her next year. I might ad this season of a roller coaster ride is not over. ;)

Reaction Score
Devil’s Advocate: some players just suddenly “get it” and improve drastically almost before you can blink. Suddenly the brain and the body just align.
I went to a huge suburban HS and out of the blue a player would just emerge, ready to challenge for a starting position. Her pedigree? Her brother was a monster athlete- Kentucky then the NBA. Maybe she’s got the genes

Reaction Score
This would be a good question to ask Geno. Statistically she only saw 59 minutes in 11 of 27 games. This being end of game minutes.
Just an opinion as that is what this forum is I think her playing time will be determined on how much she improves over the summer for one.
Number two would be determined by Dorka, does she stay or does she go? Obviously number three is does another good catch like Dorka come along in the portal?
I like the fact Piath has been a loyal husky and done all the right things being a team player. Wishing nothing but the best for her next year. I might ad this season of a roller coaster ride is not over. ;)
Excellent points--in addition to Dorka, also in the factoring will be the two stellar freshmen coming in next year--Ice and Ayanna--it remains to be seen how Geno will actually deploy them, but both have great athletic talent and pretty much know how to play the game--they just need to learn the UConn system and develop accordingly. Conversely, Piath is having to learn to play the game and IMO that probably puts her behind the incoming freshmen in 2022.

Reaction Score
If Paige, Azzi and Nika weren’t injured, some the critiques here would probably apply to Caroline. Many of the recent games were over in the first half. Amari and Piath could of had a lot more than garbage minutes. You never know when you may need a contribution from a player during crunch time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It's my belief that at the beginning of the year we will see Amari as the first big off the bench as Dorka and Aaliyah start in the post. I'd like to see Yanna and Ice contribute by tournament time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's my belief that at the beginning of the year we will see Amari as the first big off the bench as Dorka and Aaliyah start in the post. I'd like to see Yanna and Ice contribute by tournament time.
I hope you are right but... IMHO Amari has a few things to work on - the main one being playing with a sense of urgency. She glides around the court, never seems to attack for rebounds (gets them if the ball comes to her), and doesn't play with intensity or urgency. IIRC, Geno said (like he said about Olivia early on) that Amari practices poorly, but does much better in games.

Having said that, no one can doubt her raw talent. But if you have a raw-ish talent like Ayanna who plays with an uber-high motor and 100% effort and intensity, I could easily see her on the depth chart ahead of Amari, regardless of basketball skills.

Ice is a bit more of an unknown in that she has the skills, but will need some conditioning to get up to being a "UCONN" level player.

I love the story of Piath. She was SO raw when she came to UCONN. But you can see how much she's improved. Still, she needs to improve a fair bit more before I would think she'd be able to contribute meaningful minutes in a meaningful game.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wow this year isn't even over yet and we're talking about next years issues, it's just mind blowing.:confused:
It's the Boneyard.
Never too soon to declare we're doomed.

Regarding Piath, I wish she was further along. When she gets time on the floor she appears out of sync. I love to watch her run, as she can be very graceful. However, it's the end of her sophomore year and I don't see much progress from last year. They say bigs develop more slowly, so I am hoping. She seems like a great kid. Go, Piath!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Reading these comments makes me think that some of you believe that Piath will not improve at all over the Summer. She did improve some from last season and I believe will continue to improve. DeBerry will be a factor, but the two new recruits have to first learn the UConn system before they make any kind of positive impact, imo.

Reaction Score
Agreed re: Piath's mechanical movement in paint, which certainly needs refinement.

However, I'm encouraged by her willingness to play physically & "get her nose dirty" inside.

The team can use her length/defense/rebounding as soon as next year, even with her offensive repertoire still limited to low post seal layups.

I expect that she will get non-garbage PT against lesser BE teams to permit continued improvement & keep her engaged with game play enough to be available as a fallback option against better opponents if needed (e.g. foul trouble, etc.).

Reaction Score
While you can see the steady improvement, Piath is still rather mechanical and predictable with her moves and shots --you can see the real athleticism underneath--wow she moves so graceful like a deer at 6'5'--but the footwork, shot selection and fluidity of moves that make for a contributing, significant player are yet to be realized. Although you can see improvement, right now, she simply flings the ball over smaller players to the basket. That works against the lesser teams but not against the premium ones who have near equal size Her rebounding has improved a lot and so has Piath's defense. To answer your question, IMO, presently, Piath needs further grooming in order to reach the level of a contributor
Agree. While 99% love Paith, she is limited offensively. Too early to predict but she will get her playing time next year based on defense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that players like Amari and Piath (and also including Ice and Ayanna next year) need to play sound defense before they need to contribute to scoring if they want to see non-garbage minutes next year. Even against good opposition, UConn can afford to have a non-scoring big player on the floor for 10 or 12 minutes while someone else is in foul trouble, as long as that non-scoring big is not a defensive liability. She needs to play tough against the opposing bigs, and she has to rebound aggressively and successfully, especially at the defensive end.

If Dorka returns, then she and Aaliyah will be UConn's starting 4 and 5, and against good teams, they will probably play close to 40 minutes if they can stay out of foul trouble. But since they probably can't do that, someone else will have to get minutes. Unless there is a "Deus ex transfer portal" solution, that means that at least one of Piath / Amari / Ice / Ayanna will have to learn to defend the paint and rebound, and after that, to score. I think that at least one of the four will rise to the challenge. Maybe two or three of them will.

If Dorka doesn't return and a portal transfer-in does not occur, then one of the above four players will have to make a big leap forward next year (comparable to Caroline this year), or UConn will have an undersized front court of Aaliyah and Caroline, most likely. That is probably enough to beat everyone but the really big and skilled teams -- we know who they are.

But after UConn flew the Hungarian flag and played the Hungarian national anthem for her, how could Dorka not return?

Reaction Score
I hope you are right but... IMHO Amari has a few things to work on - the main one being playing with a sense of urgency. She glides around the court, never seems to attack for rebounds (gets them if the ball comes to her), and doesn't play with intensity or urgency. IIRC, Geno said (like he said about Olivia early on) that Amari practices poorly, but does much better in games.

Having said that, no one can doubt her raw talent. But if you have a raw-ish talent like Ayanna who plays with an uber-high motor and 100% effort and intensity, I could easily see her on the depth chart ahead of Amari, regardless of basketball skills.

Ice is a bit more of an unknown in that she has the skills, but will need some conditioning to get up to being a "UCONN" level player.

I love the story of Piath. She was SO raw when she came to UCONN. But you can see how much she's improved. Still, she needs to improve a fair bit more before I would think she'd be able to contribute meaningful minutes in a meaningful game.
No worries about Brady. Conditioning for a motivated kid with a motor like her won’t take long at all. But you don’t develop or work on a motor, you either have it or you don’t. We’ll see who has one and who doesn’t this fall.

Reaction Score
Actually, I’m more concerned with Amari’s play.
Highly recruited prospect.
Looks kind of lost on the court.
I can understand that with the complex offense.
But not on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
It often takes a long time- to senior year, for centers, even those highly regarded, to develop in the UConn system. e.g. Ono and Tina.

Plaith is very determined. Over last summer she completely changed herself physically. She go to practices early and this year she has developed a very clean catch and shoot move on the right side.

I think she will gain some more muscle, block shots, and make an occasional lay-up as a senior.

Reaction Score
Actually, I’m more concerned with Amari’s play.
Highly recruited prospect.
Looks kind of lost on the court.
I can understand that with the complex offense.
But not on the defensive end.
Amari's disconnect is not uncommon among freshmen--if you watch HS basketball, defense does not seem to be as premium as offense, so they are largely one-dimensional players. Amari is no exception--she has the talent--it will be up to her to develop the drive and the necessary transition to be a contributor next year....

Reaction Score
You truly never know when a player doesn’t get the opportunity, but I generally go by the eye test. For me, she still looks lost defensively and hasn’t shown a variety of offensive moves. If our season rests on her, I wouldn’t be super confident. I’ll never write a player off before seeing them in action, but I understand that at Uconn, some players are never going to get prime time action.

At this point I’m far more curious about Amari. She has the high school pedigree, looks to have a nice shooting touch, and is a decent passer. Her ceiling is higher according to my eye.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reading these comments makes me think that some of you believe that Piath will not improve at all over the Summer. She did improve some from last season and I believe will continue to improve. DeBerry will be a factor, but the two new recruits have to first learn the UConn system before they make any kind of positive impact, imo.
Genuinely curious to know what areas you think that Piath has improved in this season? I view her a pretty much the same player as she was last year. Additionally Piath has lost a great deal of weight and carrying the burden of having to get used to a new basketball body.

Reaction Score
We all were happy to see Piath getting some minutes here and there. She has a lot of potential. Her upside is huge. As for next year, a lot just depends on how badly she wants to play and how all of the roster moves develop over the next 6-7 months. Definitely would love to see her become a major player over her remaining time at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom